Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hollywood or Boston?
Boston 10 26.32%
Hollywood 28 73.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 PM

5 posts, read 15,926 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I need some help deciding which would be a better city to move to.. I am a 20 year old musician currently living in a small, backwoods town in Connecticut. I play guitar, write music (working on a demo CD now), and I consider myself fairly well rounded musician. I would love to further my music education and career.

I plan on attending college, but can't decide between Musicians Institute (LA) or Berklee (Boston). But it's so much trickier than that... I have been accepted to MI (start in late March if I go, so I have less than a week to decide if I should go). I didn't get into Berklee because I made a stupid mistake regarding paperwork and I am fairly certain I have a decent shot at getting in if I reapply.

I just can't decide.. I want to get as far aways from CT and the east coast as possible... but Berklee is known as the better school... But I got into MI already... I hate the weather in New England, but I don't know anyone in Los Angeles...

Anyone have any advice they could possibly offer? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'd also like to add: I've been to both cities. I spent a week in LA a few months ago (October) and loved it. But Boston was great as well...

Last edited by RockGypsy; 02-14-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:12 AM

215 posts, read 490,916 times
I will tell you that Los Angeles will probably be tougher to adjust to because of the fact that you don't know anyone here, however being in school will help you meet people faster. If it were my career I would go with the sure thing and move down here since you have already been admitted. Ultimately, this is your decision and you are going to have to dig deep.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
I will tell you that Los Angeles will probably be tougher to adjust to because of the fact that you don't know anyone here, however being in school will help you meet people faster. If it were my career I would go with the sure thing and move down here since you have already been admitted. Ultimately, this is your decision and you are going to have to dig deep.
Thank you for replying. It seems like LA would be the obvious choice but it is just such a hard decision. Is Hollywood a decent place to meet people?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Well it can be, but I have experienced that after school/college is out, you really have to make an effort to meet people. So, in other words, make friends while you are in school. I went to college in the Midwest and then moved out here without knowing anyone...needless to say it took me close to 6 months to really have any friends at all. I am social, but you just don't have as much opportunity to meet with people in an intimate setting once you are out of college. I used meetup.com and coworkers as resources.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
Well it can be, but I have experienced that after school/college is out, you really have to make an effort to meet people. So, in other words, make friends while you are in school. I went to college in the Midwest and then moved out here without knowing anyone...needless to say it took me close to 6 months to really have any friends at all. I am social, but you just don't have as much opportunity to meet with people in an intimate setting once you are out of college. I used meetup.com and coworkers as resources.
Is there a good nightlife? I ask because as a musician, I find it important to find live music as much as possible. Thank you for all your help!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 PM

Haha yeah its Los Angeles, you can go to live shows 7 days a week here and that is no exaggeration. The nightlife outside of the music world is very good as well, any type of bar you can imagine and some you cannot exist here in multiples. If you like dives, we have dives. If you like lounges, we have lounges. If you like clubs, we have clubs. If you like crazy themed bars, we have those too. If you are underage or not in to the bar scene, there are art shows and hobby groups and lectures, etc... You name it you can find it here.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockGypsy View Post
But Boston was great as well...
Musta not been Winter.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
OP, did you post a similar thread in the Boston forum? What did they say there?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 AM

67 posts, read 186,169 times
Hi. I actually made the move from Boston to LA. I would say try out LA and if you don't like you can always go back home. While I really don't like LA I might end up working at a national park such as Yosemite in the Spring which I never thought I would do. Even if I go back to the east coast I will always have these amazing experiences.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny77 View Post
did u just ask if la has good nightlife?
A good music scene is what I meant! When I visited nobody could help me with where to go for live music...

I didn't post another thread in the Boston forum, I wanted everyone in LA's opinion... as that is what I am leaning towards more.

Is Boston in the Winter bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles