Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM

159 posts, read 491,325 times

Advertisements

Is this really true?

Of course, maybe if I asked an older middle-aged adult, it's very likely this person who's lived his or her life in Southern California has been to NorCal at least once, but you'd be surprised at how many people down there have never been to San Francisco. I live in Northern California (Santa Rosa) all my life (I'm 18, pretty young) and my friend's 30-year-old half-sister, who's lived in Bakersfield most of her life, has never been to San Francisco until last month, when I met up with her up here in Sonoma County. Interestingly enough, she spent a few years of her life living in Seattle, so she's been everywhere on the west coast except for Northern CA.

I asked this guy from San Luis Obispo if it's typical for a person from there to visit Northern CA often, and he said "not really." He said many of the people there have never been to SF, but have been to Anaheim for Disneyland and other places in SoCal. I asked this guy from LA, who lives in a low income area, and is the son of African immigrants (who are not very wealthy), and he's never been up here. Only few of his friends have been up here.

So, what do you think? Do you think it's true a great majority of Southern Californians have never been to good ol' NorCal, especially San Francisco? Is there something about this place that seems boring or uninteresting to SoCal people? Is Sacramento a part of school field trips for Southern CA public schools?

I myself have never visited Southern California until I was 16, two months before I turned 17, and I did like it and found out it's really different than where I'm from! I've never been to another state besides CA, but I've been to China, and Canada. I've flown over Oregon and Washington though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Bakersfield and SLO are Southern California?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 PM

159 posts, read 491,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Bakersfield and SLO are Southern California?
SLO isn't, but I guess it's a bit closer. CenCal, I guess for both? They're still much closer to LA than where I live, or San Francisco for that matter, and I think the lifestyle is more similar to that of Southern California's. But other people I've known from LA online have never been up here nor most of their friends.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
and I think the lifestyle is more similar to that of Southern California's.
Everyone I know there would clip your chin at that insult...

But anyway, the Tehachapi Mts have always been my dividing line.

I can't imagine never having visited N Cal, but I'm on the old side.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,577 times
I once had a girlfriend who lived in Alameda. Nice quiet little town -- at least it was back in '92.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 AM

215 posts, read 490,993 times
I live in LA, I have never been North of Malibu. I have been to 40 states and 4 countries though. I don't have a reason for not going to NorCal, I just never had a compelling reason to go as I don't know anyone up there and I am not going to spend a week alone on vacation.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
My father started taking me on hunting trips in the 60's to northern CA. I was raised So CA but my heart was always northern. My wife and I live in the Yosemite national park.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
In my experience, Southern Californians are less-traveled than the average people.

I knew people in the IE that had never been further than LA or San Diego, even more who hadn't been further than Las Vegas or Phoenix. Northern CA doesn't seem to be as popular a destination. It's pretty sad IMO, but for some, Southern CA is all they really know.

I've been to 20 states, and Canada and Mexico. I've traveled through Northern CA off and on since I was 5. Though, I haven't gone back through there since 2005 (I no longer live in CA).

Old 02-15-2012, 05:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
In my experience, Southern Californians are less-traveled than the average people.
Contrary to many media-inspired images of SoCal people, many are living paycheck to paycheck, if they're getting one at all. Travel is nowhere in the budget, and the urge isn't really there since they already live in a place that has tons of things to do, and great weather to do it in.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Keep in mind California is huge. It's like asking if someone from Florida has been to Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles