Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM

399 posts, read 727,788 times

Advertisements

I think I saw Cocktail at the UA Marina in 1988. Not sure why I went there and not one of my usual theaters in the South Bay as I was living in Gardena at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Saw "E.T." there in 1983. That was a busy mall back then.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 4,234 times
Default I miss Marina Marketplace FTW!

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!
Many, many good fond memories at this place (Marina Marketplace)
Here's a list of the stores, and shops my friends used to hang out, and even worked at;

-The Men's Wearhouse (A few friends of mine used to work at the suits place circa '95-'97. It was great!
Went to school part-time at Santa Monica College while working. Had access to all of this great places at the time whenever we wanted really! A great company to work for too!)

-Jerry's Famous Deli (Didn't hang out much because of the pricey menu we were college kids after all, most of our money went towards girls, and our cars lol!)

-Bagel shop next to the Mens Weahouse ( pretty good bagels been there a few times, although not a fan of bagels so I wasn't a frequent customer)

-76 Gas station (yup, usual hang out here, cigs, chips, cokes, and gas)

-Laundromat along the side of Vons/Pavilions across from Jerry's Deli (washed a few clothes here, pretty chill place)

-Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch (Yeah this place was great! Good ole' down south soul food!)

-The Wherehouse ( remember this place? Rented a bunch of VHS movies, and Playstation PS1 games here, even bought a few of them. A friend of mine used to work at this place too, i remember the hook ups. Good times!)

-United Artists Theatres (How can I forget? Saw a bajillion kajillion movies here, from Hackers, First Knight, Eraser, Devil's Advocate, The Matrix, Braveheart, From Dusk till Dawn, etc etc...not to mention few hundred dates with hot girls!!!!! AWWWWW GOOOOOOD TIMES!!!!!!) A Major Hang out!

-Donut Shop (Chill place, the asian lady who was always there was great! They had this choc chip + bear claw thingy that was prolly a million calories but damn oh sooo good! They also had the best Hot Chocolate in town!)

-Baja Fresh (When this opened it was a big deal because on grand opening day they were giving away free food! Been a great hang out ever since.)

-Supercuts (got my haircut a few times at this place. Not bad. I remember when I pulled out my dayrunner yes, dayrunner organizers, remember those? lol to pay the hot looking latina cashier and in she saw my mini Holy Bible next to my emergency condom and she was aghast at the very sight of it. It was amusing to say the least!)

-Panda Express (your usual mediocre americanized asian food, but great hang out nonetheless)

-Coo Coo Roos Chicken (I found the food there was a little too healthy for my taste but still hung out there a few times)

-Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (MAJOR HANG OUT!!!! I was there every time I was in Marina Marketplace. Great People, Great Staff at the time. Even a had a friend work there, it was amazing place. So alive on the weekends! No better place to be on weekends, and on a Sunday!) A Major Hang out!

-Barnes & Noble (Again another MAJOR HANG OUT!!!! I love books, I love the smell of new books, I loved the location at the time, reading books and magazines for free and at my leisure.....and a coffee shop a few steps away, and great staff, and atmosphere at the time. It was magical! Miss those days!) A MAJOR HANG OUT!

-Cineplex Odeon (Saw The Matrix, Event Horizon, The Little Mermaid, and a bunch of countless movies at this place. Much bigger, and better compared to UA, but UA always had the foot traffic because it was on the plaza, and it was smaller.)

-Souplantation (I loved this place! Even had a cute asian girl working there at the time giving me all the hook ups! Ate there whenever i can!)

-Good Guys! (Had a bunch of friends and acquaintances worked here and hung out here. Great place at the time, even bought my Playstation here along with Resident Evil. A bunch of the staff here went to the best hang out on the Marina Marketplace.......)

-WESTWORLD ARCADE (Bammmm! Yup, this was in fact the very place to be if you're a gamer! At the time, they had Sega Rally on the left right when you enter. In front you was Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. Next to Sega Rally on your left they had Alpine Racer. Next to that was Centipede, Galaga, Ms Pac Man, Metal Slug, across was After Burner. To your right as you entered you would've seen Puzzle Bubble, next to that was Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat 2 or 3 can't remember, next to that machine was Virtua Fighter 2. Behind that was Punch out. As you made your way on the lower floor you would've seen at the time California Cruisin' at the very center of the floor. At the far wall on the left was Virtua Cop and on the right TEKKEN 2 where I spent most of my days and quarters on.....that was the game back then! I found myself even studying the moves more than I was studying for finals....lol! So many memories at this place! I was playing Tekken 2 one of them days and I would play versus Todd Bridges (Different Strokes) a gamer himself alot of the times. Even taking my friends and I, to his Marina Del Rey house.....it was great!

Around this time, many current world events was happening....Monica Lewinsky scandal, Resident Evil 1 was released on the PS1, Nintendo 64 was released, Mike Tyson bit Holyfield's ear off, Chicago Bulls was NBA Champions and Jordan named MVP, Backstreet Boys was just coming out, it was a memorable moments in history, gone forever.

Last edited by SashimiX76; 05-08-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-20-2022, 01:56 PM

Default Bumping this back on top.

Who else misses MARINA MARKETPLACE MDR?

Old 12-20-2022, 03:17 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiX76 View Post
Who else misses MARINA MARKETPLACE MDR?
A lot of people! https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-...ey-gotten.html

Old 12-20-2022, 07:04 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I recall the Sports Chalet store there also, enjoyed shopping there for golfing & hiking equipment. Sports Chalet is now closed. When I attended college in the ‘80’s, this shopping center was a place to hangout Friday & Saturday nights. We would have a meal close by, take in a show, then go to bars on Admirality Way. Great times and memories!

Old 12-21-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I recall the Sports Chalet store there also, enjoyed shopping there for golfing & hiking equipment. Sports Chalet is now closed. When I attended college in the ‘80’s, this shopping center was a place to hangout Friday & Saturday nights. We would have a meal close by, take in a show, then go to bars on Admirality Way. Great times and memories!
I remember walking in that SC and looking at all the cool sneakers I could not afford then (this was in the 90's and I was in college...)

The Souplantation I used to eat at had this cute asian girl working there and she would hook me up whenever I ate there.
I always found it funny how right next door there was... I think a LA Fitness, because I wouldn't be able to concentrate working out while seeing people gorge on their salads IMO.

I remember there was GAP there as well, bought a sweater there I think.

Cineplex Odeon was another one, I saw lotsa movies there. I remember in particular INDEPENDENCE DAY premiered there if I recall. Also saw Contact, Se7en, Showgirls, The Matrix, First Knight, and other movies I can't remember, although I did see more movies at the United Artists Theatres further down, only because it was right next to Westworld Arcade, which was indeed the hang out back then....ah nostalgia!

Old 12-21-2022, 03:29 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
I went out there for Tower Records, occasionally catching a matinee while there. Later it was my wife's Soup Plantation location before the transfer to The Bridge before they went belly up.

Old 12-21-2022, 04:39 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Tower Records was across the street.

There was a soup plantation at the bridge? I don't remember that. But then again, they've always had a hard time holding onto restaurants there.

Old 12-21-2022, 04:56 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Yep, I recall all the cool sneakers at Sports Chalet.

I think I recall Souplantation also, not 100% sure.

There was a bar/restaurant called “The Red Onion”, I think, on Admirality Way (just south of this shopping area) that was a great spot to hangout at in those days.

Westwood Village was the hangout spot in those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiX76 View Post
I remember walking in that SC and looking at all the cool sneakers I could not afford then (this was in the 90's and I was in college...)

The Souplantation I used to eat at had this cute asian girl working there and she would hook me up whenever I ate there.
I always found it funny how right next door there was... I think a LA Fitness, because I wouldn't be able to concentrate working out while seeing people gorge on their salads IMO.

I remember there was GAP there as well, bought a sweater there I think.

Cineplex Odeon was another one, I saw lotsa movies there. I remember in particular INDEPENDENCE DAY premiered there if I recall. Also saw Contact, Se7en, Showgirls, The Matrix, First Knight, and other movies I can't remember, although I did see more movies at the United Artists Theatres further down, only because it was right next to Westworld Arcade, which was indeed the hang out back then....ah nostalgia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles