Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,986 times

Advertisements

Hi, I hope someone here can help. My daughter is hoping to join the Acting Corps in North Hollywood so needs somewhere to stay for approx 9 months. She will not be earning money as she will be on a student visa so we will be paying her rent. Need a room in a family home or a single room in a shared house/apartment etc. Can you please advise of how and where I can advertise for this and also the kind of rent I should expect to pay? We are in the UK so we dont know anything about USA/Los Angeles rents!

Many thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,382 times
Craigslist or better yet, roommates.com.

Might also find something on Westsiderentals.com, but roommmates should do the trick.

Rents for rooms start at around $400-500. $600-800/mo generally gets you full house privelleges and your own bathroom. Anything more than that and its probably best to just get your own place as studios start around $900.

If this is real(theres lots of fakes on craigslist), this would be ideal although your daughter would have to figure out a bus route as its just a little too far to walk 2 1/2 miles to the school.

Room for rent in great house (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/roo/2864278086.html - broken link)

Generally in North Hollywood, you'd want to stay south of Burbank Bl. Also, parts of Burbank are very close to the school as well(its near the border of North Hollywood and Burbank).

Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 AM

331 posts, read 734,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneloopylady View Post
Hi, I hope someone here can help. My daughter is hoping to join the Acting Corps in North Hollywood so needs somewhere to stay for approx 9 months. She will not be earning money as she will be on a student visa so we will be paying her rent. Need a room in a family home or a single room in a shared house/apartment etc. Can you please advise of how and where I can advertise for this and also the kind of rent I should expect to pay? We are in the UK so we dont know anything about USA/Los Angeles rents!

Many thanks for your help!
Hi, I'm British and I live in North Hollywood - try craigslist.com and search on North Hollywood.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM

76 posts, read 236,599 times
Yep, Craigslist.org is a good place to start, especially if you're looking to have her share rooms with someone. I also used Rent.com and Westsiderentals.com to search for apartments in the NoHo area. But these last 2 apply if she primarily wants to have a place of her own. Usually the three of these sites will have the same listings (at least based on my experience). In the search field for Criaglist, type NoHo or NoHo Arts District. That should get her near to the Acting studio.

Last edited by Jean Jeunet; 02-22-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Craigslist seems to be a bit confusing in its ads - sometimes the apartments are actually by the week even if implying that they're by the month. If you see a three bedroom apt going for $500, it's likely to be per week or else one of the numerous scams. If it seems to good to be true ......

That shouldn't be a problem with rooms though, I think the scams aren't likely to use a simple room as bait.

At the moment of this writing, one pound will buy you $1.57. XE: (GBP/USD) British Pound to US Dollar Rate

Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,986 times
Thank you so much for all the advice, it is really helpful and gives us an idea of where to start! It is always such a worry when young people are going so far from home! Thank you all so very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles