Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM

30,852 posts, read 36,738,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Saying no one buys a home or starts a business without a loan is just buying into the ideas that make you dependent.
Right on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,526,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I do think the cost of housing is a rip off in coastal CA (and even many of the inland areas aren't much of a bargain, either).
I don't understand this sentence. "Rip off" implies someone is being misled or deceived through exploitation.

The cost of housing in coastal California is high (generally), but I'm curious as to what makes it a "rip off".

Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM

30,852 posts, read 36,738,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I don't understand this sentence. "Rip off" implies someone is being misled or deceived through exploitation.

The cost of housing in coastal California is high (generally), but I'm curious as to what makes it a "rip off".
Point taken.

I feel it's a rip off when you almost have to be a middle class professional to be able to afford a modest one bedroom apartment in most coastal CA metro areas (without living payday to payday). But it's true, no one is forcing people who work for low wages at WalMart and Target to live here.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,994,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinkman View Post
You should buy whatever youbcan afford? At 35k a year (which is an income alot of people will kill for ) you might possibly save 2-3k even after. 10years that's still not much maybe 20-30k . I doubt you can afford any Home even if there is no inflation
You know, home ownership is not a basic human rights issue.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You know, home ownership is not a basic human rights issue.

Our Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie society we live in doesn't want to have to work to earn things. I bet they also want a 75k car on a 35k salary.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,508,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Our Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie society we live in doesn't want to have to work to earn things. I bet they also want a 75k car on a 35k salary.
Having been in the car biz, that COULD be pulled off, but its certainly a longshot

This thread actually got me thinking about rents in Los Angeles, so I went on craigslist last night and saw that 2 bedroom homes were renting for $2600 a month! WTF?

I could rent a 2 bedroom in Las Vegas or Orlando for as little as $600 a month. My current house in Orlando is 3 beds, 2.5 baths and rent is $825

Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

In short, we are getting screwed by forces beyond our control at times....but the larger part of is is we are screwing ourselves with our collective poor choices.
There is a general gross misinterpretation between "needs" and "wants" in our culture. We're pretty damned spoiled.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I could rent a 2 bedroom in Las Vegas or Orlando for as little as $600 a month. My current house in Orlando is 3 beds, 2.5 baths and rent is $825
Las Vegas/Orlando =/= Los Angeles. Just a wee bit difference there, no?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 AM

7 posts, read 9,707 times
Here's how it works. House prices are based of supply and demand. When another person is willing to pay 700k for that house its worth 700k. Here's the screwed up part. The guy your competing against most likely doesn't have the 700k so it is a bank loan so really your competing against the bank. And since you don't have 700k cash either you most go to bank and get loan too
So in reality the bank owns your house and your competors home until you pay them in 30-40years but guess what...miss a payment and poof house is gone and next guy is paying 80% of his income for the house you thought you owned. Same with cars look around any nice new car on the street the bank owns.. by the time you pay it off its a broken price of crap and you don't wanna own it. Same with a house by the toms you own it your 70-80 years old and need a nursing home and not a home

Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 9,707 times
90% of your income just goes back to the same bank that printed the money you worked for . Think about it food. Housing. Gas/oil etc all bank owned. Very few unmorgaged farm land. So yes it is supply and demand so it a competitive market. The big problem.is this
...... your competition has a money printing machine and you don't so that's why you never own anything your always basically a renter. Unless you pawn off that overpriced home to some other dummy.who signed his next 30 years of work life over. But then the moral issue of selling someone into slavery and getting rich off flipping homes.... legal theft for banks and you are the henchman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles