Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,920 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to move my family to the Long Beach area (we are coming from AZ). We are looking at a house that is 4 blocks east of Pacific and E Hill. Would you feel safe having your family there? What is the neighborhood like? Does the neighborhood seem to be improving? Any information you can pass on is greatly appreciated. We are trying to find a house by pictures only and it is difficult. Any information on the area is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:37 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,253,464 times
the area is definitely improving a lot. it used to be horrible. it still isnt the most desirable area, though. what is your price range and how much will you be making a year. are you single? how many children? if you really like the area, make sure to stay in that specific area...don't go east to signal hill or north at all. north long beach is very ghetto, though it is getting better.

read post 6 from this thread and you will see what i mean about not going north in the second paragraph.
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ml#post1457889

that said, about if i would move there with my family...i probably would if i really wanted to come to LA and that was my highest price range. if you keep the house long enough, you will end up living in maybe a middle-middle class neighborhood instead of upper-lower class or lower-middle class. the area is fine if thats all your wallet can handle. also, if you're worried about the crime, its nothing like compton or inglewood or north long beach. if you use common sense such as always locking your doors and windows when not home with a male in the house, always lock your car, don't let anyone walk alone, etc. i would suggest installing a secruity system just in case. i have one in my home and i live in an upscale neighborhood...im just paranoid like that. also, maybe get a dog that is known for barking at strangers, particularly a type of terrier.

so, all in all, if thats all you can afford, its a fine area. i strongly encourage you to install a security system and get a dog. also, don't let the kids walk home, pick them up if you can. maybe go for walks to the store with your spouse. the schools arent so hot, though, just like any other school in LAUSD.

i know i will have someone else here saying "you put down the area too much", but i actually think its a pretty nice area. the homes look nice, you're near long beach airport, you're near the beach. you just gotta have common sense anywhere unless you live in beverly hills or malibu.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 PM

23 posts, read 334,515 times
Default There's a big middle area in Long Beach

"don't go east to Signal Hill or north at all."

There are lots of great areas north of Hill Street and east of Signal Hill. The area north of Hill but west of Pacific is nicer than the area you asked about. The area north of Wardlow is VERY nice. "North" Long Beach is generally north of the train tracks north of Del Amo Blvd and west of Cherry Ave. But even in North Long Beach, there are pockets that are nicer.

Long Beach is a very "pocketed" city, meaning you can cross a street and be in a totally different type of neighborhood.

What is your price range??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles