Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 04:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm glad you are enjoying LA so much, but I've done exactly what you have asked of Chicano. I've explored many areas of this city and have tried to like it, but come up with seeing as the worst city I have ever known. I don't even compare it to other cities. Sure I love New York, but I'm always looking at LA on its own. And on its own it is a city that comes up short, very short.
The fact you didn’t t even ATTEMPT to qualify this as a subjective opinion makes me think your dissatisfaction says more about you than it does about the city. Excluding mass transit, your statement is false by almost any objective metric. And if you did not know about mass transit in LA before arriving, that’s also on you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
LA is LA.

It shouldn't try to be NYC or Chicago.
It isn't trying to be. When L.A. starts losing population every census like Chicago, then it can start following that model.

Oh, and Lol @ the guy from TAMPA of all places calling Los Angeles the worst city he's ever known. Tampa!!! Please let the door hit you on the way out.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 08-05-2013 at 05:14 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm glad you are enjoying LA so much, but I've done exactly what you have asked of Chicano. I've explored many areas of this city and have tried to like it, but come up with seeing as the worst city I have ever known. I don't even compare it to other cities. Sure I love New York, but I'm always looking at LA on its own. And on its own it is a city that comes up short, very short.
Well now, that love affair didn't last long.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM

52 posts, read 75,597 times
The whole "We have bigger buildings, so we're more of a city" argument is tired and silly.

Outside of it's downtown, Chicago is mostly really depressing. 75% of Chicago is a gang wasteland: Empty factories, foreclosed homes, miscellaneous condemned buildings.....

Explain to me why home prices in LA blow Chicago home prices out of the water? The desirable real estate areas in LA are much more expensive than Chicago's desirable areas. And, yes, LA's less desirable real estate is still more expensive than Chicago's "bad neighborhoods". Why is that?

No worries though, Chicago has lots of big shiny sky scrapers you can stare at.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Well now, that love affair didn't last long.
Not even long enough for a quick slap-and-tickle.

If someone can't find some things they like about a place a big and diverse as Los Angeles then either they don't know what they're looking for or they're determined not to like anything at all. But it's true that everyplace isn't going to appeal to everyone, nor should they. If they did, they'd all live there.

I worked in L.A. for awhile. While there was much I enjoyed about it and while my family and I visited periodically, I never wanted to live there. That was nothing against L.A. It just wasn't my druthers.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not even long enough for a quick slap-and-tickle.

If someone can't find some things they like about a place a big and diverse as Los Angeles then either they don't know what they're looking for or they're determined not to like anything at all. But it's true that everyplace isn't going to appeal to everyone, nor should they. If they did, they'd all live there.

I worked in L.A. for awhile. While there was much I enjoyed about it and while my family and I visited periodically, I never wanted to live there. That was nothing against L.A. It just wasn't my druthers.
Well said. There is a qualitative difference between this assessment and one that concludes any city is inadequate because somebody didn't get a pony. There's really no need to respect the second opinion.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:12 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I know, just find it unusual that you went from loving LA to hating it so quickly.

If you don't mind sharing, also curious why you don't like it anymore.
I'm confused too. This is the first I remember hearing this. Last month he said he was super happy.

Not that it matters, people do the "California dreaming" all the time and it rarely turns out they way they envision. There is a constant stream of people moving in and out of LA and CA in general. I think the key is meaningful work, family, friends, and enough $ to enjoy what the state has to offer. If any of that is missing people don't seem to stick around, even with al the cool stuff.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm confused too. This is the first I remember hearing this. Last month he said he was super happy.

Not that it matters, people do the "California dreaming" all the time and it rarely turns out they way they envision. There is a constant stream of people moving in and out of LA and CA in general. I think the key is meaningful work, family, friends, and enough $ to enjoy what the state has to offer. If any of that is missing people don't seem to stick around, even with al the cool stuff.
Things like relationship breakups, job layoffs, serious illness diagnoses, arrests (or even a nasty speeding ticket), family/close friend emergencies/deaths, can cause anyone to be unhappy where they are.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
what's the summer like in LA?
For downtown, about 84 degrees (average) maximum temp and about 64 minimum (average) temp. A lot of sun and little or no rain. Low to moderate humidity.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM

428 posts, read 848,527 times
Why does Chicago have so many murders? Why is Chicago politics currupt? Why is New York mayor Bloomberg racist? Why does New York stop and frisk. Why are both concrete jungles? This thread is old and has been discussed numerous times. What difference does it make? Most cities west of the Mississippi have bad sprawl and central city urban cores that are not as strong as the eastcoast. Duh. We get it. Study history and settlement patterns then you would know why. New York has been a major American city since the 1600's. Los angeles did not become a major city till the 1900's. You cannot make the comparsion it is apples and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles