Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,316,839 times

Advertisements

I've moved away from L.A. twice in my adult life and I'll never do it again. Once I fell for the sales pitch of another city and the whole "cheaper" thing. That was the dumbest move I've made...yup, it was cheaper. On any given day I can walk to a plethora of restaurants of various vibes, ethnicities and social classes. I love the diversity here, it makes for a very, very interesting city. I can go to a different museum every day from tomorrow until next August and never see the same one twice. The weather is the best as I hate rain and humidity. I can drive with my top down pretty much any day of the year. It's nice to see people who keep up their appearance. I love to do things later and I have cafes and such in my neighborhood open until 4am. I can drive 10 miles and be in a different climate. I'm in the center of the entertainment industry and it's been fun, both watching and participating. I find it easier to make friends here than other cities. I can meet someone and have lunch with them on the spot. This didn't happen other places. Pick your neighborhood or your urban village, it's pretty much all here. I've looked other places and never found it. I can make more money here than anywhere else too. I love the topography and the vibe. My quality of life is best in L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 03:34 PM

55 posts, read 170,785 times
Default The theme of the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I've moved away from L.A. twice in my adult life and I'll never do it again. Once I fell for the sales pitch of another city and the whole "cheaper" thing. That was the dumbest move I've made...yup, it was cheaper. On any given day I can walk to a plethora of restaurants of various vibes, ethnicities and social classes. I love the diversity here, it makes for a very, very interesting city. I can go to a different museum every day from tomorrow until next August and never see the same one twice. The weather is the best as I hate rain and humidity. I can drive with my top down pretty much any day of the year. It's nice to see people who keep up their appearance. I love to do things later and I have cafes and such in my neighborhood open until 4am. I can drive 10 miles and be in a different climate. I'm in the center of the entertainment industry and it's been fun, both watching and participating. I find it easier to make friends here than other cities. I can meet someone and have lunch with them on the spot. This didn't happen other places. Pick your neighborhood or your urban village, it's pretty much all here. I've looked other places and never found it. I can make more money here than anywhere else too. I love the topography and the vibe. My quality of life is best in L.A.
Yes i admire your thread Sorcerer68; and all replies, this is what am trying to get at. Quality of life is more than the whole money(i'm not ignoring it at all though) and other etc issues, if your life is fullfilled/happy with where you are, then you will pay as high,go through traffic, and etc to be there. I knew their had to be other benefits that outweigh the negatives in LA, and other places. Thanx for comments.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:10 AM

8 posts, read 39,999 times
I've only lived here for 2+ months but absolutely loving it here so far. Many have given all reasons why they are staying here. I've been to LA several times, and I loved my few previous trips. Let me start by saying that perhaps I'm lucky because I have not encountered any of the horror stories mentioned over here. I was a bit freaked out after reading crazy stuffs posted over here, but perhaps those warnings helped out a lot because now I know what to avoid.

Back to your questions, before moving to LA, I went on a tour around the world including Australia, South East Asia, East Asia, Europe, UK, to NY before moving to LA. My mind was set for LA before going on that tour, though I must admit I always love NY (and SF because I have friends there). LA is the best because it has everything, great job opportunity, great weather, when it comes to food... oh, the variety is simply awesome if you like food.

As for location, it's relatively close to Vegas, San Diego and North California. It's very difficult to get bored over here, I always look forward for the weekends because there's just so much to do here that I just cannot wait for Friday. Though work and traffic might be stressful, but it's all worth it when Friday arrives. To me, that's why I love to live here.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 33,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Nicely put :-) I agree with every point !!!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,686,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Part of what keeps me here is the knowledge of how difficult it would be to move back to L.A. if I moved somewhere else and decided I didn't like it! It's a little scary to think that it's a one-way exit. I've lived here all of my life, and it is still "home", despite all of the problems. Having said that, I'd still like to live somewhere outside of L.A. County before I die!
I feel kind of the same way. I actually discovered this thread while browsing the LA forum and what a great idea for a topic.

As for what still keeps me in LA, one of the main reasons would be that because I've been here so long(26+ years) and it would be hard to leave. The thing is when you have been in a place for so long, you get used to the place so much that it is familiar for you. I am here also because I really enjoy the diversity of people and the things to do. There are lots of good music venues since I'm a big music lover. The food here is fantastic. There is food from just about any country here in LA county which is another plus.

This is where I have spent most of my life. I went to school in LA county and grew up here, so I have a connection to this place. But I'm also like you that I'd like to try spending time and/or living somewhere outside of LA county. And of course I grew up watching Magic Johnson and the Lakers! I heard the late Chick Hearn's broadcasts for so many years and I felt like it was such a joy listening to that man. I have so much to be grateful for and I am happy to be alive. I just love life and I will live my life to the fullest. Once the national economy picks up(which it will eventually), I can then think about where I'd want to go to. But for now, life is pretty good, all things considered

Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,447,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I feel kind of the same way. I actually discovered this thread while browsing the LA forum and what a great idea for a topic.

As for what still keeps me in LA, one of the main reasons would be that because I've been here so long(26+ years) and it would be hard to leave. The thing is when you have been in a place for so long, you get used to the place so much that it is familiar for you. I am here also because I really enjoy the diversity of people and the things to do. There are lots of good music venues since I'm a big music lover. The food here is fantastic. There is food from just about any country here in LA county which is another plus.

This is where I have spent most of my life. I went to school in LA county and grew up here, so I have a connection to this place. But I'm also like you that I'd like to try spending time and/or living somewhere outside of LA county. And of course I grew up watching Magic Johnson and the Lakers! I heard the late Chick Hearn's broadcasts for so many years and I felt like it was such a joy listening to that man. I have so much to be grateful for and I am happy to be alive. I just love life and I will live my life to the fullest. Once the national economy picks up(which it will eventually), I can then think about where I'd want to go to. But for now, life is pretty good, all things considered
Great to finally see some positivity on here! I'm very happy for you!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,686,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Great to finally see some positivity on here! I'm very happy for you!
Thanks. I try to be positive as much as I can. Every place is what you make of it. Since this is a positive thread I will only discuss the positive aspects of LA. It is quite remarkable how I even got to this point because there were times I felt like I did not even want to be here anymore. But I realized that if my attitude stayed negative, I'd be a miserable person. So, I decided to change my attitude and its worked pretty good. My life's not perfect, but when will it ever be? There will be things that you won't like about where you live but I think it is crucial to not let them get to you. For instance, I could choose to be grumpy because of the fact that I've been without work for a while(due to the bad economy) but what's the point of that? Not many people will want to be around a grumpy person. I realize I am not alone and that many others are struggling. At least I have my eyesight and health. I have the luxury of living in a nice home where I am well fed every day and I can still keep the lights on. A lot of people don't have this.

Realizing these things makes me feel good. The thing I try to focus on is what I have now and not what I don't. I know there are people out there who will wonder why I'm still here. But this is my life and not theirs. I encourage others to try and hang in there and find a way to survive. I believe there will be better times for people in this country

Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,110,685 times
i'm still here because i have a job here #1, but besides that, both my wife and I's family live nearby and I love the weather and the coast. it's taking a long time to save to buy a house, but otherwise we can afford it and enjoy the dining options and numerous activities available to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles