U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,400 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

Ive been reading this site for a long time, just never had a reasson to post anything. Until now.

The question i have is what are some of he areas that I should avoid looking at when it comes to finding a place to rent? Im looking for the LA suburbs and a house to rent. No need for any of the "good school" towns cause everyone is past school age atleast.

I stumbled upon a "nice looking" house for rent at a nice price.....after looking up Pacoima online its very clear why its so inexpensive.

If you know of towns that have housing in the $2200-$2800 a month price range for a 3-5br house within 1hr-1.5hrs of LA Im all ears. Kinda tough to find a place when all I come across are towns Ive never heard of and no idea if its gang infested or multimillion dollar homes. Actuaally, I dont even know how far 1 hour or 1.5 hours from LA actually is. I know it takes me around an hour to an hour and a half to drive 22 miles during a commute into Manhattan. is it the same there?

The only criteria I really have is a available parking for 4 vehicles. Some of the towns near where I live dont allow overnight street parking. So unless the town you mention allows it it must have a wrap around driveway or something. I dont know if California has those types of laws but gotta ask.

Moderator cut: link removed

is this a bad area? A craigslist scammer? Seems like a good deal for the sq ft youre getting but what do i know.

Any info you cna give would be very appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by Count David; 04-04-2012 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: sorry, new members are not allowed to post links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,305,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan88 View Post
I stumbled upon a "nice looking" house for rent at a nice price.....after looking up Pacoima online its very clear why its so inexpensive.
Yes--You should always avoid towns where people spray paint RIPs.

Pacoima:

Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM

184 posts, read 315,122 times
The thing is L.A is such a big city . I think living 22 miles away you might have a similar commute time.

I live 18 miles from where I work and it can take about 1hr30mins each way (From North Hollywood in the San Fernando Valley to Brentwood Area of West L.A)

Even driving across the whole valley will take you over an hour.

So I think you kind of have to have an idea of where you want to be. You mentioned commuting...but do you know where exactly you'll be working?

I would really recommend living close to work as traffic is really stressful. Checkout craigslist too if you haven't already, a lot of listings on there .

Also L.A. Crime Maps - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times LA Crime Map project - gives you a good idea of crimes that are occurring in the area. It shows you specific crimes.

Also you mentioned overnight street parking. In many dense areas there is permit parking, if you live in the area you can get a permit to park overnight. It just depends on the area.

Regarding overnight /permit parking. This site might be helpful for you

LADOT

Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 PM

53 posts, read 164,216 times
Packfan88, I’m not sure why you are wanting to move to Los Angeles, because you have left out too many details, so I can only guess at some things and try to provide you an answer. It seems that your emphasis’ are put on places to avoid living (so you don’t waste time looking at them, rent wise), a rental house (with 3 to 5 bedrooms) and available parking for 4 vehicles, you lean towards wanting to live in the suburbs, you are okay with “driving” 1 to ½ hours to get to Los Angeles (driving use one way). Do I have this correct?

Moderator cut: see note Personally, I would not want to live in that neighborhood, because that is a very tight and compact & busy area of town. IMO The streets are narrow and parking is ugly and tight (3rd St. and Western Avenue).

Yet it would help to know if you are retired and or how often would you need to be in Los Angeles per week. If you are still working, I would just say try to rent a doable house as close to your job as you could get. Yet I would need to know what city or what area the job is in, to better tell you the areas to avoid renting a house in. Pacoima and Panorama City, I would avoid like the plague. Far too many gangs and too many gang territories and gang problems. Yet if you DO NOT have to be in Los Angles daily and you will want a Los Angles connection, some of the suburbs I would recommend are the ones that are usually found where our Metrolink train goes (i.e. Palmdale or Lancaster to the Northeast, then there is Riverside to the East). I’m sure that you could easily find big 3+ bedroom homes to rent (in all 3 of those cites and the nearby cities of all 3 of those cities, due to those cities being heavily hit with foreclosures (ala The Great Recession), so I’m sure that the banks are eager to rent such huge nice houses out, since house are not really selling still), with plenty of room for all 4 of your vehicles, along with being close to the Metrolink stations (if you want to take the train into Los Angeles and ride the local MTA public transit on occasion). Palmdale or Lancaster or Riverside are easily between 1 to ½ hours drive (in regular traffic) to Los Angeles, but if you drive during the morning or evening rush hour (and you are driving the same direction that the rush hour traffic is going), it is going to take you considerably far more longer to get to or from Los Angeles.

I hope this information helps.

Nick

Last edited by Count David; 04-05-2012 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: discussing mod actions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or