Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Plastic grocery bags fit perfectly in my bathroom trash cans. Do they even sell plastic trash bags that small? I also use them to keep dirty baby clothes isolated in the bag. I suspect a lot of people are going to start hoarding and maybe swiping bags to stock up before they're gone. And taxing paper bags is just a money grab.
Oh, they do sell them that small. Costco, Target, Walmart, etc - they are loving these bag bans. As will the very plastic bag makers who make all the store bought, thick walls trash bags that biodegrade about 100 times slower than the film ones retail uses.

500 years from now, they will look at the 20th and at least early portion of the 21st centuries as a time of unprecedented mass hysteria, driven by a millenarian mish mash of Shamanism (e.g. Gaia worship), Dialectic Materialism, and plain old lack of critical thinking skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
But hey, making a bunch of law abiding working people suffer through some nice Euro-self-flagelation, thaaaaaaaat's the ticket!
I told a somewhat well-traveled colleague about the ban, and the very first thing the person said was "That's how they do it in Europe," and then proceeded to give me examples of how so-and-so stores in Europe don't offer plastic bags.

It seems like the logic is that if it's done in Europe, then it's progressive and awesome.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post

It seems like the logic is that if it's done in Europe, then it's progressive and awesome.
It also seems like standard redneck logic is to say if it's done in Europe, we must do the opposite. Then it's regressive and reactive, but at least it's 'merican. Freedom Fries, anybody?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This is an environmental law. Did you believe the government was "making every decision for you" when the law was passed to equip automobiles with seatbelts? What about smoking bans on airplanes?

I can't believe that people care more about their own convenience than the health of the public. While we're at it, let's overturn the law requiring public education. Hey, they can't make every decision for us....
What about the studies that show e coli bacteria in the reusable bags? Uh ... I think we were safer with the plastic

Old 05-26-2012, 01:33 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,008 times
Well ... I guess I'll just avoid doing any grocery shopping in the Cities of LA, Long Beach and Santa Monica ... What irks me about this whole thing is how this ban will affect those who don't have their own personal vehicle where they can bring their own reusable bags - mostly the poor. So I guess they will have to add the cost of the bags to their grocery bill then Sorry, but those who are more well-off will find this to be a mere inconvenience whereas those without cars will find this costly.

I won't even go into the bacteria and other issues of reusing the same bag over and over again.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:41 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What about the studies that show e coli bacteria in the reusable bags?
Can you provide a link to the study? That claim was a little far fetched (and probably issued by a plastic bag manufacturer).

Old 05-26-2012, 06:43 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
How is this ban improving my health?
Improved water quality, for one, less litter in landfills, two....

Old 05-26-2012, 05:15 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Improved water quality, for one, less litter in landfills, two....
Litter, by definition, does not exist in landfills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 PM

49 posts, read 159,671 times
Talk about government overreach. Idiots in city hall are incompetent at best. So what about the meat juice that spills into the bags? vegetables? Now i have to spend even more money to buy bags to pick up dog crap. Now i dont have the freedom to simply grab a bag to put something in it. Now the poor will have to pay extra when shopping and yes 10 cents per bag adds up when your poor or even middle class. What about when im shopping without a car. I use public buses and trains and now i have to pay 10 cents for each paper bag made from trees burned down in the forest.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,088 times
You sound like a (bad) lawyer, trying to sucker me into your big, bad, government agenda. Some decisions I support, some I don't. I suggest sticking to the merits/non-merits of the bag issue.

Quote:
Do you or do you not believe that government should make every decision for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles