Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Wrong - the government's job is to secure our unalienable rights endowed by our Creator among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (see the Declaration of Independence).

I don't see how requiring landlords to provide refrigerators helps secure life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness. I can see how it intrudes on a landlords liberty, however.

Refrigerators are relatively cheap - if you must have one - save your money and purchase it. Otherwise - it is possible to eat without having the use of a refrigerator.
Eating cold food makes me feel free and happy. I DEMAND A FRIDGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
LOL
This thread has turned awesome.
"I demand my refrigerator in my apartment as guaranteed by my constitutional rights!"

Suck it up buttercup. A refrigerator is nowhere near a right. You don't like it? Go someplace that gives you this "right".

Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Wrong - the government's job is to secure our unalienable rights endowed by our Creator among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (see the Declaration of Independence).
By our what? Those "unalienable rights" were written on paper by men. "The pursuit of happiness" was changed from "property"...changed by men. Wonder if they got the approval of "our Creator" for that?

If the government doesn't enforce regulations on, say, housing, what's to stop evil landlords from extorting money from tenants without tending to any basic needs (beyond refrigerators), or just straight up draining their bank accounts for the thrill of it? Makes maximizing profits much easier, what with no worry about consequence. Ah, to harken back to those glorious feudal times.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
The Easter bunny and Santa figure in there somewhere.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 PM

199 posts, read 400,522 times
The entitlement young Americans have these days is unbelievable. They've never put in a hard day's work in their lives and yet they want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Landlords don't owe you crap except what's agreed upon in the lease. If the landlord says "I'm giving you a fridge" and doesn't, that's one thing, but to act like you're owed it is totally ludicrous.

Do you also whine and moan about batteries not being included with electronics specifically marked "batteries not included"? Grow up. If the place doesn't include a fridge and you want a fridge included in the deal then go somewhere else and find it. That's the beauty of having freedom. No one has a gun to your head saying "You have to live here!"

I still can't believe there are people crying about not being given a refrigerator. If that gets you shook then you're in for a tough life.

Here's a tip: Less whining and more working. An honest day's work will do more to better your situation than a year's worth of whining, complaining, and "occupying".

Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
The entitlement young Americans have these days is unbelievable. They've never put in a hard day's work in their lives and yet they want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Landlords don't owe you crap except what's agreed upon in the lease. If the landlord says "I'm giving you a fridge" and doesn't, that's one thing, but to act like you're owed it is totally ludicrous.

Do you also whine and moan about batteries not being included with electronics specifically marked "batteries not included"? Grow up. If the place doesn't include a fridge and you want a fridge included in the deal then go somewhere else and find it. That's the beauty of having freedom. No one has a gun to your head saying "You have to live here!"

I still can't believe there are people crying about not being given a refrigerator. If that gets you shook then you're in for a tough life.

Here's a tip: Less whining and more working. An honest day's work will do more to better your situation than a year's worth of whining, complaining, and "occupying".

Extremely well stated, thanks.
In one of these post in this thread, someone said they wouldn't want to live in any of my rentals, and was glad I am not their landlord because I do not provide stoves or a fridge.
I wouldn't want a whining person like that as my tenant, and I am glad they will never live in any of my properties.

Bob.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times
I don't think entitlement has anything to do with it. After all, anyone spending $1200+ a month on rent can obviously afford to buy a fridge. It just seem really odd to me that in an area with such high rents that it's so commonplace to find apartments without fridges. And yes, I get that landlords would have a different perspective on this but why stop there? Get rid of indoor plumbing and electricity and you could really save on repairs.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
And yes, I get that landlords would have a different perspective on this but why stop there? Get rid of indoor plumbing and electricity and you could really save on repairs.
Ahh, but those are required by law. I'm sure some landlords would rent out plywood boxes if they could get away with it and find some to rent it.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 PM

199 posts, read 400,522 times
Let's say the landlord DOES provide a fridge. The tenant, however, like most normal folks, doesn't want to put his/her food in the same fridge that someone else did God-knows-what with it. The tenant wants to bring their own fridge.

Who pays for moving the old fridge? Who pays to store it?

GREAT use of money. Why don't landlords supply towels and mattresses too. It would be inhumane to rent out a place to someone and then have them sleeping on the floor while sopping wet.

When the tenants get staph infections and bed bugs I'm sure they'll be very kind and humane to the landlord.

The reality is that landlord/tenant relationships are very lopsided in favor of the tenants. The tenant has literally no obligation or responsibility other than to pay rent on time. The landlord, on the other hand, has to bear all the burdens.

We've got a tenant whose BRAND NEW apartment is crawling with roaches. I'm talking so bad that the exterminator said it's the worst he's seen in his 20 years of experience. The rugs are soaked with urine. It's literally enough to make you gag just standing outside the front door.

The tenants on the other side of the wall, a young hipster couple who kept their place immaculate, eventually had no choice but to move out. They couldn't fight the constant barrage of roaches coming in through the walls.

What recourse is there against an animal like that? Pay their rent for several months until the courts finally allow you to evict them. At worst they lose their deposit and gain a few months of rent-free living.

Now if the situation were flipped and their stove wasn't working or their bathwater wasn't hot enough, well heaven help you then as a landlord. You're going to pay some serious penalties and in some cases might even go to jail.

So you'll have to forgive me if I don't feel sorrow for your plight to get a free luxury appliance gifted to you.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
So you'll have to forgive me if I don't feel sorrow for your plight to get a free luxury appliance gifted to you.
So then why do landlords almost everywhere else in the country include a fridge? Are they just more generous people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles