Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 06:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Southern California sports fans have been lucky to have guys like Chick Hearn, Vin Scully, and Bob Miller call the plays over the years. But there's one guy who is in their ranks that I'd bet you've never heard of.

For more than 34 seasons, Joe Hernandez was the voice of Santa Anita racetrack, calling 15,587 races in a row before he collapsed at the microphone Jan. 27, 1972. On the late Jim Healy's radio show, Healy once played the audio of Joe's last race. Joe had been kicked by a horse earlier in the day on January 27th, 1972. Later that day while calling a race, Joe realized he was going to pass out and on Healy's audio tape you can actually hear him have the foresight to click the microphone off before he collapsed.

The Untold Story of Joe Hernandez: The Voice of Santa Anita

Jim Healy Tribute Site

Last edited by Charles; 09-14-2007 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,179 times
Default Joe Hernandez Biography

Dear All, I just wanted to mention that my biography on Joe Hernandez will be coming out in mid, or late March. As many of you know, I have been researching Joe's life since 2002 with the assistance of his son, Father Frank Hernandez. The book comes with a CD featuring Joe's famous calls, as well as Joe's Last Call. A website accompanying the book can be found at www.voiceofsantaanita.com. Please check it out, and tell your friends about it. I think everyone will be surprised by what I was able to uncover. Advanced copies were made available to select readers and all of them gave the book high marks. Pete Pedersen, the long time steward at Hollywood Park who was the winner of the Eclipse of Merit and Joe H. Palmer Award of Merit from the New York Turf Writer’s Association wrote that, “This biography stands as a remarkable work of research . . . . The romance of horseracing, the source of so much of its appeal, is given full marks . . . . But it’s the subject, Joe Hernandez, who emerges as a catalyst . . . . The book is a great read. For anyone who wants to know what horseracing was—and is—it’s a keeper! Joe Hernandez was larger than life. This rendition paints the portrait.”
Alan Balch, the Executive Secretary and Registrar, American Saddlebred Horse Association and Registry, as well as a one time co-worker of Joe's wrote, “When I read Dr. Alvarado’s inspiring story of Joe Hernandez, a torrent of memories came flooding back to me. He brings the original Voice of Santa Anita back to life, with all his charisma joined with a personal, deep love for horses and racing born of unique experiences.” I hope that everyone enjoys the book and that they will feel it is a worthy addition to the history of thoroughbred horse racing.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I will be having a book signing at Santa Anita on April 5, 2008, Santa Anita Handicap day. I'll see you there.
Repsectfully yours,
Rudolph Alvarado

Old 02-14-2008, 08:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph Alvarado View Post
Dear All, I just wanted to mention that my biography on Joe Hernandez will be coming out in mid, or late March. As many of you know, I have been researching Joe's life since 2002 with the assistance of his son, Father Frank Hernandez. The book comes with a CD featuring Joe's famous calls, as well as Joe's Last Call. A website accompanying the book can be found at www.voiceofsantaanita.com. Please check it out, and tell your friends about it. I think everyone will be surprised by what I was able to uncover. Advanced copies were made available to select readers and all of them gave the book high marks. Pete Pedersen, the long time steward at Hollywood Park who was the winner of the Eclipse of Merit and Joe H. Palmer Award of Merit from the New York Turf Writer’s Association wrote that, “This biography stands as a remarkable work of research . . . . The romance of horseracing, the source of so much of its appeal, is given full marks . . . . But it’s the subject, Joe Hernandez, who emerges as a catalyst . . . . The book is a great read. For anyone who wants to know what horseracing was—and is—it’s a keeper! Joe Hernandez was larger than life. This rendition paints the portrait.”
Alan Balch, the Executive Secretary and Registrar, American Saddlebred Horse Association and Registry, as well as a one time co-worker of Joe's wrote, “When I read Dr. Alvarado’s inspiring story of Joe Hernandez, a torrent of memories came flooding back to me. He brings the original Voice of Santa Anita back to life, with all his charisma joined with a personal, deep love for horses and racing born of unique experiences.” I hope that everyone enjoys the book and that they will feel it is a worthy addition to the history of thoroughbred horse racing.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I will be having a book signing at Santa Anita on April 5, 2008, Santa Anita Handicap day. I'll see you there.
Repsectfully yours,
Rudolph Alvarado
Sounds like a great book. I look forward to reading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: