Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM

58 posts, read 146,517 times

Advertisements

LA is a complex place that should not be judged by stereotypes. Negative, or, positive. You fine folks
are criticizing the negative myths told about LA, I'm criticizing the positive myths "LA" tells itself.

My words about the self-love of "LA culture" were imprecise. Sorry for the confusion.
I was not talking about high culture. Orchestral choices and art theories only tell us a bit
about a living breathing metro of ten million people.
I was not talking about individuals preening in the mirror.
I was talking about a mental/cutural attitude; a climate of opinion. Just as there are New Yorkers who believe that New York is the only place that matters there are Southern Californians who firmly believe that they are the best of all places.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolberg View Post
LA is a complex place that should not be judged by stereotypes. Negative, or, positive. You fine folks
are criticizing the negative myths told about LA, I'm criticizing the positive myths "LA" tells itself.

My words about the self-love of "LA culture" were imprecise. Sorry for the confusion.
I was not talking about high culture. Orchestral choices and art theories only tell us a bit
about a living breathing metro of ten million people.
I was not talking about individuals preening in the mirror.
I was talking about a mental/cutural attitude; a climate of opinion. Just as there are New Yorkers who believe that New York is the only place that matters there are Southern Californians who firmly believe that they are the best of all places.
No doubt about that - though I have found Angelenos to be more self-deprecating about where they live compared to many on the East Coast.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:43 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No doubt about that - though I have found Angelenos to be more self-deprecating about where they live compared to many on the East Coast.
West Coast too. Seattle (to the least extent in this list), Portland, San Diego, and San Francisco make the argument about Angelenos being uniquely self-adoring a wash. But if the stereotype is we are unique in that regard, I guess that's a problem. But the truth on the ground is we're not, though I'm open to evidence. I mean, if that's the specific reason people hate L.A.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
West Coast too. Seattle (to the least extent in this list), Portland, San Diego, and San Francisco make the argument about Angelenos being uniquely self-adoring a wash. But if the stereotype is we are unique in that regard, I guess that's a problem. But the truth on the ground is we're not, though I'm open to evidence. I mean, if that's the specific reason people hate L.A.
When I lived in Boston, you couldn't say a negative thing about ole Beantown (or God forbid one of their sports teams) for fear of getting socked on your way out of the bar. (A bit of an exaggeration, not everyone was that defensive but there were some types that sure were).

Here I feel like 1/4 of the population buys into national stereotypes about LA.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Wealthier? What planet are you living on??? The Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown MSA's gross domestic product (GDP) is $385 billion. Los Angeles MSA: $831 Billion. Slight Gap

This right here is a fine example of what contributes to people bashing LA all the time. They think they know something about it which they don't. I don't go around making broad assumptions about things or places I've never seen or no nothing about. Why does Los Angeles fall victim to this more than any other American City?
Los Angeles is to the US what the US is to the world. Everyone bashes it, but secretly wishes they were here, especially in the winter.

Me, I've been here from birth and seriously considering picking up and heading east (young man.) I might invest in some beach front property (c.2013) in AZ ot NV <<smirk>>

Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Los Angeles is to the US what the US is to the world. Everyone bashes it, but secretly wishes they were here, especially in the winter.

Me, I've been here from birth and seriously considering picking up and heading east (young man.) I might invest in some beach front property (c.2013) in AZ ot NV <<smirk>>
*snicker*

No, I don't wish I was in LA. In my time there I never enjoyed it in the least. For me, Seattle was a much better fit.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Theory of why is there a "theory of why people don't like LA"?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
People hate LA because of the people. Not the city.

It's kind of a critical mass hate, not a general population, majority, or some sort of identifiable number.

Sort of like when people say " San Jose is filled with geeks, Manhattan is filled with yuppies, Dallas is filled with Rednecks",etc.

In LA's case, they have the most hollow, fake, materialstic, superficial culture, out of anywhere in the country, save maybe Miami.

As I noted, I don't know or care what % of the population this includes, but there is no denying there is a critical mass of these types of people in LA.

Pre planned, pre staged shows, featuring fake materialistic locals like: Real Housewives, the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, Shahs of sunset, really does not help, IMO.

I don't know what is worse, the real deal, or the flock of wanna bes ("B list" celebs to the downright dellusional) and gossip pundits that rotate around the epicenter that is the A list.

I've met some cool people from LA and some people that I really just did not like. LA has always struck me as 50-50 kinda town. You'll love it or hate it, or love and hate it at different moments.
And corrupt politics.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think Angelenos are just better at making fun of themselves. It's part of the irreverence. I think LA is the most irreverent of America's large cities.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
*snicker*

No, I don't wish I was in LA. In my time there I never enjoyed it in the least. For me, Seattle was a much better fit.

My daughter lives in Seattle! Great minds: head north young man!

Trust me, my diatribe wasn't pro-cali. This place is jaded and the people here are as shallow as Pismo Beach at low tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think Angelenos are just better at making fun of themselves. It's part of the irreverence. I think LA is the most irreverent of America's large cities.
You need to go to SanFran where irreverence is a virtue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Pass the bong, bro... Los Angeles is the Moderator cut: expletive of the state. Here, Kobe isn't beef, it's an idle. Not hard to see how low the bar has been set. Our Mayor is a frikkin loser womanizing philanderer and they love him. He's a stooge. Our governor..............................MOONBEAM is the frankenstein of progressive regression. We are the laughing stock and the bain of this country. We are living proof of how to squander the 8th largest GDP without even trying. We are only unique as the biggest idiots, consistently voting in bigger idiots, on the planet.

Last edited by Count David; 04-14-2012 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles