Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Believe it or not, not everyone likes the upscale and "posh" vibe that WeHo has.

It's also much more expensive than NoHo. If you were a 23 year old kid from Ohio with $2k saved up, you wouldnt want to waste your money on the rent prices in WeHo...

Also, again, while I'm not "in the industry" I think there is just more going on with film and production in NoHo. It seems thats were the majority of studios, auditions, acting classes, etc... is. Why would you want to make the commute longer than it has to be?
No, actually it seems that most of the acting classes are not in North Hollywood. Many of the top schools are on this side of the hill. Most commercial auditions are also on my side of the hill. Personally I don't find West Hollywood to be super expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
Yeah I'm familiar with the clubs around there, we used to do Haute and we have another place on Santa Monica. Mi-6, 7969/Peanuts, and others have been straight clubs as well.

I am sure that you being a female makes it different, but I can see what you mean. I'm not sure why guys would care about living around gays...they don't bother you at all, and they're extremely nice...but you know how things are.
A lot of straight celebs live in West Hollywood too. I don't know about the clubs you mentioned but a lot of the A-list clubs (celebs etc) are also located in West Hollywood like the SBE clubs etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM

203 posts, read 577,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
No, actually it seems that most of the acting classes are not in North Hollywood. Many of the top schools are on this side of the hill. Most commercial auditions are also on my side of the hill. Personally I don't find West Hollywood to be super expensive.

A lot of straight celebs live in West Hollywood too. I don't know about the clubs you mentioned but a lot of the A-list clubs (celebs etc) are also located in West Hollywood like the SBE clubs etc.
I always get confused on what's "West Hollywood" but yeah...Greystone/Industry, MyHouse, are both SBE and that might be seen as West Hollywood, correct?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
I always get confused on what's "West Hollywood" but yeah...Greystone/Industry, MyHouse, are both SBE and that might be seen as West Hollywood, correct?
Yes. There is a HUGE difference between W Hollywood and Hollywood. Hollywood to me is grungy, dirtier, more sketchy people. W Hollywood is much more upscale and closer to Beverly Hills. It is MUCH nicer, cleaner and more upscale. I would never live in Hollywood, ever. Income in W Hollywood is also higher... Hollywood has more lower income citizens in general. W Hollywood is a more "desirable" place to live. It isn't a small difference but a big one... Hollywood is much more "ghetto"... The further WEST you go, generally the more upscale.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,410 times
Quote:
I understand auditions and studios are all over LA. My point is that most people getting starting in the industry live in the Valley because it's all that they afford. I'm not talking about celebs, I'm talking about average Joes who move to LA with nothing on their resume.

Are you saying West Hollywood vs. North Hollywood rent prices are comparable? A simple search on Padmapper shows that you can get a 2bed/1ba in NoHo as a 1bed/1ba in WeHo.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I understand auditions and studios are all over LA. My point is that most people getting starting in the industry live in the Valley because it's all that they afford. I'm not talking about celebs, I'm talking about average Joes who move to LA with nothing on their resume.

Are you saying West Hollywood vs. North Hollywood rent prices are comparable? A simple search on Padmapper shows that you can get a 2bed/1ba in NoHo as a 1bed/1ba in WeHo.
You can find a studio in West Hollywood for around $1100 with underground parking if you look hard but the places are there.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM

11 posts, read 45,959 times
Basically, we're going to each have between 5 and 8k saved up, and there's 3 of us like I said. We want a somewhat affordable 3bedroom apartment, and yes, obviously, proximity to classes/auditions takes precedence, as does safety.

Thank you to everyone who's posted so far in this topic, we're still just up in the air about NoHo vs WeHo, and there are a lot of pros and cons for each :|

Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 PM

26 posts, read 38,631 times
Quote:
You can find a studio in West Hollywood for around $1100 with underground parking if you look hard but the places are there.
Sure, but you can get a studio in Noho for 800. Considering most actors aren't making much if any money 300 a month is pretty significant.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar-door View Post
Sure, but you can get a studio in Noho for 800. Considering most actors aren't making much if any money 300 a month is pretty significant.
I guess to some people $300 makes a huge diff; for me not as much...

Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 PM

26 posts, read 38,631 times
Quote:
Yeah, if you have a steady job $300 isn't much, but actors even working ones are likely going to have long stretches where there is no money coming in.
Of course the other thing he's going to run into is proof of employment trying to rent a $2500+ apartment is going to be tough even with good credit if none of the prospective tenants have regular employment. I've found West Hollywood management companies are far more likely to ask for proof of minimum income like in NYC than elsewhere since their buildings are more in demand.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
$300 is alot to anyone. This is a lame thing to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles