Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:59 PM

11 posts, read 15,896 times

Advertisements

thank you guys for the input, whatever it is....different opinions create more or less of a real picture...unfortunately i am not self-employed, but i know each place has good and bad people. At the last place i used to work at, my female manager wanted to teach me wrong how to deal with electricity ( i was in a maintenance department ) so that i try to show off to have them keep me, volunteer to fix something and get zapped, freak out and run back to my country -- because i was her competition for an upcoming position.... She shared those ideas with a friend of hers and that girl freaked out and told me everything, so that i wouldn't listen to anything she has to show me.....she eventually got fired.... So, yeah....that's why i am looking to make some kind of friends before i move on to meet some new psychos ))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 AM

67 posts, read 128,316 times
You need to find a job first. There are pockets of Russian population around west valley area. It's not a big community like in NY. May see a Russian owned business here and there. Also, you need a car like Orlando. LA is not metropolis like NYC. Mass transit sucks. Lifelong resident, so I know daily life not a glimpse pov.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 PM

11 posts, read 15,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranza View Post
You need to find a job first. There are pockets of Russian population around west valley area. It's not a big community like in NY. May see a Russian owned business here and there. Also, you need a car like Orlando. LA is not metropolis like NYC. Mass transit sucks. Lifelong resident, so I know daily life not a glimpse pov.
That was my concern about getting a job, there isn't a way of finding one before going to a place, especially if i shoot for a russian related type of job i would have to be physically present there to talk to the owner or smth like that. And a car is a sore spot, i don't have one, nor do i know how to drive one (

Old 09-18-2012, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,144 times
Hi!

Did you end up moving to LA?? I'm a 30 year old female who just came out of a long term relationship and am looking to make new friends! I've lived in LA for over 28 years!

Don't be discouraged. LA is HUGE there's good areas and bad areas, just like there are good and bad people.

Send me a message if you need any more info!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,591 times
Hi there, I am hoping to move out to LA next year. Let me know when you are there, it will be nice to meet and know someone in LA as I am moving there by myself not knowing a soul. I only know a few words in Russian but I speak Spanish and English is my mother tongue. Good luck with everything and keep me posted if you can.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 7,058 times
Hi, Ukranian here as well, be moving to LA, this coming Feb.. Feel in same issues, u know, no freinds, not knowing much about the place. But i really wana live there. People survive somehow there. but I wana be close to the beach and the Cali gyms. It more things to do there. I hope a find descent studio there. Hoping dont run into any crazy's..

Old 09-29-2012, 06:11 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
#1 You don't HAVE to have a car. There is decent enough public transportation. It's best if you are near one of the train lines.

#2. There's a fairly large Russian community in LA, particularly in West Hollywood and parts of the SFV

As always with these types of threads, you may want to have several months savings before moving.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,176 times
For anyone looking to network and meet new people in LA, or elsewhere, I'd recommend going to meetup.com and scoping out groups in the area with similar interests.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:46 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
Billie, you will have a lot of fun in LA. Just please have a well executed plan. Many many people come here and end up flat broke and some do not have the money to go back and end up on the streets.

Be wise and make sure you come out here with enough money saved up, a job lined up and are able to deal with high cost of living. As long as you can be patient and focused you will get what you want out of LA.

Making it in LA is not the hardest part, it's trying to live while doing what you want to do, climbing the ladder that's hard. Everything that is an opportunity in LA is literally dirt pay or free. So unless you have a rich dad to take care of you, the balance of working to live and making your dream come true burns a lot of people out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles