U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 PM

11 posts, read 14,147 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, i am 28 year old female from Ukraine, lived for 4 years in Orlando, went back home, returned. Didn't really manage to build life in Orlando, so i am thinking to move to LA. Now, i don't have many skills besides speaking Russian and some serving experience. I don't want to just move to LA not knowing anyone, so i am looking to meet some people who have lived in LA for a quite a while to give me any advice about the life there and maybe anyone knows any russian language related jobs or places where maybe i should apply before moving. Any advice would do. it's hard being abroad with no family and friends. would appreciate any help on this matter . Thank you !)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM

6 posts, read 20,896 times
Hello, well im not from LA but I do plan on moving there next year, That's funny I currently live in Orlando now and I really don't like it. Well if you want a friend to talk to just message me, I know this didn't answer your question but im also planning to move to LA without knowing anyone and thought it would like to start talking to people who live their or is planning on moving over their. I wish you luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD411 View Post
Hello, well im not from LA but I do plan on moving there next year, That's funny I currently live in Orlando now and I really don't like it. Well if you want a friend to talk to just message me, I know this didn't answer your question but im also planning to move to LA without knowing anyone and thought it would like to start talking to people who live their or is planning on moving over their. I wish you luck!
cool ) i did add you already , well it will be a lot easier then ) i will be writing to you there the rest doesn't need to be read by other's )))

Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
Honestly, I lived in Kissimmee and despised it. I have lived and visited several countries and major cities all over the world, favorite so far has been the cities on the Gulf coast of Florida, I miss the laid back attitude, and people in L.A. suck, not as rude and in your face as new yorkers or even Jersey Wimps, but they will use you and use you until there is nothing left to use. L.A. is very heartless, family life here is not normal American and neither are the people who were raised here. Not to mention the immigrants of this area overwhelm the housing market and the streets making any sort of travel except by plane or foot impractical. Heads up spend more than a year living south of Van Nuys and north of Inglewood, you will probably have a car accident, minor or major, chances of it happening are VERY high. Everyone is on the road here, and there is wwwwwaaaaayyyyy too many people, but you are used to this style in Orlando between April and September. City communication sucks within the governing branches out here, and expect taxes only to go up another .5% every year despite any cuts or major changes in local government. The one thing that will make you turn around everywhere you travel is all of California misses out on putting signs in front of obstructions; trees, signs, buildings, etc.

My suggestion is to live in L.A. IF you want to make money and deal with schemers, you can move forward in your field, but that is only because there is more people and skill in L.A.'s rear than anywhere else in THIS country.

My last tip that I had to learn first hand, people lie in the world, but people in L.A. create wild and crazy stories that can force you to convey any emotion they want. These are very good liars, avoid them, sociopath traits cannot be far off with this lot.

That's it, L.A. is Huge, they have got EVERYTHING except good rainfall. Find the diamonds in the rough out here as soon as you can, they will be more hospitable and polite than a 65 year-old southern granny.

P.S. IF YOU COME TO L.A. AND YOU ARE 18 OR OLDER, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR GET A REALLY DECENT WORKING VEHICLE INSURED TO THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD. OTHERWISE, ENJOY YOUR PAD.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEED&WINE View Post
Honestly, I lived in Kissimmee and despised it. I have lived and visited several countries and major cities all over the world, favorite so far has been the cities on the Gulf coast of Florida, I miss the laid back attitude, and people in L.A. suck, not as rude and in your face as new yorkers or even Jersey Wimps, but they will use you and use you until there is nothing left to use. L.A. is very heartless, family life here is not normal American and neither are the people who were raised here. Not to mention the immigrants of this area overwhelm the housing market and the streets making any sort of travel except by plane or foot impractical. Heads up spend more than a year living south of Van Nuys and north of Inglewood, you will probably have a car accident, minor or major, chances of it happening are VERY high. Everyone is on the road here, and there is wwwwwaaaaayyyyy too many people, but you are used to this style in Orlando between April and September. City communication sucks within the governing branches out here, and expect taxes only to go up another .5% every year despite any cuts or major changes in local government. The one thing that will make you turn around everywhere you travel is all of California misses out on putting signs in front of obstructions; trees, signs, buildings, etc.

My suggestion is to live in L.A. IF you want to make money and deal with schemers, you can move forward in your field, but that is only because there is more people and skill in L.A.'s rear than anywhere else in THIS country.

My last tip that I had to learn first hand, people lie in the world, but people in L.A. create wild and crazy stories that can force you to convey any emotion they want. These are very good liars, avoid them, sociopath traits cannot be far off with this lot.

That's it, L.A. is Huge, they have got EVERYTHING except good rainfall. Find the diamonds in the rough out here as soon as you can, they will be more hospitable and polite than a 65 year-old southern granny.

P.S. IF YOU COME TO L.A. AND YOU ARE 18 OR OLDER, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR GET A REALLY DECENT WORKING VEHICLE INSURED TO THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD. OTHERWISE, ENJOY YOUR PAD.
wow, that sounds frightening...i guess you didn't have it well, when you got there. i don't tolerate liars well.... if you are that upset with that place - are you still staying there?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 PM

13,527 posts, read 18,661,257 times
Quote:

Please put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:36 PM

215 posts, read 441,250 times
The above poster with all the caps is a crazy person, likely someone who got taken advantage of and is biter about it. In most industries out here, though especially in entertainment, you have to know how to read people. If you don't its too competitive and they will walk all over you. However, there are jobs that are less competitive and if you are self-employed you obviously won't deal with this. I would really take what this poster said with a grain of salt and go about your move as usual.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 PM

16,732 posts, read 35,335,175 times
Quote:
family life here is not normal American and neither are the people who were raised here.
Two of the many reasons I'm still here. Normal American is BO-HOOOOOOO-RING.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM

2,300 posts, read 4,319,507 times
Quote:

Okay, WHACK JOB in the Hoooooouse!!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,825,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiemjean View Post
wow, that sounds frightening...i guess you didn't have it well, when you got there. i don't tolerate liars well.... if you are that upset with that place - are you still staying there?
billie, WEED&WINE is bonkers. When he says don't believe everything you hear, he was talking about himself.

You will do great in Los Angeles. Anything you want to do is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or