Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Greater LA: residential, commercial zones, dominant landscape, main ethnicity

Old 09-15-2007, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 48,510 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

I am from Italy (so excuse my bad English) and I have been always fascinated by Los Angeles. I hope to organize an holiday one day, to tour the city.

Actually I am a very avid of information about LA and yesterday I found this forum, that I'll soon begin to read and devour

I am also an appassionate Game Master of roleplaying games, and I am starting a d20 modern campaign located in LA.

So, dear Angelenos, how about to give me some info about every particular neighborohood or unincorporated city in the greater LA? So I can use this information for my interest and for my incoming game.

Just post, everyone of you that are interested in helping me, a single hood specifying:

Name, Type of zone (residential/commercial), type of terrain/ dominant urban landscape (coastal, lowrise residential), level of crime and/or economic status. Main ethnicity (if applicable and/or relevant).

Example: Beverly Hills... luxury residential zone...etc.

For now I can only dream of "my" LA, but with your help it will be more real than ever!

Thanks to everyone, I hope to find here some friends and advices.

Best Regards

Simon

EDIT: I am basing my game and my request about the various city/hoods I found on the maps on this site City of Los Angeles Map - Larger View

Last edited by Simonprog; 09-15-2007 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Added a link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 03:15 PM

274 posts, read 319,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonprog View Post
Hello to all,

I am from Italy (so excuse my bad English) and I have been always fascinated by Los Angeles. I hope to organize an holiday one day, to tour the city.

Actually I am a very avid of information about LA and yesterday I found this forum, that I'll soon begin to read and devour

I am also an appassionate Game Master of roleplaying games, and I am starting a d20 modern campaign located in LA.

So, dear Angelenos, how about to give me some info about every particular neighborohood or unincorporated city in the greater LA? So I can use this information for my interest and for my incoming game.

Just post, everyone of you that are interested in helping me, a single hood specifying:

Name, Type of zone (residential/commercial), type of terrain/ dominant urban landscape (coastal, lowrise residential), level of crime and/or economic status. Main ethnicity (if applicable and/or relevant).

Example: Beverly Hills... luxury residential zone...etc.

For now I can only dream of "my" LA, but with your help it will be more real than ever!

Thanks to everyone, I hope to find here some friends and advices.

Best Regards

Simon

EDIT: I am basing my game and my request about the various city/hoods I found on the maps on this site City of Los Angeles Map - Larger View

Well, seeing you've never been to Los Angeles you might be fascinated of what you see on television shows shot in Los Angeles?

If so, scratch off most of the entire city, as you'd be in for a horrid shock, and look into communities in West LA. Beverly Hills, Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica, Bel Air, Marina Del Ray, Pacific Palisades, Westwood, Venice, Brentwood, Holmby Hills, etc. You generally can't go wrong with the Westside. These are the nice, quite pretty, pleasant areas with glamor and aren't as ****ty as the rest of the town. They are pretty much only areas you should dream about!

Hope that helped!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:57 PM

I saw on television, web, books the various part of LA, the beatiful and rich zones together with the low income hoods.

Maybe what I see in the geography of LA, with sea and mountains behind the same geography, remember to me where I live... only on a larger scale.

I hope to have not sounded too childish in my first post, English is not my first language, I just expressed my desidere to visit, one day, your city. But I don't want to stick in the tourist places or museum... I want to see the city, how it (She?) lives, breathes. Obviously I dont want to end in dangerous zones (but the Watts Towers are sure a things interesting to see).

Maybe one day I will board a plane for the long voyage

Anyway, Thanks for you comment m8!

Old 09-15-2007, 04:00 PM

274 posts, read 319,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonprog View Post
I saw on television, web, books the various part of LA, the beatiful and rich zones together with the low income hoods.

Maybe what I see in the geography of LA, with sea and mountains behind the same geography where I live... only on a larger scale.

I hope to have not sounded too childish in my first post, English is not my first language, I just expressed my desidere to visit, one day, your city. But I don't want to stick in the tourist places or museum... I want to see the city, how it (She?) lives, breathes. Obviously I dont want to end in dangerous zones (but the Watts Towers are sure a things interesting to see).

Maybe one day I will board a plane for the long voyage

Anyway, Thanks for you comment m8!
No, I understood what you meant. Your English is perfect.

But I was just trying to let you know that you will have no problems finding the bad run down areas (if that's what you want to see) but if you want the nicer scenery I would recommend the areas I listed above.

I would very much recommend you visit if you decide to move.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:32 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Well, seeing you've never been to Los Angeles you might be fascinated of what you see on television shows shot in Los Angeles?

If so, scratch off most of the entire city, as you'd be in for a horrid shock, and look into communities in West LA. Beverly Hills, Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica, Bel Air, Marina Del Ray, Pacific Palisades, Westwood, Venice, Brentwood, Holmby Hills, etc. You generally can't go wrong with the Westside. These are the nice, quite pretty, pleasant areas with glamor and aren't as ****ty as the rest of the town. They are pretty much only areas you should dream about!

Hope that helped!
Forgetting about Los Feliz and Silver Lake? The Hollywood Hills are only partially west side.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 AM

Thanks for your tips. Those areas you describe are predominatly residential or there are some offices? Landscape is low rise or skyscrapers?

Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
Sounds like fun. I'll help out with the places I've lived.

Name: Canoga Park
Type of zone: Residential, some industry, some commercial.
Terrain: Flat land. (Valley Floor) Divided by Los Angeles River (paved canal)
Urban Landscape: Low rise (<5 story) apartments buildings with single-family homes and 1 story stores and businesses.
Crime: Moderate
Economic Status: Lower-middle.
Ethnicity: Mostly Hispanic, some Caucasian.

Name: Woodland Hills
Type of zone: Residential
Terrain: Foothills.
Urban Landscape: Single family homes, parks, strip malls.
Crime: Low
Economic Status: Upper-middle.
Ethnicity: Mostly Caucasian.

Name: Warner Center (Near Woodland Hills and the 101 freeway)
Type of zone: Commercial
Terrain: Flatlands (Valley Floor).
Urban Landscape: High-rise office buildings. Some medium-rise apartments.
Crime: Low.
Economic Status: Upper.

Name: North Hollywood
Type of zone: Residential, some commercial.
Terrain: Flatlands (Valley Floor).
Urban Landscape: Low rise apartments and single-family houses. 1-story commercial buildings with a few medium-rise offices.
Crime: Medium-low.
Economic Status: Lower-middle.
Ethnicity: Mostly hispanic. Some caucasian, some african-american, some asian.

Name: Malibu
Type of zone: Residential.
Terrain: Coastal Mountains.
Urban Landscape: Large mansions. Some apartments. Numerous parks and beaches.
Crime: Very low.
Economic Status: Extremely wealthy.
Ethnicity: Caucasian

Old 09-17-2007, 10:57 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Name: Porter Ranch
Type of zone: Residential, some commercial
Terrain: Foothills; some flat areas but a lot of hilly areas, too.
Urban landscape: Mostly low-rise single-family homes, some apartments (not many), no skyscrapers.
Crime: Low.
Economic class: Upper-middle.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:50 PM

Thanks sponger42 and fleet! Your posts is exactly what I need

I'm glad you had fun detailing in a few bits the place you lived and live.

C'mom other friends of this forum Tell me more! I am sure that LA has not secrets for you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles