Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM

22 posts, read 54,088 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've been searching for an apartment/loft in the downtown area, and have found some good options. However, I keep finding an apartment just west of the 110, so technically not downtown, for half of the price; which would be great because I would be able to save more money there. The apartments that keep popping up are called The Flats (Welcome to The Flat LA!), and some others located east of S.Union Ave, and West of the 110. Now from what I've read, this area is in the early stages of gentrification, but realistically is it that bad? Specifically the Flats...they are two or three blocks from the Fig st. so would it be a dangerous walk back at night from that area? I'll be working near the Pershing Square area so I would be walking or biking to work on most days.

Has anyone lived in the Flats, or in an area literally a block or two west of the 110? My girlfriend and I won't be going out all the time and walking around late at night, but it would be nice to know that it wouldn't be a dangerous walk back from a downtown area on a Saturday night. Do you guys have any opinions of this area or these apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
The Flat - Westlake - Los Angeles, CA

You get what you pay for in downtown IMO.

The area to the west of Union is NOT gentrifying. Not sure where you heard that from.

What has happened is that much of the gang activity has been removed from that area. 10 years ago, that was ground zero in the turf war between MS 13 and 18th st, two of the largest gangs in the nation at the time. The area bounded by Olympic/Union/Alvarado/~7th st was disputed between the two and coveted due to high level of drug sales in the area. This is just a couple blocks away from where the Flats are. Now that has changed. The area is mostly working class immigrants from Central America, and some Koreans. The area to the east of the Flats is the Medici, which is mostly USC students. That doesn't mean its a very safe area. Its not, and there is still a lot of property crime with occasional violent crime.

The walk from downtown proper, from 8th/Fig along 8th to the Flats is NOT safe IMO, mostly due to the darkness of the freeway underpass there. Its much safer to go along 7th to Bixel, then down 8th to the Flats. Likewise, I wouldn't walk Garland south from 7th at night due to the level of desolation and the transient nature of the area.

In other words, you get what you pay for. Downtown really isn't the place to be skimping on price or trying to save money.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM

39 posts, read 99,695 times
I'd just like to second what John above said, and also suggest that you "Google Street View" the address of the prospective apartment(s) and survey the entire street, then a few blocks in all four directions (NSEW). Of course you're not going to see violent crimes in progress when you do this but sometimes you'll see enough to really change/shape your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: