Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times

Advertisements

Do they add to the urban feel of the city? It's basically a building. It's nice looking. Only dead give away is the fake windows facing colorado blvd.

Do you think it's a waste of space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Do they add to the urban feel of the city? It's basically a building. It's nice looking. Only dead give away is the fake windows facing colorado blvd.

Do you think it's a waste of space?
I've never been in the Americana but drove by it once. Let's just say it is better than a typical mall (like the Glendale Galleria) but it certainly is not a great urban landmark. It does look nice and Caruso (the developer) knows how to make these types of places - he is also the mastermind behind The Grove (never been there either ).

I'm not really a mall type of guy; typically I immediately regret it when I go to a huge mall.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,206 times
Too many people. Glendale was nicer when it was more like a sleepy midwestern town.
Why does Los Angeles need to be recreated in Glendale anyway? If you(in general) like L.A. then go to L.A.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Too many people. Glendale was nicer when it was more like a sleepy midwestern town.
Why does Los Angeles need to be recreated in Glendale anyway? If you(in general) like L.A. then go to L.A.
IDK, I always felt that it was still L.A.

I live atwater and glendale is just 5 minutes away.

The way I see it, is, think of Los Angeles as one giant organism made up of smaller organisms. Multiple mini cities joining together to create one giant city.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,057 times
Malls like the Americana, the Grove, Victoria Gardens, etc. are all designed to be fake town centers. They aim to be private "public" spaces.

Rick Caruso's creations (the Americana and the Grove) even go as far as providing fake "public" transportation--the trolleys.

Caruso was going to build another one of these glorified malls in Arcadia (next to the Santa Anita Race Track), but eventually he gave up on that project for various reasons.

Thank god it didn't go through... the SGV doesn't need any of that fakeness.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,523 times
I like the Americana at Brand, but I'm not in love with it. I like the Big Brand name stores, the trolley, the dancing musical fountain, and the faux style buildings. It's pretty, but not authentic. It is similar to the Grove, but with housing. The Americana is a flashier version of Paseo Colorado in Pasadena. At least it isn't over the top neon flashing like Universal Citywalk. These outdoor places are a big step up from the self-contained enclosed malls like the Glendale Galleria, The Santa Anita Mall, Westfield Century City. The Americana is open, but still self-contained. I feel these places are just fads and will be destroyed and rebuilt in a few decades.

The only places I feel have the Los Angeles urban city feel and will last as long time is Old Town Pasadena, the Melrose/Fairfax district, and Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica.

To me, Old Town and 3rd street feels like a large town/small city all in one place. I don't think there is a single place in LA that has the all in one cosmopolitan feel that you find in parts of the Americas, Europe or Asia. The only place in all of LA county that has potential to be similar to a major all in one destination is Downtown L.A. What DTLA needs are tons of major mid to high end shopping stores, Broadway musicals or theatre, and more people living in the area. It already has the transportation, restaurants, bars, clubs, some big hotels, low end swap mall shopping, and ethnic foods. The Dorothy Chandler/Disney music center brings the classics, while the Nokia brings in the pop/rock/country. There are several museums and many art galleries in DTLA.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,128 times
Quote:
I don't see how the Americana at Brand is Los Angeles recreated in Glendale. As was stated by another poster, these are faux cities. Make believe. It is more Disney than anything else (think Main Street Disneyland).

Caruso started putting this krap upon our landscape in suburban locations (like thousand oaks & calabasas) BEFORE he moved to more urban locations like the Grove (next to Farmer's Market).

So really the Americana at Brand is an invasion of Glendale by The Commons at Calabasas or Caruso's Promenade at Thousand Oaks.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,664 times
It's pretty, boring, Uninpsiring and not my cup of tea.
I do love old Pasadena, some neat architecture and lots of lovely churches.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM

401 posts, read 767,243 times
Quote:
absolutely. Way too crowded.. but so many cities are creating high density areas.. so we'll all be like LA soon

Old 04-17-2012, 03:58 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,635,983 times
The Americana is the kind of place IMO that is good for a visit or two. The Americana apartments and condos are way overpriced and only recently starting to fill those vacancies. There are two brand new buildings in that area that are totally empty and I don't understand why Glendale keeps building more and more apartment buildings when so many buildings have "For Rent" and For Sale signs and remain half empty. A little off-topic but. . .on the corner of Glendale and Lexington, they spent years building this rather attractive circular building that takes up the entire corner. There were rumors that it was going to be a garden center but nothing ever came of it. That building remains empty with a rental sign on it. There are many empty office buildings on Brand.

I haven't lived in Glendale long enough to mourn the "old places," but I do think it is overbuilt and overpopulated. I appreciate those who were born or raised here telling us how it used it be. I wish it still had an old-fashioned, small town atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles