U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 10,494 times

Advertisements

I was looking for some advice on possibly moving to the Burbank area. My husband and I both grew up in the Bay Area. Pleasanton and San Ramon if that helps. We moved to Mississippi in Jan 2000. Then in 2006 mioved to Northern Ky/Cincinnati area which is where we live now.
We have 3 children, one will be a junior in high school,8th grade and 5th grade this fall. Obviously living outside of Ca we live in the nicest neighborhoods large home, Country Club neighborhoods. Not that it matters sonce we don't golf, but there is no crime,gangs ect. We have great schools for here.
My concern is affordable housing which. Safety in schools and neighborhoods.
My husbands job would be in Sun Valley which reading about I would never want to live there.
My questions would be is it long of a commute from the Valencia area? Seems from what I have read and from when I used to pass through there, that is affordable and nicer homes great schools.
I have been so sheltered with the whole no crime gangs ect that it scares me to live anywhere near LA.
Any suggestions on neighboods, and schools in areas that would be close enough to Sun Valley would be aprreciated.
Household income $200,000. We have zero equity like many because of when we bought our house.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 PM

4,366 posts, read 9,236,892 times
30 minute rush hour commute.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:02 PM

448 posts, read 1,447,599 times
Believe it or not, there's actually a street in Burbank called Country Club drive. Burbank has many different communities that I think will fit what you need. They have an equestrian community, golf community (closer to Toluca Lake),etc.

I've lived in Valencia and it is very detached from LA, so with that you get a hefty commute. The 5 FWY is not fun at all! If you're going to choose between Burbank or Valencia, I'd suggest Burbank since they both have good schools, but Burbank is much closer to Sun Valley. You could even take side streets.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:45 AM

135 posts, read 258,758 times
I could not agree with more with the previous comment. A Valencia commute would be nightmarish. There is only 1 artery between the Santa Clarita (Valencia) valley and the San Fernando Valley (the 5) and it gets totally clogged at rush hour. Don't do it.

Given what you said, Burbank really is the best place for you. It's the best balance of safety, good schools, reasonable prices (by L.A. standards), and proximity to Sun Valley (agree - generally not a good place to live).

I don't know what your financial obligations are but with a $200k salary I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble finding a place in Burbank. Just to give you a ballpark estimate: a small 2br house might run you $2000-2500 in rent. A 3-4br house might be $2500-3500. Or you can do as many do in L.A. and do an apartment, which generally offers better security and much lower prices.

Feel free to post additional questions; we're happy to help. I live in Burbank and it's a beautiful place to live and raise a family.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM

Seriously? It's like and hour rush hour commute from Valencia to DTLA, maybe a bit more.

Valencia to Burbank at rush hour is 30-35 minutes...hardly nightmarish.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Valencia to Burbank in no traffic is 30-35 minutes (depends on where you are in each, I guess). But that traffic grounds to a standstill on a daily basis, making that commute more like 45-60 minutes.

I live in Burbank but occasionally travel to Valencia (reverse commute) and it takes 30-35 minutes in no traffic. 25 if I'm speeding, but there are a lot of cops manning the 5.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM

It's 22 miles. You need a revocation of your DL if it takes 35 minutes in no traffic.

I work in DTLA and MANY of my coworkers commute from Valencia and Santa Clarita. If the traffic conditions were as you state, I'm sure a fee of them would have slit their wrists by now.

And anyway, OP is actually working in Sun Valley which would cut the time even more. Right now, my GPS shows the drive from SV to SC as 18 miles and taking 29 minutes including traffic.

Last edited by JohnG72; 04-19-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM

Perhaps I should clarify that I go to the far north corner of Valencia, and when I come back to Burbank, I'm 5-7 minutes deep (away from the freeway) so that adds to the time. I'm sure it can be done in 30-35 minutes in traffic if you make the opposite assumptions.

My point stands that, given a choice, I wouldn't recommend a person live in Valencia to commute to Sun Valley, as I think Burbank is probably a superior choice. Burbank will be a little more expensive than Valencia, off the top of my head, and there's a vast difference in vibe between the two cities, but the OP mentioned schools being important (Burbank has excellent schools), and Burbank is next door to Sun Valley, so if it was me, it'd be Burbank in a heartbeat.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM

6 posts, read 10,494 times
Thank you for all the advice. Actaully the headquarters is in Burbank. When I looked up the address Sun Valley came up, but that's their manfucturing, not their headquarters. IKt sounds like where I live is more like a Valencia type of area only on a much smaller scale. A part of me want to live closer to everything like where I grew up and not live in such a cookie cutter area like I have been for so long. Looking for a 4 bedroom house online, is definaltely not cheap in Burbank, when all my house here cost was $340,000 4000 sq feet.
I guess I was concerned with the middle schools and highschools and what type of people being as it's so close to LA. Safety ect.
I appreciate all your feedback!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM

L.A. will always be more expensive than most other areas of the country. That's an unfortunate fact of life. You get used to it. There are bargains to be had; you'll figure them out once you get here. But housing and insurance will be above the national average. No way around it.

Much of Valencia is kind of cookie-cutter. Most of Burbank (and a lot of L.A.) is significantly older (built in the 30's, 40's, etc.) so there are many more varied neighborhoods.

Feel free to continue to post your questions...we're happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles