Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:05 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
Hi Ya'll!

Thanks so much for the responses. Well, I've been to Los Angeles about five times now, and most of what you see people driving are Mercedes or BMW's (at least in parts like WeHo, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and Century City). Yes, I will admit that part of the reason why I would want to drive a BMW is to "fit in." On my last trip, my friends and I went to have dinner at Koi, and when the valet parking attendant asked what car I was driving, I told him a Chrevolet (I was renting) and he made a face at me and giggled! Just because of the car I was driving LOL that was funny but also made me think that I don't want to be such an obvious outsider... I'm not a "wanna be" either, but I do want to feel comfortable without feeling self-concious of what I drive. I KNOW we shouldn't let society rule and say what we must do or drive, but it gets a bit intimidating in Los Angeles... if you know what I mean. So before anybody tells me that I shouldn't be pretending, yes, I think I might get a BMW.

Thanks so much to all for your responses :-)
Well, lets call a spade a spade. You're a wanna-be.

Buying a car based on OTHER people's opinions (especially a valet's) opinion is complete poser-dom.

Now that that's out of the way, just get the one you want, for what ever reasons you want it for. Don't try and 'splain away what's what. At the end of the day, you have to live with yourself. If you knew the build quality of the late model Mercedes, then you'd know not to get one unless you have a good Merc mechanic on speed dial. Outside of that, BMW makes a nice luxury car. They also make some sporty cars. But it doesn't sound like you're interested in the sheer luxury, or the sportiness of them (Do you plan on driving it fast?). So you'll probably end up with a bottom-of-the-barrel-3-series, and then, everyone will know that you did it because you didn't care to afford the 335i turbo (because, remember, you're not interested in performance). That will additionally tell everyone in Hollywood that either your parents bought it for you (how old do you look?) or that you're still a money-n00b.

Don't worry about what some valet says. He gets to drive Aston Martin's, Lambo's, and other hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars moneymobiles. But remember, his opinion is still that of a valet. Buy a car you can affford- and buy it based on what you really want to do. Because if "fitting in" is your goal, you're going to have an easier time explaining away a Hemi Cuda [muscle car] than you will a bottom-of-the-line 3 series.

PS- if you think this post was harsh, wait til you meet some UNcool LA folks...

PSS- to the BMW 3 series owners out there: No offense. BMW makes a fine car.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Hi Ya'll!

Thanks so much for the responses. Well, I've been to Los Angeles about five times now, and most of what you see people driving are Mercedes or BMW's (at least in parts like WeHo, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and Century City). Yes, I will admit that part of the reason why I would want to drive a BMW is to "fit in." On my last trip, my friends and I went to have dinner at Koi, and when the valet parking attendant asked what car I was driving, I told him a Chrevolet (I was renting) and he made a face at me and giggled! Just because of the car I was driving LOL that was funny but also made me think that I don't want to be such an obvious outsider... I'm not a "wanna be" either, but I do want to feel comfortable without feeling self-concious of what I drive. I KNOW we shouldn't let society rule and say what we must do or drive, but it gets a bit intimidating in Los Angeles... if you know what I mean. So before anybody tells me that I shouldn't be pretending, yes, I think I might get a BMW.
You might want to consider getting a Lexus or Infiniti instead of a BMW.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 PM

142 posts, read 754,801 times
Thanks all again for your opinions/responses...

I knew my statement about "fit in & wanna be" would create opinions and criticism, especially Jack's, since I've been reading this forum for quite a while, but I still appreciate everyone's comments. Don't worry Jack, just this weekend I was told I was "harsh" for saying something honestly... sometimes "harsh" sounds "harsh" but we do need people's honest opinions once in a while. BTW I'm still interested in a BMW :-)

Wow, I'm so clueless... I didn't know there were "cheap" BMW's like the 3 series (I thought all BMW's were expensive)... I thought all BMW's were good cars, and that's it. My sister has a X3 (I think that's the name for the BMW SUV), is that considered cheap or a good BMW?

Ok, I'm wearing a helmet now for all those rocks being thrown at me for being a "wanna be" LOL

Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 PM

hehehe Really, I dont care what you drive... I was just sayin'

And, as far as what's "cheap"

Cheap:
2008 BMW 328i Sedan
Starting MSRP $32,400

Not cheap:
2008 BMW 760Li Sedan
Starting MSRP $122,600

I would say $90,000 makes the difference... For some people the $32k is too much, for others, the $122k is not enough.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:37 PM

142 posts, read 754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
hehehe Really, I dont care what you drive... I was just sayin'

And, as far as what's "cheap"

Cheap:
2008 BMW 328i Sedan
Starting MSRP $32,400

Not cheap:
2008 BMW 760Li Sedan
Starting MSRP $122,600

I would say $90,000 makes the difference... For some people the $32k is too much, for others, the $122k is not enough.
Ohh ****, then I'm definitely gonna be regarded as a "money nobody" but oh hell, a bachelor's degree can only do so much. If I get the BMW, then it'll be the cheap kind, deffo

Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 PM

274 posts, read 320,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Well, lets call a spade a spade. You're a wanna-be.

Buying a car based on OTHER people's opinions (especially a valet's) opinion is complete poser-dom.

Now that that's out of the way, just get the one you want, for what ever reasons you want it for. Don't try and 'splain away what's what. At the end of the day, you have to live with yourself. If you knew the build quality of the late model Mercedes, then you'd know not to get one unless you have a good Merc mechanic on speed dial. Outside of that, BMW makes a nice luxury car. They also make some sporty cars. But it doesn't sound like you're interested in the sheer luxury, or the sportiness of them (Do you plan on driving it fast?). So you'll probably end up with a bottom-of-the-barrel-3-series, and then, everyone will know that you did it because you didn't care to afford the 335i turbo (because, remember, you're not interested in performance). That will additionally tell everyone in Hollywood that either your parents bought it for you (how old do you look?) or that you're still a money-n00b.

Don't worry about what some valet says. He gets to drive Aston Martin's, Lambo's, and other hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars moneymobiles. But remember, his opinion is still that of a valet. Buy a car you can affford- and buy it based on what you really want to do. Because if "fitting in" is your goal, you're going to have an easier time explaining away a Hemi Cuda [muscle car] than you will a bottom-of-the-line 3 series.

PS- if you think this post was harsh, wait til you meet some UNcool LA folks...

PSS- to the BMW 3 series owners out there: No offense. BMW makes a fine car.
Not all Mercedes have problems. I've had a 2006 Merc SL55 for 1.5 years now and it has only been into the shop for routine service visits. MBs from year 2000-2005 were the most problematic.

Quote:
Ohh ****, then I'm definitely gonna be regarded as a "money nobody" but oh hell, a bachelor's degree can only do so much. If I get the BMW, then it'll be the cheap kind, deffo
But remember:

Usually leasing brand new BMW's is much cheaper than buying used ones!!! Brand new BMW's are under warranty for the entire lease. Everything is free, free maintenance.. including brake pads, etc etc. for the entire lease!

I'm guessing 3-Series lease in the $350-400ish a month range.

5-Series- around $600 a month.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM

332 posts, read 2,149,974 times
I dont think you can go wrong with an Acura TL or Lexus IS350. They're great cars, just as "cheap" as a BMW 3-series, but are way more reliable and not as popular with the rich high school crowd . btw I have a Mazda 3 and I love it.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Hello everybody... I have a few questions regarding cars.

What is the average car payment? I'm looking into buying a new average/compact car or a used BMW.

What is the average insurace monthly payment for a used BMW?

Is it better to lease a car instead of buying?

If I haven't been at a job long in L.A. (before moving I was at my job for six years), will a dealership still give me credit?

If possible for those who already live in Los Angeles... what car and insurance monthly payment do you have for your specific car? (to get an idea).

Thanks in advance for your responses :-)
i should have thought of posting something like this.
i just purchased a lemon.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 AM

54 posts, read 312,530 times
I was thinking of getting a PT Cruiser when I move to LA next year. Anyone know if it is a good reliable car ?? Also, anyone know a ballpark figure of what I can expect to pay for a new one or leasing ?? Or would it be better to get a used ?

Thankeee

Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Not all Mercedes have problems. I've had a 2006 Merc SL55 for 1.5 years now and it has only been into the shop for routine service visits. MBs from year 2000-2005 were the most problematic.
Plus yours is an AMG worked motor. Different car entirely IMO.

PS- I love the SL55!!! One of my favorite cars, even over the higher AMG designations, even moreso than the 65; because, the 55 looks like an SL 500 (a sweet looking car). 500hp, yummmm....

Sorry to be stereotypical in my comments, but Merc isn't known for it's build quality of late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles