Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Not all Mercedes have problems. I've had a 2006 Merc SL55 for 1.5 years now and it has only been into the shop for routine service visits. MBs from year 2000-2005 were the most problematic.

You will need to trade in that SL55 next year for the new SL63 or you will be yesterday's news.

Why not the SLR? not practical enough for everyday use?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:20 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
You will need to trade in that SL55 next year for the new SL63 or you will be yesterday's news.

If I could afford it, I would run and SLR for a daily driver. But for the money, I'd probably buy a Ferrari. I'm not one for being practical when it comes to HP/tq...

Old 09-18-2007, 03:35 PM

274 posts, read 320,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Plus yours is an AMG worked motor. Different car entirely IMO.

PS- I love the SL55!!! One of my favorite cars, even over the higher AMG designations, even moreso than the 65; because, the 55 looks like an SL 500 (a sweet looking car). 500hp, yummmm....

Sorry to be stereotypical in my comments, but Merc isn't known for it's build quality of late.
Hah. Yes, this is by far my favorite car I have owned. But it's too bad I can't use all the power now that I live in downtown Manhattan.

Quote:

Well, I certainly hope the SL63 looks as good as my SL55 because I'm sure I'd be interested. I looked at a CL63 a few days ago but it felt too large and boring. Then the S63, nice but boring, and I also felt like I was driving a private limo because that's currently the car of choice for well-to-do NYC families. And then there's the Continental GT, which surprisingly has roughly the same lease payment as my SL55,.. no wonder they're terribly common, even more so than my SL55. The soft top on the GT convertible looks slightly hideous when raised. Next, the BMW M6= transmission is so annoying and slightly jerky in traffic. I learned my lesson the hard way with these pseudo-F1 transmissions after a year in a Quattroporte. Horrible.

SLR? My dream daily driver. But sadly I'm too poor to afford such a fabulous car.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
I've been driving BMW's for years. I warn you, they aren't cheap to maintain and if something breaks...ay caramba! I don't drive it for the prestiege. I drive it because they are (IMHO) the best car in the world for my purposes. Nothing holds a candle to them in many aspects. I felt like a king when I bought my first BMW. I like Mercedes but Bimmers seem to have more soul. The Japanese competitors just don't do it for me. I also like the new Jag XJ. I'm considering a purchase but I'd like to let someone take the hit on the depreciation as new Jags do a lot of that. I like to let someone else take a hit on the depreciation and pay cash for a used one. I have a black 3 series convertible and I love it...fun to drive, easy to park, thoroughly decent gas mileage and I can zip around gross SUV's with the greatest of ease. I had a 7 series and I've never had a car that held the road like it did. It got 17-21 mpg which is damn good for a huge supercar. Make sure you get maintenance records when buying a used BMW, Mercedes or Jag. Having a mechanic check it out is worth the money. I once bought a BMW from a dealer and proceeded to spend 11 grand fixing it. This happens a lot. Thankfully it only happened to me once. Raffi at Saab & Raffi in Hollywood is good at checking our European cars prior to purchase.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
I'm looking into buying a new average/compact car...
You could spend $60K on a fancy car or you could spend $30K on a car (with 95% of the utility of the $60K car) and take the other $30K, stick it in an index fund and watch it grow to almost $500K in 30 years.

What about a mid sized pickup? Very practical, and these days they ride better than a stage coach.

Same for weddings: What to do with that $20K? Use it for a down payment, invest for retirement, buy a car, ...., or have a four hour party.

Insurance: Do you have assets like a house? Consider lots of liability insurance and an $1M umbrella policy (Umbrellas are very cheap).

Check this out:

Fool.com: Don't Do It! [Buying a Car]

from

Fool.com: Buying a Car: Introduction [Buying a Car]

Get a library card:

Book Review: The Millionaire Next Door (broken link)

Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich ... - Google Book Search

The Millionaire Mind - Google Book Search

Home - Your Money Or Your Life

Old 09-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You could spend $60K on a fancy car or you could spend $30K on a car (with 95% of the utility of the $60K car) and take the other $30K, stick it in an index fund and watch it grow to almost $500K in 30 years.

What about a mid sized pickup? Very practical, and these days they ride better than a stage coach.

Same for weddings: What to do with that $20K? Use it for a down payment, invest for retirement, buy a car, ...., or have a four hour party.

Insurance: Do you have assets like a house? Consider lots of liability insurance and an $1M umbrella policy (Umbrellas are very cheap).

Check this out:

Fool.com: Don't Do It! [Buying a Car]

from

Fool.com: Buying a Car: Introduction [Buying a Car]

Get a library card:

Book Review: The Millionaire Next Door (broken link)

Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich ... - Google Book Search

The Millionaire Mind - Google Book Search

Home - Your Money Or Your Life
What a boring and unfabulous thing to do.

Real Los Angelenos wouldn't even entertain the idea of doing such a thing.

And most people in L.A. lease the luxury cars. They hardly pay $60,000 up front; so they don't have the $30,000 difference to put into a fund.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:09 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,240 times
Quote:
What a boring and unfabulous thing to do.

Real Los Angelenos wouldn't even entertain the idea of doing such a thing.

And most people in L.A. lease the luxury cars. They hardly pay $60,000 up front; so they don't have the $30,000 difference to put into a fund.
How about a picture of you with that AMG55??

Old 09-19-2007, 02:56 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Quote:
Hah. Yes, this is by far my favorite car I have owned. But it's too bad I can't use all the power now that I live in downtown Manhattan.

Well, I certainly hope the SL63 looks as good as my SL55 because I'm sure I'd be interested. I looked at a CL63 a few days ago but it felt too large and boring. Then the S63, nice but boring, and I also felt like I was driving a private limo because that's currently the car of choice for well-to-do NYC families. And then there's the Continental GT, which surprisingly has roughly the same lease payment as my SL55,.. no wonder they're terribly common, even more so than my SL55. The soft top on the GT convertible looks slightly hideous when raised. Next, the BMW M6= transmission is so annoying and slightly jerky in traffic. I learned my lesson the hard way with these pseudo-F1 transmissions after a year in a Quattroporte. Horrible.
SLR? My dream daily driver. But sadly I'm too poor to afford such a fabulous car.
Both the Mercedes and BMW's you mention are all hi-end vehicles!

I'm curious how did the transmission in the M6 compare with the Quattroporte.

Did you lease the quattroporte? It has a nice body style.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Both the Mercedes and BMW's you mention are all hi-end vehicles!

I'm curious how did the transmission in the M6 compare with the Quattroporte.

Did you lease the quattroporte? It has a nice body style.
The transmission in the M6 is far better than the Mas.

For instance, the automatic mode on the M6's transmission works okay in traffic, but the Quattroporte DuoSelect transmission is slow and jerks like crazy in auto-mode. Terrible. It was impossible to modulate it smoothly and I would have just died if I brought it to New York. The worst thing was flooring it in automatic mode. The whole car shook violently and felt like it lifts in the air. Absolutely horrible!!! It got better after a few months of getting accustomed to the car, but it wasn't comfortable and not the type of gear box that should be in any type of executive saloon.

I recently drove a newer model Quattroporte with the automatic transmission and it seemed like a much different car in a good way.

Another gripe was the embarrassingly horrid navigation system and it's underpowered engine. The car felt very slow compared to my SL55, but to the average person it will be more than enough power, maybe even fast for some. I am probably just spoiled by my supercharged Merc engine.

The Quattroporte wasn't leased. It was financed. With that said, it is the worst depreciating auto I have ever owned in my life. Just awful. Maserati's are notorious for poor resale so I wasn't surprised one bit. Thankfully, it was a hand-me-down from my father so I didn't really care.

Other than that, it was an OK car, but I would never recommend it over an S63.

Re: the M6. The only thing I couldn't stand was the slow shifting at low speeds, but it wasn't nearly as frightful as the Maserati. It is also slower than the SL55 around town because of it's low torque!

Old 09-19-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
How about a picture of you with that AMG55??

Are you trying to flirt with me?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles