Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 23,963 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm from Europe, and will be on holiday in Los Angeles in June.
During my visit, I would like to drive around and see some of the neighbourhoods from the movies I like.

I have planned to take a drive down along Crenshaw Blvd, and take a turn down MLK and drive down Buckingham Rd. Won't drive in at Palmwood Drive though.
Then drive and see the murals on Crenshaw, and drive down Cimarron Street and see the house from Boyz n the Hood.
Afterwards drive all the way down to Long Beach and see the intersection of 21st and Lewis and also VIP Records.
Then drive up again to Compton, drive along Rosecrans Ave. by Lueders Park. Then drive by Centennetia High School and also Compton High School. Drive up along Central Ave and drive along Nickerson Gardens, and from there along Imperial HW to Imperial Courts and drive along E 113 st. and see the house from Training Day (Macy Gray).
Then drive to see Watts Towers and afterwards drive along 103rd and take a turn on at Grape St and drive up to 97th st by Jordan Downs.
After that drive to Holme Ave / E 55rd st and see Pueblo Del Rio.
Then drive to MacArthur Park and after to 6th Street and see the 18th Street mural.
Also drive to Ramona Gardens and Estrada Courts and see the murals here.

I know it sounds stupid, but will it be OK to just drive by these places? I won't get out of the car and wont stop either.
Will somebody see me as an intruder and start shooting at the car?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeng View Post
Hi,
I'm from Europe, and will be on holiday in Los Angeles in June.
During my visit, I would like to drive around and see some of the neighbourhoods from the movies I like.

I have planned to take a drive down along Crenshaw Blvd, and take a turn down MLK and drive down Buckingham Rd. Won't drive in at Palmwood Drive though.
Then drive and see the murals on Crenshaw, and drive down Cimarron Street and see the house from Boyz n the Hood.
Afterwards drive all the way down to Long Beach and see the intersection of 21st and Lewis and also VIP Records.
Then drive up again to Compton, drive along Rosecrans Ave. by Lueders Park. Then drive by Centennetia High School and also Compton High School. Drive up along Central Ave and drive along Nickerson Gardens, and from there along Imperial HW to Imperial Courts and drive along E 113 st. and see the house from Training Day (Macy Gray).
Then drive to see Watts Towers and afterwards drive along 103rd and take a turn on at Grape St and drive up to 97th st by Jordan Downs.
After that drive to Holme Ave / E 55rd st and see Pueblo Del Rio.
Then drive to MacArthur Park and after to 6th Street and see the 18th Street mural.
Also drive to Ramona Gardens and Estrada Courts and see the murals here.

I know it sounds stupid, but will it be OK to just drive by these places? I won't get out of the car and wont stop either.
Will somebody see me as an intruder and start shooting at the car?

Thanks in advance!
Depends on if you wearing red or blue. Stick with white. I don't know with all California has to offer why somebody would want to come thousands of miles to see the ghettos and barrios. But if that is your thing, go for it. Maybe your kid will get a shirt that says "My Daddy Went To South Central And All I Got Was This Bullet Riddled Bloody Shirt".

Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
I'm one of the few people that live in South Central (Western and Florence)...so I'll say this. You're safe driving almost ANYWHERE in L.A. in the daytime, and even at night, you're still pretty safe, even deep in the hood...as long as you're DRIVING.

Now walking? Going to a liquor store or park during a hood picnic? Walking by some raggedy apartments on Western? Walking inside of the Nickerson Gardens? Even these things aren't a sure way to die...but I wouldn't advise it at all.

But yeah....you can drive through all of those areas you listed, especially when the sun is out, and have absolutely no problems. Doesn't even matter if the car is red or blue. At worst, they MIGHT think you're a Cop/NARC or something if you're White (I assume you are?)..but either way, nah...they know who looks suspicious, and that won't be you.

I grew up here and have been here for 27 years, between Inglewood, Gardena, and South Central mainly, and I've only seen two shootings which were after some High School parties back in 01 when they were shooting in the sky...so yeah, it's not nearly as bad as you might think.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
Make sure you have rent an armored car

Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Make sure you have rent an armored car
I would not want to write the policy on that rental car. Machine guns do lots of damage!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post
I'm one of the few people that live in South Central (Western and Florence)...so I'll say this. You're safe driving almost ANYWHERE in L.A. in the daytime, and even at night, you're still pretty safe, even deep in the hood...as long as you're DRIVING.

Now walking? Going to a liquor store or park during a hood picnic? Walking by some raggedy apartments on Western? Walking inside of the Nickerson Gardens? Even these things aren't a sure way to die...but I wouldn't advise it at all.

But yeah....you can drive through all of those areas you listed, especially when the sun is out, and have absolutely no problems. Doesn't even matter if the car is red or blue. At worst, they MIGHT think you're a Cop/NARC or something if you're White (I assume you are?)..but either way, nah...they know who looks suspicious, and that won't be you.

I grew up here and have been here for 27 years, between Inglewood, Gardena, and South Central mainly, and I've only seen two shootings which were after some High School parties back in 01 when they were shooting in the sky...so yeah, it's not nearly as bad as you might think.
Spot on. If you're not looking for trouble, trouble most likely won't come to you. I've taken many *excursions* driving through South LA and have lived to tell the story.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Tistic View Post

It is a bit hard to take pictures and video while you drive. No, by all means, get out and walk down Western, Floerence, Normandy.. all of them and ask the locals to smile and take pictures with you! And then when you show them back in Europe you can say "this is the nice boy who took the next picture of me and a guy named Kop Killer and then this is the nice cop who got my camera back from the nice boy and this is me at the hospital getting 42 stitches from the Colt 49 bottle" BTW are they still gonna name Florence "Rodney King Blvd"?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:02 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
It is a bit hard to take pictures and video while you drive.
...where did the OP mention he wants to film/take photos of the area?

Which, yeah, taking pictures of random thugs in Watts might not make them too happy.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,192 times
I've met European tourists at the Watts Towers. It is even safe to get out of your car there (daytime that is). I've walked from the Blue Line to the Watts Towers myself on a few occassions (in daylight hours). And I am white guy who grew up in the suburbs. Never had any problems.

I am NOT saying you should not watch out and be careful. You should. Even in the daytime a guy taking pictures and shooting video might attract attention to himself. So do be careful but as long as you go in the daytime and use reasonable caution you will have no problems.

Last edited by SalParadise; 04-22-2012 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
...where did the OP mention he wants to film/take photos of the area?

Which, yeah, taking pictures of random thugs in Watts might not make them too happy.
All tourist take pictures. That is how you tell they are not locals. They are all carrying cameras. That and the fact that none of them can pronounce "Sepulveda" correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles