Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a modest sales tax increase to support subway construction?
Yes 24 77.42%
No 7 22.58%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,300 times

Advertisements

Let me start out by saying that I don't live in the LA area, so I don't know how the taxes are like.

The fundamental question is not just whether there should be a Westside Subway extension, but whether there should be taxpayer funding for more mass transit in the LA area. One could say no to that question, but what does LA expect to do if there isn't more mass transit? There is horrendous traffic made worse by the fact that there is very little subway and commuter rail compared to other modern cities (I know Metrolink runs commuter rail, but it provides lackluster service in the non-peak hours, unlike counterparts in cities like NYC, Chicago, and Boston.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP0257 View Post
Let me start out by saying that I don't live in the LA area, so I don't know how the taxes are like.

The fundamental question is not just whether there should be a Westside Subway extension, but whether there should be taxpayer funding for more mass transit in the LA area. One could say no to that question, but what does LA expect to do if there isn't more mass transit? There is horrendous traffic made worse by the fact that there is very little subway and commuter rail compared to other modern cities (I know Metrolink runs commuter rail, but it provides lackluster service in the non-peak hours, unlike counterparts in cities like NYC, Chicago, and Boston.).
Actually, one could not. I supposed they could say taxpayers shouldn't be the ones funding, but the fact of the matter is that rail expansion in Los Angeles County will be funded by sales tax in the county for the next 26 years by Measure R. If Measure R+ (which is the real-world parallel to the OP's hypothetical question) passes, then taxpayers would indefinitely help fund expansion (with a half cent sales tax at an average cost of $25 per resident per year).

One note: Measure R (and R+) are not exclusively to fund rail expansion - it also funds transit maintenance, highway expansion/maintenance (405 carpool lane / 710 Big-dig) as well as bicycle and pedestrian projects in the county.

Here's the breakdown from Wikipedia:
  • 35% for transit capital projects (i.e. new rail and bus rapid transit lines).
  • 3% for transit capital on the Metrolink commuter rail system.
  • 2% for transit capital on things like rail cars and rail yards.
  • 20% for highway capital projects.
  • 5% for operations on new rail lines.
  • 20% for bus operation improvements.
  • 15% for local return (i.e. transportation money that individual cities decide how to spend)

Last edited by munchitup; 05-21-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles