Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times

Advertisements

Castles have always been built on high promontories. The better to defend with.

In SoCal, "Location, location, location" often means "View, View, View." That view may explain about half of the massive asking price of a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
To see the view down below and maintain privacy in your own home without neighbors interfering or nosing.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
A couple of years ago, I almost bought a house in Montecito Heights that had an AMAZING view. It was up in the hillside. I, personally, was terrified by this house (being on the balcony made me dizzy), but my husband really REALLY wanted to buy it, and I figured I'd get used to the height. So we made an offer & it was accepted. I had a couple of nightmares about living in the place (the whole house sliding down the hill with me in it). We had the inspection, and the inspector saw some troubling cracks in the foundation. We hired a... I can't remember his title... but we hired him to check out the foundation and make sure it was safe. He said, and I quote, "One good earthquake and this whole thing is coming down." He estimated about $20k worth of work to make it safe.

Needless to say, we backed out and I'm so so SO glad! I would never buy a house on a hillside after all that.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterisAwesome View Post
After taking a CA geology class in college, it made me question why any sane person would live on a hillside in southern ca. Between the fires, the rain, mudslides, santa ana winds, earthquakes; hillsides and hilltops are time and time again the most dangerous place to be.

But some people like living life on the edge!
I took a couple of geology classes in college and one of them included some local field trips. To paraphrase the professor, "Those hills are destined to wind up in that ocean. I just can't tell you when."

Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,676 times
The advantage is lording over the masses or common people and commoners. It's feeling like you are god (sorry, I am not going to capitalize that word) and superior; it's the ultimate status symbol. Looking down at the little people and letting them eat cake. Knowing that you are "higher" than them; even physically higher (besides in financial status). Asserting your financial power and status; making a grand statement. It's a sign of "having arrived".

Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
The advantage is lording over the masses or common people and commoners. It's feeling like you are god (sorry, I am not going to capitalize that word) and superior; it's the ultimate status symbol. Looking down at the little people and letting them eat cake. Knowing that you are "higher" than them; even physically higher (besides in financial status). Asserting your financial power and status; making a grand statement. It's a sign of "having arrived".
Is that why you're scared of heights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Knowing that you are "higher" than them
Oh, you don't need a fancy hillside house to know that.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 AM

199 posts, read 618,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterisAwesome View Post
One of the big advantages of hilltop living is the mudslides during our rainy season. If you don't like your neighborhood at the top of the hill, you can see how your new house fits in with the neighborhood at the bottom of the hill.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Enjoy the ride down!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:34 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:

You're daydreaming again. Snap out of it!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM

339 posts, read 777,821 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Do I detect a slight hint of jealousy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles