Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesallimc View Post
"The tenant can go elsewhere."

Seriously? Not that simple... Guess "owners" don't want to acknowledge that as has been explained time and time again in this thread. I wonder if the government utilized eminent domain on these same owners how they would feel. Apparently, only renters have feelings...
It happens all the time. The Govt buys the property from property owners and pays them the market rate. Just like owners pay renters under rent control to move. If they are old, they get a lot more. How do you think all these new schools in Los Angeles county were built over the past 10-15 years. Govt bought out large sections of land, tore down the buildings and built and sometimes they did not build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Rent control abuse, really?

I'm going to use myself as an example. I moved to Sherman Oaks in 1997. The rent for my two-bedroom apartment was $725. Even under rent control, by the time I moved out in 2009, it was $1,036. That's a 43% increase over twelve years. I can guarantee that my salary certainly didn't increase that much! I'm lucky if it increased maybe 1-2% per year.

When I moved to another apartment in 2009, my rent became $1,395 - the market rate, and a 35% increase from what I was paying at the other place. I'm lucky that I now get paid extra on top of my salary, or I'd still be living in the rent-controlled hovel. I'm also lucky that the economy tanked in 2008, because by mid-2009 I was finally able to find a nice two-bedroom for a reasonable price; I'm sure this apartment was renting for at least $1,600 in 2007!

I wanted to move from my old apartment since at least 2006 (when my son graduated from high school), and probably even earlier but I simply couldn't afford to. I had two kids and no child support (long story, but I basically picked the wrong guy to marry and have babies with). So tell me, please, how exactly was I abusing rent control?

To be honest, I'd never live in another rent-controlled building again. My experience with it was awful. And I agree with what you said about low-income tenants, too. Section 8 has been terribly abused by people who are used to living off the system, and everything in my old building started to go downhill when the owner decided to begin renting to Section 8 recipients.

The owner of that building was one step up from a slumlord. I can't even remember how many times the pool turned green and mossy because the pump broke and he couldn't be bothered to get it fixed. The paint was peeling all over the place, because he hires cheap labor and they don't know how to paint properly, and they use cheap materials. God help you if you have a plumbing issue, because the maintenance voice mail box was always full. However, my old apartment sat on the market for nine months before it was rented, so he was obviously penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Greggd1, please remember there are two sides to every story. I was able to get out, but not everyone is as fortunate. The truth is that good tenants are not valued, anymore, and that's sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Rent Control for Seniors is one thing, but for a younger person or family, its being abused when used as long term housing.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Rent control abuse, really?

I'm going to use myself as an example. I moved to Sherman Oaks in 1997. The rent for my two-bedroom apartment was $725. Even under rent control, by the time I moved out in 2009, it was $1,036. That's a 43% increase over twelve years. I can guarantee that my salary certainly didn't increase that much! I'm lucky if it increased maybe 1-2% per year.

When I moved to another apartment in 2009, my rent became $1,395 - the market rate, and a 35% increase from what I was paying at the other place. I'm lucky that I now get paid extra on top of my salary, or I'd still be living in the rent-controlled hovel. I'm also lucky that the economy tanked in 2008, because by mid-2009 I was finally able to find a nice two-bedroom for a reasonable price; I'm sure this apartment was renting for at least $1,600 in 2007!

I wanted to move from my old apartment since at least 2006 (when my son graduated from high school), and probably even earlier but I simply couldn't afford to. I had two kids and no child support (long story, but I basically picked the wrong guy to marry and have babies with). So tell me, please, how exactly was I abusing rent control?

To be honest, I'd never live in another rent-controlled building again. My experience with it was awful. And I agree with what you said about low-income tenants, too. Section 8 has been terribly abused by people who are used to living off the system, and everything in my old building started to go downhill when the owner decided to begin renting to Section 8 recipients.

The owner of that building was one step up from a slumlord. I can't even remember how many times the pool turned green and mossy because the pump broke and he couldn't be bothered to get it fixed. The paint was peeling all over the place, because he hires cheap labor and they don't know how to paint properly, and they use cheap materials. God help you if you have a plumbing issue, because the maintenance voice mail box was always full. However, my old apartment sat on the market for nine months before it was rented, so he was obviously penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Greggd1, please remember there are two sides to every story. I was able to get out, but not everyone is as fortunate. The truth is that good tenants are not valued, anymore, and that's sad.

A condo purchased in or near sherman oaks in 1998-2000 you would have had a mortgage of about the same with minimal downpayment.

The entire City of LA is rent controlled.

You may not have abused rent control, but there are many that do and in doing so, they abuse and screw themselves as they have missed opportunities to move on to something better. Obviously this isnt 100% the case, but I would say much more than not. There are also many property owners who are penny pinching fools that do the minimum and set themselves up for negligence claims.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 PM

236 posts, read 789,355 times
Quote:
A condo purchased in or near sherman oaks in 1998-2000 you would have had a mortgage of about the same with minimal downpayment.

The entire City of LA is rent controlled.

You may not have abused rent control, but there are many that do and in doing so, they abuse and screw themselves as they have missed opportunities to move on to something better. Obviously this isnt 100% the case, but I would say much more than not. There are also many property owners who are penny pinching fools that do the minimum and set themselves up for negligence claims.

There are many reasons people choose to rent over purchase that may not have anything to do with money.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
There are many reasons people choose to rent over purchase that may not have anything to do with money.
ok good. then in that case, there should be no problem in finding another unit to "rent" if an owner wants to occupy "his" unit.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:07 PM

236 posts, read 789,355 times
Quote:
ok good. then in that case, there should be no problem in finding another unit to "rent" if an owner wants to occupy "his" unit.
Not sure what the correlation between preferring to rent and ease of finding a unit to rent is, but if you see it, then good for you.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Why would anyone even want to life in a 3rd world sewer like LA ?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Not sure what the correlation between preferring to rent and ease of finding a unit to rent is, but if you see it, then good for you.

Not sure you read the discussion either

Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times
I am a landlord in Los Angeles myself from a different city and let me tell you the nightmare of owning our apartment building was HELL! We finally sold it at the end of last year. You as a landlord basically have NO RIGHTS, none! I have come to honestly think that Los Angeles does not want to house these people so they make private owners subsidize them, dead serious!

Just wait for your SCEP inspection. My big building imspection was hell, they were thinking of pressing criminal charges on me for No window screens. Insanity with one oppurtunity to correct problem. Well i camt prevent tenants from ripping out window screens, pleeaaassseee. My other smaller building's SCEP imspection was a breeze.

The only for sure way to evict a tenant is through non- payment of rent. That is the easiest, quickest way to evict someone.

I could give you a phone number to our evictions attorney or you can basically just call an evictions attorney in Los Angeles and a lot of them give free advice over the phone.

Good luck!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 28,629 times
Well, after all that, one of my tenants moved out on their own...what a relief. I didn't have to do anything. Actually lots of tenants are moving out in that neighborhood. My sister is moving in and we are all set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles