Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 7,133 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been searching the forms, trying to get a better understanding of what Long Beach is like in terms of overall standard of living, safety, etc.

I've found some apartments for rent, and hoping to get some input on what the areas around them are like:

1300 block of Walnut Ave
1900 block of E 7th St
400 block of Cedar Ave
1500 block of N Stanton

Are there any I should avoid?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Densely packed older apartment buildings. Fairly high property crime, although MUCH less than say 15 years ago. Mostly latino, african american, and cambodian population.

Those are not very good areas of Long Beach.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 PM

139 posts, read 207,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time To Move On View Post
Hello,

I've been searching the forms, trying to get a better understanding of what Long Beach is like in terms of overall standard of living, safety, etc.

I've found some apartments for rent, and hoping to get some input on what the areas around them are like:

1300 block of Walnut Ave
1900 block of E 7th St
400 block of Cedar Ave
1500 block of N Stanton

Are there any I should avoid?

Thank you.
As a general rule, the closer to the ocean, the less the commotion.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
If you're on a budget and want somewhere safe, I'd look at the Alamitos Beach area. There's a ton of for rent signs there and when I've checked them out they looked pretty cheap, like $900 a month for a 1br. The people living there are a bit ghetto but it's better than areas further north.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM

354 posts, read 712,244 times
please dont stereotype. i live in a studio acrlss from the beach in alamitos beach. i am a sped teacher with a masters degree. i hardky think i am ghetto, and neither are my neighbors (who include a nurse and a retail manager) stereotyping people is ghetto and ignorant.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Well I live nearby myself, just west of Alamitos Ave. People here kind of stereotype themselves but generally I find them pretty harmless. The condos along Ocean Ave are nice but I'm not going to deny that as you go north from there people start getting pretty riff-raff-ish. Again I don't think it's that bad, people here generally behave themselves pretty well, but some people might be put off by the folks around here.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 AM

JohnG72 - Thank you for the info.

Forrest of Dean - I've been getting that sense about the ocean/less commotion link.

MayorHaggar/MayaLevi - Thank you for your input as well.

I can't see myself living in the areas mentioned in my original post.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,023 times
I live on the 300 block of Chestnut, which is one block away from 400 Cedar. It is not terrible by any means, but if you moved into the 300 Cedar block it's actually much better. The area is basically the border between poverty and respectability. Lot's of homeless people around, but the police station is fairly close.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
I personally would avoid the area west of Cherry and north of 4th Street.
If you want to go further North of 4th street, (inland) then make sure you are also going further East:

Regardless, there is riff-raff or ghetto like people in almost every part of LB and I do not mean the way people look, I always refer to the way they live, talk to and treat others.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I personally would avoid the area west of Cherry and north of 4th Street.
If you want to go further North of 4th street, (inland) then make sure you are also going further East:

Regardless, there is riff-raff or ghetto like people in almost every part of LB and I do not mean the way people look, I always refer to the way they live, talk to and treat others.
LOL! That's a great graphic!

Based on the comments so far and what I'm reading, I think you're right about staying South of 4th and East of Cherry.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles