Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 10,562 times

Advertisements

Hey! We're currently looking for a decent neighborhood to move to in Los Angeles, 'we' meaning one twenty six year old from Alabama who is looking to apply to a few universities around Los Angeles to go back to theater, and one twenty one year old from Minneapolis who has both her Esthiology and Cosmetology licenses and is going to be attending the Make Up Designory (MUD) school before looking into starting college for music management.

We're not sure what the different neighborhoods are like, but things that we're hoping to get into in our spare time is: the local music scene, dancing (hip-hop mostly), trying out for the roller derby league, exploring the rockabilly and kustom kulture community, and finding great hole in the wall bars.

We're not going to be living filthily rich, in fact we're both perfectly fine with and have experience having to live meagerly. We'll be surviving off of an entry level salon job salary, whatever job the other can find, and financial aid help.

Also, one of us have family all over the SoCal area in case of emergency. (Cousin in LA, aunt in San Francisco, two uncles and a mom in Palm Springs, etc.)

So... has anything I said made you think of a specific neighborhood? Any words of wisdom or advice you could give us? We're planning this move for spring of 2013, so I'm not looking for any intense information right now, just good things to know while browsing apartments and areas and what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyPage View Post
Hey! We're currently looking for a decent neighborhood to move to in Los Angeles, 'we' meaning one twenty six year old from Alabama who is looking to apply to a few universities around Los Angeles to go back to theater, and one twenty one year old from Minneapolis who has both her Esthiology and Cosmetology licenses and is going to be attending the Make Up Designory (MUD) school before looking into starting college for music management.

We're not sure what the different neighborhoods are like, but things that we're hoping to get into in our spare time is: the local music scene, dancing (hip-hop mostly), trying out for the roller derby league, exploring the rockabilly and kustom kulture community, and finding great hole in the wall bars.

We're not going to be living filthily rich, in fact we're both perfectly fine with and have experience having to live meagerly. We'll be surviving off of an entry level salon job salary, whatever job the other can find, and financial aid help.

Also, one of us have family all over the SoCal area in case of emergency. (Cousin in LA, aunt in San Francisco, two uncles and a mom in Palm Springs, etc.)

So... has anything I said made you think of a specific neighborhood? Any words of wisdom or advice you could give us? We're planning this move for spring of 2013, so I'm not looking for any intense information right now, just good things to know while browsing apartments and areas and what not.
The roller derby team LA Derby Dolls practice over on Alverado near Echo Park.... There's also a team in Long Beach. If you like rockabilly and stuff like that, Long Beach might be a good bet, though it is further away from all the "industry" type things like make-up schools and theaters.

Last edited by munchitup; 05-24-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 12:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I'm not sure you can afford all that while surviving off entry level (and they will be part time) jobs. School, rent, even drinks in hole in the wall bars are $$.

Echo Park/Korea Town would be a good bet if you had means to support yourself. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,624,441 times
right near USC... if you don't mind stabbings, gunshots & armed robberies. Yolo? ha

seriously, I bet you could get apartments in that area to knock a couple hundred off their monthly considering all the negative press they've been receiving.

Just don't drive a Bimmer and you'll be okay.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 PM

We will be looking for roommates, without a doubt, I mean at this point we have us two.
And I already live in the highest rated neighborhood for crime in Minnesota, so that's not TOO much of a bother.

People easily drive an hour to class everyday in Minnesota, how far is too far in CA?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Does anyone know much about North Hollywood?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
People easily drive an hour to class everyday in Minnesota, how far is too far in CA?
Usually it's not a matter of how far but how long.

You need a more solid plan about school, if that is actually part of the plan or just a distant idea for SOMEDAY... otherwise you can come for an extended vacation and see what's what. You may be able to live with roommates and get by on low paying jobs for awhile. Have some $$ in savings to get you through if you can't find any work though and don't sign a lease you can't keep.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 AM

237 posts, read 669,011 times
Fullerton College (a less expensive community college)has a well known and excellent Theater Arts program. You being non-resident will have to pay a lot more. However, if you can demonstrate an "intention" to reside in California with proper evidence (CA ID, CA bank account) you MIGHT be considered for in-state fees, but the longer you are here before that the better.

You could commute to Fullerton College as it is just a few blocks from the Fullerton Transportation Center served by both Amtrak and Metrolink trains. Or you could just live close to FC. It may be worth it.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Awesome I love all of the details! Right now it is 100% set in stone that I will be attending MUD in Burbank, I'm just not sure about my roommate yet.

Would driving about 35 miles from Long Beach to Burbank for class be an idiotic thing to try? I have a cousin out there who's been in LA for years and it'd be nice to be close to him. It also seems like Long Beach has some good prices on rent.

Last edited by BloodyPage; 05-29-2012 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 AM

I should also add, now that I know, my roommate is opting out of college life and instead intends to transfer her job at Guitar Center Studios from where she lives now to the Woodland Hills area. In her spare time she will be attending casting calls and using her many connections to the theater community to the max. So basically we're looking at places between Woodland Hills and Burbank...

Anyone know much about Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Sherman Oaks? Decent neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles