U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 PM

4,402 posts, read 12,451,192 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I recently started exploring the Los Angeles area even though we have lived here a while, and are having the best time!

I was wondering, for the locals, what are the best places you have found to visit?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 PM

3,165 posts, read 9,119,422 times
Can you be more specific about your interests? Hiking, museums, beaches, etc. Also, budget and transportation requirements would help.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Can you be more specific about your interests? Hiking, museums, beaches, etc. Also, budget and transportation requirements would help.
I was actually vague intentionally. I was sort of hoping for people to give me some idea on what their favorites have been, as we are pretty open to just about anything. Although I draw the line at skydiving as I see no reason to jump out of a perfectly good plane.

We have done hiking, LACMA, the Huntington, a drive to the desert, Santa Monica Beach, Disneyland at Christmas, etc. We have a car so anywhere that is a "reasonable day" trip qualifies (leave in the am and reasonable to be home by 10-11 at night). And budget not really that much of an issue. Some trips have been expensive, others free.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,912,324 times
Being too vague isn't really courteous to those coming up with ideas which may duplicate what you've done or be something you wouldn't do (or couldn't do with your mode of transportation, etc.). We also don't know your budget. Or where you live (big factor in the area). Some people who say they are open to "anything" really aren't (e.g., no amusement parks, or maybe no tours of stars homes or maybe no museums). There are literally thousands of possiblities-- enough to fill a book (in fact, that's been done). I assume you've been to both the Getty Center and Getty Villa (latter in Malibu; smaller than the Getty Center but quite interesting). And the Exposition Park museums. What about Gene Autry Museum of the West? Grifith Park? Channel Islands National Park (day trips by boat from Ventura and Oxnard)? Movie studio tours (thinking of Warner Brothers, Sony, Paramount, with Universal more theme park, I think)? San Fernando Mission? How about even downtown L.A., including Angels Flight, Bradbury Building, Olvera Street, Union Station, etc. (some residents haven't been to all these places)? Calico Ghost Town, out by Barstow, run by the Knott's Berry Farm folks?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 AM

Channel Islands is a great idea. Also hadn't thought of Angel's Flight, somehow. And Calico Ghost Town is also new to me, but could be great. Especially out by Barstow, as my fiancee really enjoys the trips to the desert.

Also, I have been to the Getty, but not the Getty Villa in Malibu. Somehow I also forgot about that one.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM

2,789 posts, read 5,254,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
My fiancee and I recently started exploring the Los Angeles area even though we have lived here a while, and are having the best time!

I was wondering, for the locals, what are the best places you have found to visit?

Thanks!
I like visiting various ethnic enclaves and trying different kinds of food. From previous posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Lots of choices for ethnic food!!

Lets start with Japanese,Mitsuwa Market at 665 Paularino Ave in Costa Mesa. This place is awesome.

Mitsuwa

Garden Grove has a huge number of Korean restaurants,especially between Brookhurst and Beach on Garden Grove Blvd.

Westminster is Little Saigon.

Guide to Little Saigon, Orange County

If you head to Artesia there is fantastic Indian Food. This is my first stop when I am back in the area.

Artesia Indian Community Guide

If you are really adventurous you can try Cambodian food in Long Beach.

Cambodia Town, Long Beach

You can find authentic Chinese food in many areas of Southern CA,the most prominent is Monterey Park.

Southern California Chinatowns

Quote:
For nice places to walk around:

Belmont Shore in Long Beach.

Explore Belmont Shore

Belmont Brewing Company

Balboa Island and the Balboa Fun Zone.

Balboa Island Main Site

Balboa Fun Zone, Newport beach, California

Fullerton has a very small downtown.

Downtown Fullerton - Restaurants & Bars

For something different, Orange County and nearby parts of LA county have many very authentic ethnic enclaves. You can go to Koreatown in Garden Grove, Little Saigon in Westminster,Little Cambodia(Little Phnom Penh) in Long Beach,Little India in Artesia,Mitsuwa Marketplace & Japanese food court in Costa Mesa or stay in Irvine and get Chinatown style Chinese food at Sam Wo. I have eaten at more chain restaurants in San Francisco than I ever did in Orange County!

Welcome to Kaju Tofu Restaurant

Jinga

Asian Garden Mall

Vietnamese Fine Dining

Welcome to The India Restaurant

Cambodian Restaurant in Long Beach | Monorom Cambodian Restaurant

Mitsuwa Marketplace Costa Mesa

Sam Woo Irvine - Chinese Seafood

Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I like visiting various ethnic enclaves and trying different kinds of food. From previous posts:
Thanks for all the ideas and links. Cambodian interests me. Also, as each of the links send us to different areas, its perfect!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,872,949 times
I know a place right in the middle of the city, quiet, open and isolated, but I'd like to keep it my own little secret; can't have all you people going over there and ruining it for me

Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 PM

472 posts, read 765,445 times
Originally Posted by capoeira
For something different, Orange County and nearby parts of LA county have many very authentic ethnic enclaves. You can go to Koreatown in Garden Grove, Little Saigon in Westminster,Little Cambodia(Little Phnom Penh) in Long Beach,Little India in Artesia,Mitsuwa Marketplace & Japanese food court in Costa Mesa or stay in Irvine and get Chinatown style Chinese food at Sam Wo. I have eaten at more chain restaurants in San Francisco than I ever did in Orange County!

Sorry, but I find this a little off. Forget about the OC when it comes to Asian food, Vietnamese being the exception. Better Korean food and more authentic Koreatown is in K-Town in LA. Better and more varieties of Japanese food can be found in Little Tokyo, the Sawtelle area, and Torrance. And Chinese food in Irvine and Chinatown is very lacking and can't compared to San Gabriel Valley. That's where you have to explore for the best Chinese food and for more of an authentic Asian enclave. The Sam Woo in San Gabriel is far superior btw. I agree Little India in Artesia is cool.

As for a day trip idea, I suggest Joshua Tree if you guys haven't done that already.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post

As for a day trip idea, I suggest Joshua Tree if you guys haven't done that already.
That's actually one of them on my list. As I mentioned, my fiancee likes the desert stuff, so I think this would be a great trip for him. And I love the Joshua Tree's themselves, so I think it would be great.

Have you been there and if so, any tips on making it the best possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles