Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM

32 posts, read 101,638 times

Advertisements

I'll be riding in from SD on the Amtrak and expecting a noonish arrival into Union Station. I'd like to rent a car @ LAX since I'll be dropping off there 3 days later.

What is an average taxi fare for this? It'll be the wife and I w/ luggage, what's our most convenient way and economical? I heard of FlyAway, where does it drop me off at and then would I be able to shuttle into Budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,766,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedawg85 View Post
I'll be riding in from SD on the Amtrak and expecting a noonish arrival into Union Station. I'd like to rent a car @ LAX since I'll be dropping off there 3 days later.

What is an average taxi fare for this? It'll be the wife and I w/ luggage, what's our most convenient way and economical? I heard of FlyAway, where does it drop me off at and then would I be able to shuttle into Budget?
The Flyaway shuttle drops you off at the terminals I believe, so I'm not sure how you would get to the Budget from the terminals, but it might be possible (or there is a shuttle to get back out to the rental car places). I believe it is 7 bucks a person compared to at least 40-50 bucks for a cab.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 PM

32 posts, read 101,638 times
New idea:
Rent car and return from/to Union Station. Then take Flyaway to LAX. Still $7 right, it's not just for people getting on/off the train that day is it

Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,169,326 times
Example: Budget Union Station:
Hours of Operation Sun 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Mon - Fri 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Sat 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Hertz Union Station:
Hours of Operation: Mo-Fr 0700-1200 and 1230-1800, Sa-Su 0800-1200 and 1230-1400

FlyAway bus: LAX FlyAway Bus

From Union Station you could also take a Metrolink train to Burbank Airport and rent there (return to LAX).

You ask for "convenient and economical" without saying which has a priority. FlyAway for cost, taxi for convenience.

Taxi Fare Finder Los Angeles, CA - Estimate Your Taxi Cab Fare, Cost & Rates estimates a bit over $60 taxi fare from Union Station.

If you go to LAX by Flyaway to get the car, once you get to the airport (just choose a terminal to get off at), shuttle buses for the various rental companies pass by regularly. There will be an area marked for shuttle vans. You wait and hop on. If you go by taxi, just ask them to take you to the rental car location or any terminal.

You'd have to check with rental car companies to compare rates picking up and dropping off at different locations, or Union Station for both or LAX for both. A year ago I had a car reserved to pick up at Union Station and drop off at Ontario Airport, but messed up the dates, and by the time I tried to change things, the rates at Union Station were so high I took th train to Burbank Airport to rent there.

Last edited by Samoi137; 05-29-2012 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM

95 posts, read 274,024 times
I think the easiest thing would be to rent the car at Union Station. There are Budget and Hertz counters there. You may be able to just return the car to LAX--both companies also have airport locations. If not, you can return the car to Union Station and jump on the FlyAway to LAX.

A taxi from Union Station to LAX will run $60-65 before tip. The FlyAway costs $7/person one-way, it runs every half-hour, and it takes 30-45min to get to the airport, depending on the time of day. Outside of rush hour, it takes 1/2 hour. I use it all the time and find it to be very convenient. (From inside Union Station, follow signs to the bus bay. The bus bay is opposite from the main entrance to the station. Once you're outside at the bus area, you'll see a kiosk where you buy tickets for the FlyAway. It's well marked, and there will be people around to ask for directions. And yes---anyone can use the FlyAway. It has nothing to do with your other train or air travel plans.)

One thing to keep in mind is that the cars at Union Station are a bit more expensive than those at LAX--e.g. $35/day vs $20/day. So if cost is a big issue, you may prefer to rent from the airport. If so, you can jump on the FlyAway from Union Station to the airport, and then take a shuttle to the car rental area to pick up the car. But, that turns your arrival into a bit of a hassle. By the time you wait for both shuttles, etc, you will probably have delayed your true arrival time by over an hour.

Good luck, and enjoy your stay!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,766,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedawg85 View Post
New idea:
Rent car and return from/to Union Station. Then take Flyaway to LAX. Still $7 right, it's not just for people getting on/off the train that day is it
Not a terrible idea, and yes, anyone can take the Flyaway shuttle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles