U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,629 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, this website has come up numerous times in my search to find a suitable neighborhood for myself when i make a transition to living in California. I figured i would just register and ask everyone instead of reading other threads!

My goal is to get predominately located as close to LA as possible, without sacrificing quality of living or having to deal with an unusually higher amount of crime. I am fine with a 30-1hr commute to Los angeles.

My job is one where i visit many different locations, so i wont always be driving to the same places every day, and some days i will work from home. I see some areas that charge 1-1.5k rent for a 1 bedroom, and areas like West hollywood charge 2-3x that.

I just want to live in a middle class apartment or area, thats preferably 1 hour max to the hollywood areas of LA given standard traffic conditions, and isnt over 1.5k rent per month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:47 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,974,437 times
The Eagle Rock/Silverlake area can be nice. About 30 minutes to downtown and 1.5 hours to Santa Monica in traffic. They are up and coming, with a lot of the older homes but also with college students/artists going to Occidental.

Oh, and there are NO standard traffic conditions. It depends on the time, the day, whenter or not there is a holiday coming up or just passed (for example, traffic today would be likely heavier than on Friday) and whether school is in or out.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
The Eagle Rock/Silverlake area can be nice. About 30 minutes to downtown and 1.5 hours to Santa Monica in traffic. They are up and coming, with a lot of the older homes but also with college students/artists going to Occidental.

Oh, and there are NO standard traffic conditions. It depends on the time, the day, whenter or not there is a holiday coming up or just passed (for example, traffic today would be likely heavier than on Friday) and whether school is in or out.
Awesome, i will look into those.

Yeah, I've been out there before and saw how sporadic the traffic could be. I should have said "1 hour in light/moderate traffic". If it takes an extra hour to get to where i need to be on some days, then so be it.

I just dont want to live in the hood, lol.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM

4,268 posts, read 9,027,688 times
West Hollywood isn't $3k-4.5 k for a one bd apt

Its 1k-2.5k depending on amenities, age, etc.

A bazillion other locations nearby also. With a 1500 budget for a one bedroom apt, you can live just about anywhere in LA.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
West Hollywood isn't $3k-4.5 k for a one bd apt

Its 1k-2.5k depending on amenities, age, etc.

A bazillion other locations nearby also. With a 1500 budget for a one bedroom apt, you can live just about anywhere in LA.

Lol seriously? These apartment locators are bogus then.

Anywhere you would recommend?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:49 PM

13 posts, read 38,385 times
Miracle mile area could be done for the budget. Central to everything in L.A. and a real nice neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
I lived in LA a year and a half and it is a wonderfull place in many ways - the weather is incredible and the old architecture is magnificent - the ocean and mountain views are amazing, plus it's a melting pot of different cultures and the people can be very friendly and nice, BUT the traffic is atrocious. There is no public transportation (exclude the bus because it's in traffic to). Parking is equally bad.

That being said, the best neighborhoods in my opinion for quality of life and to avoid traffic are Santa Monica, Brentwood and the Pacific Palisades. These are the only cities that are close to the water, have a very high quality of life and insulation from the noise and traffic (Brentwood can get congested, but it's very nice). Silverlake is also it's own bubble that is inland and nice.

Be careful. WeHo and B Hills are nice, but I was in B Hills in the price range you're talking about and had crime issues and was perpetually stuck in traffic. When I lived in S Monica I was very happy because I could walk everywhere.

Goodluck! It really is a nice city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or