Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,271 times

Advertisements

Hello My family of four (2 kids under 4yrs) are likely to move to LA in Sept 2012.
We live currently in Mid Toronto and bike and take transit downtown to work. (Toronto is in Canada, the country above the USA )

We do not want to move to the suburbs!

My wife will be working in Downtown LA, while I will be at home with the kids (uugh)

We are looking for neighbourhoods that are safe, have good cafes and parks and that we can take the Metro (subway) no more than a 30-40 min journey
I'm guessing bikeing in LA is not an option?

Tight budget of $1500-$2000 for rent of a 2bdrm.

Any suggestions?

Not sure if this is realistic?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,150,283 times
pasadena would be ideal as long as public schools aren't a concern. if public schools are needed, check out south pasadena (the city directly south of pasadena ). both cities have gold line access to downtown. another place to consider if schools don't matter would be los feliz near the red line. i would also throw in culver city as the expo line is nearing completion and will soon be an option to downtown.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,606,885 times
South Pasadena or Culver City. 2 bd/2ba apartments run 1500-1800 in both places. Both have easy access to train lines that go downtown.

Pasadena also if public schools aren't a concern.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,271 times
Wow, thanks for the quick replys.
whats West Holywood like?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:44 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,150,283 times
west hollywood has no rail access. there are some rapid buses that serve both west hollywood and downtown, but those buses have to sit in our notorious traffic jams just like cars.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM

237 posts, read 667,728 times
Actually cycling is gaining popularity in LA. Many cycle as part of the first or last "mile" of public transit. UHHHG! MTA is taking more seats OUT to accommodate. Sometimes cyclists BARELY fit or have to wait for the next train.

I too, vote South Pasadena, and Gold Line serves the Mission Station to Downtown LA or downtown Pasadena. But it is pricey.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM

95 posts, read 274,533 times
Depending on how urban an environment you're comfortable with, you might consider just living Downtown. It's a vibrant neighborhood with lots to do, and more and more couples with kids live here. There's a great playground, and next year a new park opens. There are kids activities at museums nearby, and at the music venues on Bunker Hill. I think there are a lot of exciting things for a young family to do here, and you'd be able to spend more time together, because your wife would have a super short (possibly walkable) commute. You guys could even have lunch together sometimes.

Here are a few articles from our local paper about parents with kids in the neighborhood:

Notes From the Mom Zone: Exploring the City Wonderland - Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!: Community: mom_zone,

Meet the Parents - Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!: News

There are a lot of people on these forums who aren't comfortable with an urban environment, and they'll say that Downtown is a scary place to live. But, it's not different than living in any other city center. If you're the kind of family that enjoys that environment, then you'd probably enjoy living here.

Wherever you wind up, I hope you'll love living in LA! There are lots of great things to enjoy here.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles