U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 PM

8 posts, read 14,342 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I ll be arriving at LAX- Terminal 5 but I ll need to get to somewhere to use the FlyAway shuttle bus to get to Westwood. On their website there s something mentioned about it but I couldnt get it.
"Passengers board buses on the Lower/Arrivals Level curbside in front of each terminal under the green "FlyAway, Buses and Long Distance Vans" sign".
So it means from Terminal 5 there s also a bus stop for FlyAway bus?

I ll need to buy a prepaid card, is it more expensive buying it at the airport? or I d better buy it somewhere in the city?

I ve been looking at some posts here, people mentioned a lot about how the Downtown LA is dangerous, so being a girl I should avoid that area even during the day time? or Downtown is not that safe only walking at night?

Thanks so much for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,180,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindushka View Post
Hi everyone,

I ll be arriving at LAX- Terminal 5 but I ll need to get to somewhere to use the FlyAway shuttle bus to get to Westwood. On their website there s something mentioned about it but I couldnt get it.
"Passengers board buses on the Lower/Arrivals Level curbside in front of each terminal under the green "FlyAway, Buses and Long Distance Vans" sign".
So it means from Terminal 5 there s also a bus stop for FlyAway bus?

I ll need to buy a prepaid card, is it more expensive buying it at the airport? or I d better buy it somewhere in the city?

I ve been looking at some posts here, people mentioned a lot about how the Downtown LA is dangerous, so being a girl I should avoid that area even during the day time? or Downtown is not that safe only walking at night?

Thanks so much for any advice.
Here's the link at the LAX website for Flyaway:

LAX FlyAway Bus

Just look for the Green sign on the lower level.

Wikipedia page has what it looks like:
FlyAway Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It should be right outside Terminal 5 (I believe almost every terminal has a stop).

I don't know anything about pre-paid cards, sorry.

Downtown L.A. is not dangerous at night or day, for the most part. Avoid anything East of Spring Street though, as that gets into Skid Row (homeless junkie) territory.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,829,715 times
The FlyAway buses normally stop at all terminals. Be sure you're at the right place (if unsure, ask), and that you get on the right bus, since there are FlyAway buses to, in addition to Westwood, Union Station, Van Nuys and Irvine. The Westwood bus lets you off outside a parking structure in Westwood Village a couple of blocks from UCLA.

Don't know why you'd think you must buy a pass. It's just one option, for folks who will be in the area and using public transportation a lot. The FlyAway Web site clearly says that "The FlyAway Network does not accept cash. Tickets may be purchased at the bus with Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit or debit cards. Riders on the Van Nuys, Union Station and Westwood FlyAways may also use the L.A. County EZ transit pass." (If you want a pass, see http://www.metro.net/around/fares/ez-transit-pass/)

You also ask about downtown L.A., but I assume you're not taking the FlyAway bus to Union Station. I've felt safe walking around downtown, at least near the hotel we stayed at (the Biltmore), even at night. You don't say where you'd be going. If in doubt, ask your hotel. Or take a taxi if it's particuarly late and/or you are unsure of the area.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,288 posts, read 1,616,546 times
When you exit LAX after getting your luggage you are already at the lower terminal. You will see cars pick up people, cross halfway to the middle where people wait to get picked up by vans, buses or rental car shuttles. There so many of these big buses and vans. You have to look out for your blue flyaway bus because there are many of them. I think the Westwood flyaway buses come every hour on top of the hour on weekdays, but look online for their schedule. I dont know how popular the Westwood bus is but when I go to Union Station, the buses are sometimes almost full by the time they get to Terminal 7. These buses now ONLY take credit/debit cards like Visa, MC or Amex.

The other option to get to Westwood is the Super Shuttle shard van. It costs more money (maybe a tip), but it will take you in front of your home or hotel. I think the Westwood Flyaway takes you down near Wilshire/Veteran and getting to UCLA or around Westside LA will take more time. The other option is a taxi.

I dont know what type of prepaid card you will need, or what it means, but you can find many of these cards (prepaid gift cards, phone cards and cash cards) in stores like CVS or Rite-aid, some grocery stores like Ralphs, and major stores like Target. Westwood Village has these stores. I dont think I have ever seen any stores in LAX except inside after you enter security, but not at domestic terminals 1-8. Maybe the international terminal might have a store but anything at the airport will be expensive.

Most of Downtown LA is safe to walk around during the day especially work days when there are many people walking around. On Saturday and Sundays, you dont see many people walking around financial area or the music center, or the City Hall area. There are all walking around LA Live, 7th street, broadway,Santee Alley and Little Tokyo and that is usually full. At night, just stay in areas where there are lots of people and you should be fine.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,829,715 times
[quote=saybanana;24548217] I think the Westwood Flyaway takes you down near Wilshire/Veteran and getting to UCLA or around Westside LA will take more time.
quote]

The LAX FlyAway bus stop is located adjacent to Westwood Village, outside of UCLA Parking Structure 32 on the north side of Kinross Avenue, one block west of Gayley Avenue. The FlyAway Web site has a map (and a schedule). http://www.lawa.org/popup.aspx?id=300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles