U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 PM

84 posts, read 91,552 times

Advertisements

$1,000,000.01
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 29,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
aiesha, I work as an artist in LA, and the unfortunate truth is - at least in my personal experience - no one will offer you a job while you're still out of state. They want local people who can start fast. I had a few phone interviews but nothing solid until I made the plunge and moved here from AZ last year, and I was only 4-5 hours drive away.
Thanks. Actually that does help because I was thinking maybe I could get a job like that first. I guess I will have to just save up enough money and move out there and get on the grind to find a job fast enough before I run out of money

Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 AM

176 posts, read 263,649 times
Listen brother, my two uncles moved to Los Angeles with 2,000 dollars in their pocket back in the 80's and they turned those $2K to 200 Million dollars and they were both immigrants with no work permit in their first few years.
Get of the pitty potty. you can make it with $2K however you will need to work ur asss hard on the first month (finding a job etc...)....

Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM

103 posts, read 134,745 times
If no job lined up I would want at least 6-12 months of living expenses. It took my g/f 10 months to land a professional job (not waiting tables or serving coffee). Assuming you want to live west of downtown LA so figure 1000-1200/month for a tiny studio/1br and double that for deposit if you are going to lease on your own. You'll need to register your car and change your insurance (figure $100-250 based on value of your vehicle, and insurance will be more expensive here). Assuming you straight out own your car (no payment) then I would have 6 months of gas + reg + insurance. Note that while gas is more expensive here, I found that I drive much less so it evened out (coming from Houston).

Income tax will go from 6% to 9ish depending on where you end up living.

Parking - go ahead and put away $50/month in parking, you have to pay just about everywhere you will want to go when you first move here. Make sure when you find your job they provide parking or there is a cheap lot close by. I don't understand how ppl making $10/hour @ starbucks can afford $20/day in parking.

Electricity - will be significantly cheaper than ATL (mine is about $30/month with central AC in mid-city)

Gas - $10-$20/month if you have a heater/stove

Trash - depends if your building pays for that

Groceries/clothing/insurance/internet will be slightly more expensive than Atlanta but nothing crazy. Entertainment and eating out can be more expensive but it doesn't have to be. We found we generally spend 45-60/dinner rather than 20-35 like we did in Houston. That's totally dependent on where you go out though.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:37 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,754,463 times
The more money saved the merrier, but I moved a household of 5 people in and out LA, not having each time more than 10K in savings (that includes moving furniture enough for 2-3BR, and giving security deposit & first month rent for the rental - we usually end up renting 3BR, and enough money to last until first paycheck, in my case - I always get a job before the move). Would I be single, I could move to LA with next to nothing (cost of gas), and 4K could last me 2 months for sure.

Find someone to stay with (roommate, or a buddy of yours, or a hostel, or a campground), get a job asap. Move into the cheapest rental place and upgrade your situation as needed. Having a job is the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles