U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 PM

215 posts, read 434,386 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in the Los Feliz area of LA. I do really enjoy this area, but I am month to month and looking to try something new. I kind of feel like I am in a suburb with a quaint little walkable downtown. I want to move somewhere with a little bit more going on, a little more urban is all I want.

I work near Glendale in the Glassel Park area and I don't want my commute longer than 45 minutes on average. I can get to work in 10 minutes or less from where I am at right now using the neighborhood surface streets through Silver Lake. I make 80k a year before taxes and I don't mind having a roommate. I really enjoy the west side but I know from some neighborhoods the commute would be out of my parameters. I have semi-flexible work hours so I can leave between 7-9:30am for work in the morning. I would like somewhere pretty safe and nice looking, but it doesn't have to be Bel-Air quality.

Which neighborhoods should I check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,021,923 times
Downtown, Pasadena, or Studio City.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,682,322 times
More urban than Los Feliz on the westside (forgetting about commute for a moment): Santa Monica, Westwood, and that is all that comes to mind. Would say Venice but too scruffy based on your criteria above.

One other option is Miracle Mile area (La Brea/Wilshire Blvd)....relatively dense with character and not too far from your present job. Nice clusters of historic multifamily buildings just north of Wilshire Blvd (between La Brea and Fairfax).

Agree with JG72: If you lived in or around Old Town Pasadena you'd have an urban feel and be very close to work. Granted Pasadena might be too "small town" for what you are currently looking for.

Last edited by SalParadise; 05-30-2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 PM

33 posts, read 95,847 times
Hmm... I second downtown LA. for what you might be looking for. If you haven't already, try looking into Little Tokyo or the Spring st. neighborhood areas of downtown. These sections have a very urban feel, a good community growing, nice modern living choices, nightlife, great bars & restaurants, local markets, and an overall young vibe. It might be too industrial for some folks but, there is also the Arts District that has great things to offer & amenities to suit different tastes. This would be an easy & beautiful drive for you heading to Glendale/Glassell as you can cut through Elysian Park & go opposite traffic. The other plus is you can always access West LA & the beach areas more quickly for more urban fixes during non-rush hours since you lean towards those neighborhoods. On the opposite end, West Hollywood & the Melrose district have established vibes that have a lot of activity as well as nice housing stocks. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you for the advice, I will be checking out Miracle Mile and spending some more time downtown.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:05 PM

7,824 posts, read 3,796,431 times
Atwater Villiage.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Atwater Village is too close to where I currently am in Los Feliz. I do spend a lot of time there right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles