U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,082,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Are kids today worse then the ones say 10, 20, 30 or 40 yrs ago ?
ABSOLUTELY!!

I have been in my current school for 9 years and have seen a significant change just in that time. There are few boundaries to student conduct now.
In the past there were disruptive students. However, in 99% of the cases, you could reason with them. Kids will be kids, that's a given. But as children, they used to acknowledge that adults set the boundaries. Now, with all the negative press against schools and teachers, the ridiculous amount of positive press for "gangstah" behavior, and the ludicrous amount of poor parenting, it has become a little bit of the Wild West.
Administrators don't want to acknowledge bad behavior because it makes them unpopular with parents and it makes their "numbers" look bad. Children pick up on this very quickly and test the boundaries. This leaves teachers and security guards to clean up the mess with no support.
Then, when they do their jobs, everyone attacks them for taking responsibility.
The fact is that the majority of kids in many schools are very well behaved. It is a usually a small percentage that cause most of the problems you read about. In an effort to make schools safe for that quiet majority, the hard cases require the most attention and that is what makes the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM

7,574 posts, read 3,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Why? I think that school is about learning and children are there to learn not only basics, but also how to behave in the real world. Cussing, tardiness, and graffiti are not acceptable at work, why should they be in school?

I do not allow children in my world to swear. I have no issues with a school district that has the same expectations.

Texas Schools Have Police Arresting Kids - YouTube

Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,585 times
I really don't care if kids swear but my job is tonteach them when and where they can do it. Policing language is an eternal distraction that school officials and adminitrators seem far too preoccupied with.mit also seems rather pointless unless you understand the true motives for it. In LA our schools are run by white chalk criminals whose unchecked antics have cost the community dearly. Generations of students are doomed to repeat th same dysfunctional nightmare that becomes a burden to tax payers and has now become an assault on teachers as the EducRAT$ shift blame to beleaguered teachers.
Students are crammed into classrooms where teacher manage them and do test drills. They don't learn and teachers often do not teach. Let me be clear: thisbis not students nor teachers' fault. It isvthe fault of the schools' leadersio, our local and federal government and the people . The people have failed to Carpe Deium and ot is probably because mst have no clue about the power they have to change things.
Kids cuss. I cuss. You cuss. We should cuss when we have schools that make organized criminals rich and powerful instead of empowering students and the community. Just because theyre dressed in nice suits and appear to be successful professionals doesn't mean they are not criminals who use sanitized language to hide their nefarious antics .
Are kids worse? I say we are lucky because the discord and tension on campus is so great it is a miracle school shootings, riots and other acts of violence din't occur more often. Please don't assume this is the armed campus cops's doing
It is not.nthese LAPD rejects create chaos and are so busy meeting their quota for unfair citations , they rarelyndo juch that is proactive unless you consider conditioning kids to be criminals is a good way to address social justice.
Students may not graduate where they are supposed to be or do well on the state's standardized testingbscams, but those who make it through have, in many ways ,naccomplished more than we realize.i admire my students a great deal. Some of my colleagues also command my respect for all they are willing to sacrafice and endur in the name of greater good. I can even name a half dozen administartors I admire. Other than that i am appalled by the corruption and incomprtence of school officials, our mayor, and the feds who let these people get away with crimes Tony Soprano woukd be appaled by ( see Belmont HS Full Disclosure if you have any doubts) . We the people have to rise up and take our schools back or we can't complain when our children become welfare moms,criminals, drug addicts and bullies. Ifbyou are interested in a real grass roots movement for local reform visit Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more and Hemlock on the Rocks:

Old 06-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Angry Are the citations ethical?

The citations are very very expensive. Many are issued for truancy to studebts who are tardy as they arrive for school aftervthe bell rings. Let's face it. Catching actual truants is hard work. So the cops shoot fist in a barrel and ultimately create more truants because kids whomare late will ditch to avoid the fines. These fines by the way are way too much for poor parents to pay. They also miss work to be at court hearings. That's if the kids tell them they are in trouble . Some don't and after a few fines,mmissed court dates and a warrent, a great kid can end up in the system-- incarcerated! Once a child is in, it is very hard to liberate him. Kep this in mind as well as the revenue that drives the gears of the machine. Let's prosecute adult criminals in designer suits who run our schools and our city into the ground with their greed and corruption instead.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 AM

10,001 posts, read 13,828,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Only crazy civil rights leftists and wacko libertarians would think that issuing citations in a controlled academic environment is tantamount to a "police state." Honestly, if parents are that outraged they should pull their kids out and homeschool them or send them to private school. I remember back when i was in elementary school in the 80's it was still common to find old-school teachers who would yell, berate & embarrass slacking & disruptive kids, and even shake & grab their heads & scream straight into their faces until they got the message. One kid called my 4th gr teacher a N**-word B*ch and she took the vase on her desk & threw it against the blackboard, shattering it in a million pieces & issued a stern warning to anyone who thought they could use that kind of language in class.
I had one of those teachers in high school, for math.

I wasn't a disruptive student, I just sucked at mathematics. Because of this, I became her target for shouting, screaming, embarassment, etc. I warned her to stop. My parents warned her to stop. The principal warned her to stop. She didn't. She reached into my backpack, pulled out some of my artwork, tore it up, and so I hit her across the face with my mathbook.

She took an early retirement

Aaaaaanyways...

We live in a society where when the going gets tough, one of the first things that people are willing to cut from public coffers is education. This is indicative of a much greater and pervasive social problem: a very large portion of America is anti-education. An even larger portion of America believes that an education is absolutely unimportant. And yet even more people still believe that while an education may be important, that it is not their nor anyone else's obligation to contribute towards every kid getting an education.

Add to this the completely and totally archaic and wrong methods of standardization, where every kid needs to know the exact same stuff at the exact same time as everyone else around them. Bullcrap. I was 15 and couldn't wrap my head around calculus: I'm obviously not going to be a god-damned scientist. However, I was a brilliant artist, excellent writer, won competitions in both of those sectors; hell, I took my English classes off-campus... at Harvard. I took my art classes off-campus, too... at the Art Institute of Boston. Super-high test scores in absolutely everything, except math. My math scores were so low that even though I raised my school's testing averages all around, I was at risk of being held back freshman and sophomore years.

I feel for the kids who are being forced to fail at things they have no natural aptitude for, and who are basically being told that they'll never amount to anything when they get a report card full of D's, F's, and incompletes, because they were shoved into classes they shouldn't have been in. The school system should be doing what it can to foster kids' individual talents, rather than forcing them all to be worker drones in industries that have been shipped overseas in the first place.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 06-02-2012 at 06:57 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 PM

15,085 posts, read 18,047,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Im not the least bit surprised. LAUSD is the worse school district in the nation but thats alot of citations. The cussing citations are abit over the top.
LAUSD Police State? School Cops Reportedly Issue About 30 Citations to Kids Each Day - Los Angeles News - The Informer
That doesn't seem like a lot considering how large the LAUSD is.

[larger population of students, larger number of citations]

Old 06-03-2012, 04:18 AM

237 posts, read 595,516 times
Kids have NO RIGHTS, except the expectation not to be abused or neglected. Yes, it is a police state for them, and the cops are the parents, then the rest of society. Like Judge Judy once said to a minor who created big problems by doing what his mother told him NOT to do. Referring to the boy's mother, the judge said, "She owns the air you breathe." And that is truth, and the "over the top" comment from the OP is exactly what is wrong with the adults who set the example for the kids.

The worst part about things like this is we tell the kids all the junk about how it doesn't matter how they look or dress or what they say or how many tattoos they have or that they smoke weed because "everybody is doing it," and then those poor kids are kicked into the real world where all the things they were told don't matter, in fact, MATTER more than they ever realize. All thanks to the dopey parents and "advocates". Bad behavior and interaction with law enforcement is in their futures, along with not being able to cope working for "the man." What a crime commuted on these poor young people, to have been lied to and suffering the consequences because of it. They should sue their parents, et al. for damages and emotional stress.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,082,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerry View Post
Kids have NO RIGHTS, except the expectation not to be abused or neglected. Yes, it is a police state for them, and the cops are the parents, then the rest of society. Like Judge Judy once said to a minor who created big problems by doing what his mother told him NOT to do. Referring to the boy's mother, the judge said, "She owns the air you breathe." And that is truth, and the "over the top" comment from the OP is exactly what is wrong with the adults who set the example for the kids.

The worst part about things like this is we tell the kids all the junk about how it doesn't matter how they look or dress or what they say or how many tattoos they have or that they smoke weed because "everybody is doing it," and then those poor kids are kicked into the real world where all the things they were told don't matter, in fact, MATTER more than they ever realize. All thanks to the dopey parents and "advocates". Bad behavior and interaction with law enforcement is in their futures, along with not being able to cope working for "the man." What a crime commuted on these poor young people, to have been lied to and suffering the consequences because of it. They should sue their parents, et al. for damages and emotional stress.
So true, yet sadly these misguided adults think they are "helping" the children.
Many have forgotten that school is actually boot camp for life. Instead of coddling children and making them feel invincible they should be taught responsibility and self control.
But then, they may not be your "friend", and if you are one of those weak willed insecure parents who are a product of the neurotic 80's and 90's you would be devastated.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 AM

Iinstead of policing kids and financially crippling their parents with crazy tickets , we need to focus on the real reason LAUSD cannot adequately engage and educate inner city children. Yes, they have disadvantages but many are that much better because of the hardships. these are bright kids who know their promise is being negated by the oppressive impulses of obscenely rich swindlers like Eli Broad who bilked the district out of a great many fortunes by selling the Beaudry building at an exageratted cost, building opulent show boat schools for many times the cost they should have been, but they should not be when all this money could have made every school safe, clean and fresh fir ALLL THE kids no matter where . Broad had installed his protege , a grifter named John Deasy who has the makings of a post modern Dickens villain. They're both shameless grifters in a district full of lowlife white chalk criminals who fire and lay of teachers , overcrowd our schools and squander tax payers money on more suits for the minions. LAUSD. Administrative staff has expanded 25% in the last decade according to the Daily News. These people all earn six figures . An average salary is 139k for a suit and teachers are lucky to see $60k after a decade of service.
There is a lot of riff raff in the classroom, but in a corrupt crony world , they are insulate and act with impunity. With two years experience in classroom , there are many administrators who don't even know how to teach much less cope with a gang riff in Watts.
These kids understand that all semblance of order is a sham bless their hearts, most will defend a teacher who is earnest and resist the temptation to exploit the ongoing witch hunts. Moderator cut: link removed As one poster noted kids are watching what we model, they see that teachers are suspect. This will damage them profoundly as for many students the campus is a sanctuary. It is becoming more like a prison for them and their teachers. The kids are only really disciplined for truancy , which costs the district money and that is all the district cares about so it is the ultimate rebellion to play hooky.
I realize the sick system is facillitated by our so called union. We are better off without it. So is everyone else except the 185k officers and, believe it or not, LAUSD.
Don't let the public acromony fool you. these two are thick as theives. And that much makes sense because they steal tax payer's money, rob teachers of dignity and human rights and comandeer many many futures. We cam only blame ourselves if we continue to tolerate it . The kids will.

Last edited by Count David; 07-04-2012 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: new members cannot post links/edited for clarity

Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM

6,663 posts, read 27,024,412 times
I was cited a few times as a child back in the 60's and 70's. I gave the cops my neighbors name each time. As a child no ID is required or even posible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles