Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:58 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times

Advertisements

I really like the plastic bags I get from stores in Los Angeles. I line my trash cans with them, so that when the can is full, I simply take out the bag and dispose of it in an outside trash bin. However, with the proposed ban, I'll just end up having to purchase plastic bags rather than use the ones provided with my purchases.

You'd think with crumbling roads, crumbling sidewalks, gridlock, the LAUSD, and all the rest of our blight, they'd have more productive things to do in the L.A. City Council than worry about plastic bags...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,488 times
I think plastic bags are should be banned. Because that are not good for the environment.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
I think banning them is a great thing! Sorry you won't be able to line your garbage cans with them for free now...

Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 AM

17 posts, read 23,886 times
I am definitely going to miss being able to reuse them as trash can liners and whatnot, but the good thing is that there are still places where they are not banned.

It's just something that we're going to have to learn to get used to.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Caving into these stupid yet popular ideas gets them re-elected, and keeps them on the fat payroll. They will continue to siphon money away from sidewalk & street repair, to earmark for plastic bag committees and perhaps an extravagant plastic bag seminar in Las Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstream View Post
It's just something that we're going to have to learn to get used to.
When are people going to say "enough is enough", though? How many things can be banned before we speak up instead of cower.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Caving into these stupid yet popular ideas gets them re-elected, and keeps them on the fat payroll. They will continue to siphon money away from sidewalk & street repair, to earmark for plastic bag committees and perhaps an extravagant plastic bag seminar in Las Vegas.

When are people going to say "enough is enough", though? How many things can be banned before we speak up instead of cower.
you have to pick and choose your battles. say it costs you an extra $1 when you go grocery shopping because you need 10 bags since you didn't bring your own, is that really going to negatively effect you? I'll save my energy for things like LADWP rate hikes right after hearing about across the board raises.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
I just typed up a very nice and thought out reply, which didn't post for some reason.

So here is the basics - I hate these bans and no longer shop in Santa Monica for this reason. Paper bags are not a true replacement, and plastic bags are neither 'single use' nor bad for the environment, as they are 100% recyclable.

I don't litter plastic bags, and neither do my neighbors. I will not argue that these bags find their ways into our oceans, but they get there by homeless (transient? whats the PC term these days?) littering them in our alleys. I see this happen daily, so there is little debate there. I reuse every plastic bag i get, either as trash can liners or to handle our dogs' business. These tasks have been replaced by purpose built bags, which will find their ways into landfills anyway.

Paper bags are also bag for the environment, just on the production side, not post consumer side. We have created an artificial demand for paper.

I will close with this - in all reality, as BR mentioned above - this issue is not the end of the world, and can be combated by shopping elsewhere, using reusable bags or paying $.10 for each paper bag. My bigger concern is the war on disposable items in general. It will be a real fun fight when they try to take away plastic Arrowhead bottles or make me bring my own Tupperware when I get takeout - on the same premise

Old 04-05-2012, 12:50 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I think banning them is a great thing! Sorry you won't be able to line your garbage cans with them for free now...
These types of short sighted comments are the same way these laws get passed.

It has nothing to do with the financial aspect of 'lining your garbage cans for free' ....

My trash cans will be lined with or without the help of free plastic bags. You have replaced something REUSABLE with something that truly has a 'single use'. The whole point of these laws is pushing things that are reusable. Well - 'single use plastic bags' ARE reusable. The bags i buy to handle my dogs' **** and line my small garbage cans are NOT reusable, as i bought them new to handle these chores.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 PM

890 posts, read 2,784,885 times
You know one of the best re-use for those plastic bags is making it a plastic tank-top?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
I really like the plastic bags I get from stores in Los Angeles. I line my trash cans with them, so that when the can is full, I simply take out the bag and dispose of it in an outside trash bin. However, with the proposed ban, I'll just end up having to purchase plastic bags rather than use the ones provided with my purchases.

You'd think with crumbling roads, crumbling sidewalks, gridlock, the LAUSD, and all the rest of our blight, they'd have more productive things to do in the L.A. City Council than worry about plastic bags...
LA City is actually taking it a step further. Some cities allow you to pay 10 cents for a plastic bag. This is going to be a full on ban, but it will be done in phases.

Check it out: L.A. Moves Ahead on Aggressive Plastic and Paper Bag Ban: LAist

"The ban would find single-use plastic bags at retail locations banned for an initial six-month period, then for the following six months a 10-cent surcharge would be placed on paper bags, and, following that period, single-use paper and plastic bags would be banned outright in the city of Los Angeles."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles