Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 AM

4 posts, read 47,389 times

Advertisements

We were planning to move to Riverside, CA, but we kind of want to live in a city that is closer to LA County, especially closer to the San Gabriel, Rosemead, and Monterey Park area (we like to shop in the Asian super markets).
Diamond Bar is ideal since it is kind of in the middle (about 30 minutes to Riverside (UC Riverside) and 30 or fewer minutes to San Gabriel), has good schools, and is pretty safe, but the city does not have many apartments to choose from. Commuting is not a problem for us, except going to UC Riverside. Pomona is in the middle as well, but it is not that safe.

An ideal place for us would be (from most important to least important):

1. The city is safe and has few sex offenders
2. If the city is between Riverside and the San Gabriel area. It can be closer to Riverside since it is more important to be closer to UC Riverside and it has some apartments
3. The high schools are decent (doesn't have to be exrtremely good). No ghetto school please

If there isn't a city that meets the descriptions above, then we can perhaps consider other cities that are close to Riverside. Good and safe cities with decent schools. We were considering Woodcrest, but we visited there and thought that there is not much racial diversity (or maybe we didn't see it) and it is kind of hot, like Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchanged View Post
We were considering Woodcrest, but we visited there and thought that there is not much racial diversity (or maybe we didn't see it) and it is kind of hot, like Arizona.
When it's hot, they're all hot. All you can do is look for a neighborhood with big trees - and an apartment with air conditioning.

How about Walnut? There are probably good Asian stores there, too. Low crime rate, low "sex-offender" rate, much closer to Fullerton than San Gabriel. The schools are supposed to be good. I don't know about apartments.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,347 times
Monterey Park or Alhambra is relatively affordable and are safe areas to live. I wouldn't worry about the drive to Asian supermarkets/restaurants because they're all over the place. Monterey Park just opened a square that serves dim sum, has a 24 hour fitness gym, japanese food, thai food, chinese food, and other stores. I know from the experience of living there last year, and the city has been safe in my experience. The only place I've had a bad experience with is San Gabriel because a lot of my friends, and myself included, have experienced being followed after parking, and we've called the police but they don't do anything. The police in San Gabriel just give out a lot of tickets for minor things, and are in my experience very racist towards Asians and Hispanics so I don't think it's worth living in the city. Alhambra I don't know that much about, but my friends from college have lived there, and they definitely have a lot of good restaurants as well, and it's more quiet I would say.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Claremont and La Verne are good areas. You would be reasonably close to Walnut & Diamond Bar, which has a lot of Asian businesses.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 AM

17 posts, read 27,853 times
Walnut, Covina, Glendora, La Verne, San Dimas, etc are all excellent cities by the criteria you've mentioned. We lived in DBar for 5 years, and left after the road opened to Chino Hills - which greatly impacted traffic in our previous sleepy town.

Temple City and Arcadia are both good choices as well, though TC is land locked from any EZ freeway access.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Arcadia is a bit too close to San Gabriel et al. for OP's criteria, I think.

Diamond Bar is okay if OP likes Asian businesses--Rowland Heights has many, more more Asian businesses on Colima Rd, but Rowland Heights is not quite as safe as Diamond Bar. Of course, OP can live in DB and drive a few miles to shop in RH.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 AM

33 posts, read 66,594 times
Walnut, diamond bar, walnut did I mention walnut...stay out of parts of rowland heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles