U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 PM

229 posts, read 521,337 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm considering moving to the los angeles area from the dc area and would like to know which suburbs i should consider. Assuming that my job will be located in downtown la, where can i find a 1500+ sq ft non-condo home (townhome is ok) within a 45 min drive one way for under 500k? i've visited several times and i liked glendale and pasadena, but don't know any areas other than these. i would prefer a very safe area with good schools (don't have to be the best).

how are cities like norwalk, la mirada and rosemead? i'm just throwing these out based on the proximity to la and basic info i can find online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,998,622 times
Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank all fit what you need. I'd just settle on one of those.

Norwalk and Rosemead are a little rougher and lower income than the above... not exactly what you'd think of safe suburbia. Also not as close to Downtown LA.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 PM

4,267 posts, read 9,027,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
Hello. I'm considering moving to the los angeles area from the dc area and would like to know which suburbs i should consider. Assuming that my job will be located in downtown la, where can i find a 1500+ sq ft non-condo home (townhome is ok) within a 45 min drive one way for under 500k? i've visited several times and i liked glendale and pasadena, but don't know any areas other than these. i would prefer a very safe area with good schools (don't have to be the best).

how are cities like norwalk, la mirada and rosemead? i'm just throwing these out based on the proximity to la and basic info i can find online.
1.) You picked one of the worst times ever to look for a home in LA County. The available inventory is weakest I've ever seen. In the past I've recommended people rent because its cheaper than owning. At the moment I've changed my tune. Prices in MANY areas of LA County are at, near, or even below rental parity. That is of course, if you can even find a house you like.

2.) That being said, Norwalk isn't so great. I grew up in Rosemead and I now have issues with the southern part of Rosemead in terms of safety. The rest of Rosemead is actually nicer than when I grew up there in the 80's and 90's, and Rosemead High performs better than I ever remember. Still, its not what I'd call ideal. La Mirada is a pretty decent place with decent schools. But if you are commuting at rush hour(any time after 630am), its gonna take more than 45 minutes at rush hour. If you can adjust hours earlier, you would be find.

3.) The places you will want to look at: Temple City, San Gabriel, Alhambra in the SGV. All asian majority cities, all safe, all very good schools. 45 minutes or less depending on which one you choose. North of Downtown, Burbank really seems like the best option. One place where you can most certainly find SFR in your price range is Lakewood. Decent schools, again a safe neighborhood. But the issue with Lakewood is commute. It about an hour to downtown during rush hour. If you can start at 0630 am, its the place I'd look at closely.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,558,421 times
sherman oaks and encino both have nice homes in the $500k range, both of which have high performing elementary schools. middle schools are hit or miss at best and high schools are poor in these areas, but local elementary schools can be quite good. the commute to downtown would be tough and probably more than 45 minutes most days, but there are express buses that will get you downtown without you needing to drive yourself. there's also a subway from the studio city/universal city area that will get you downtown in 20 minutes. encino and sherman oaks are also closer to the westside, in case you end up working there.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 PM

8,513 posts, read 5,217,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post

In my opinion the best area is Baldwin Hills. It is safe, prestigious and centrally located...

Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,502,462 times
Thousand Oaks is less than 40 miles from downtown Los Angeles, and would also be ideal in that it is closer to the Pacific, just north of Malibu.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM

491 posts, read 2,092,941 times
Thousand Oaks is in Ventura County and would be an absolute hellish commute.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 AM

93 posts, read 139,770 times
Eagle Rock is a nice community
right in between Glendale & Pasadena and just a few miles nort of downtown LA
is a pretty nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles