U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 AM

7,727 posts, read 3,766,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
How? The two are hardly comparable. Have you visited both Downtown LA and NYC/Manhattan?
Just the way the buildings look on broadway and spring street. It's a huge difference from the rest of L.A. No, I only passed by NYC. Never been in it. But from pictures, it looks like SoHo. The architecture makes it look like a small strip of NYC.

I realy wish they continued this trend for L.A.

Screw the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 PM

93 posts, read 244,405 times
Congratulations on your move to LA. My husband and I live downtown, and we love it.

The SB lofts cater to a younger crowd. They're pretty nice though--many have 2 baths and washer & dryer in the loft, and they all have nice rooftop amenities. But, they're full of somewhat rowdy 20-somethings, so it depends on the vibe you're after.

There's another cluster of buildings around 4th & Main, known as the Old Bank District lofts (The San Fernando, Helmand and Continental Bldgs). Those buildings are nice, but were remodeled a few years earlier than the SB lofts, and they don't have some of the amenities (no pool or gym, laundry on each floor but not in the loft, only 1 bathroom). But it's more of a mixed crowd living there--some 20-somethings, but a lot more people in their 30's and 40's and beyond--and the buildings are quiet. That's where we live, and we like it.

You can definitely find a large (1000-1400 sq ft) unit in the OBD in your price range. Most are set up as 1br's, but can be used as 2br's. (That's what we do.) SB lofts have some proper 2br/2ba units, and I'm sure other buildings do too.

Another good place to look is the Santa Fe Building at the corner of 6th/Main. They're like the OBD lofts--not as many amenities, but a nice settled crowd lives there. Across the street from the Santa Fe are the PE Lofts. They have probably the best rooftop pool in the neighborhood, but the units are done with really cheap looking fixtures, and the residents trend young.

There's a recently remodeled building at 5th & Broadway--The Metropolitain. I haven't been inside that one, but it seems nice and the location is good--right across the street from the Pershing Square Metro. Definitely worth a look. There's the Haas Building on 8th St--it's really more like an apartment building than a true loft building though. Another new place is the Arcade bldg on Spring Street--haven't been inside, but it's in a good location.

So, those are places where there would be LOTS of activity on the streets around you, tons of restaurants, bars, shopping, galleries, etc, and easy access to the Metro. Moving a bit farther south, there's the Chapman Lofts--super nice, but a bit more expensive and just a few blocks from the center of the action. And the Santee Lofts are also nice, pretty affordable, with great rooftop amenities, but also a bit off the beaten path.

Little Tokyo is nice, but doesn't have the same energy as downtown. I wouldn't want to live there, but definitely enjoy being able to walk over for restaurants, shopping etc. The Little Tokyo Lofts are skid row-adjacent, so it's a little bit less safe there at night--not as much activity on the streets. But, we have friends who like living there.

Then there's the Arts District which has a lot of great buildings, but that's really a different neighborhood. It's more industrial, and doesn't have as much going on in terms of restaurants and things. But, its also quieter.

Over on the other side of downtown, near LA Live, there are some loft buildings as well. (The South Park Lofts are there). But, that's a totally different neighborhood, really. It's more Times Square over there with the Staples Center, etc.

You really just have to come out and see these places for yourself. I recommend seeing everything on foot--walk around the neighborhood to get a feel for its different areas--each block really is different from the next. Most places you view are available for an immediate move in, so that makes it easy.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 AM

20 posts, read 39,902 times
my goodness, cmcgill, THANK YOU!!! Sounds like we have lots of exploring to do, and I'm excited to do it. I have heard of a lot of those buildings that you are mentioning. Just out of curiousity - how did you turn your 1 br into a 2 br? did you put up a wall? About the Arts District - would you say it's a safe area to walk around at nighttime?

That's very interesting about little tokyo. i didn't realize that about skid row....even though we are coming from another large city, it would be nice to live somewhere that's safe (or at least has a better feeling of safety). Also very good to know about South Park - sounds like that's not really the best idea!

As far as downtown LA being like Manhattan - I haven't spent a ton of time in DTLA (I was just there a month ago, and loved it), but to me, one of the things that makes NYC so exciting and ever-changing is how neighborhoods turn over there. It's actually something I've always found really interesting and cool about New York - the revitalization of neighborhoods, and the kinds of people who you meet in areas like that, before they become crazy expensive and gentrified. Lots of young artistic, creative types starting new businesses and building communities. There is a sad, sad, dark side to "gentrification" - when neighborhoods lose their personality/longtime residents in favor of starbucks, overpriced luxury buildings, and Victoria's Secrets - but neighborhoods like SoHo, Williamsburg, Alphabet City, etc all went through what seems like the same revitalization that DTLA is going through now. In that sense, I can definitely see the comparison to NY. Not like I know anything, just my thoughts. I don't want LA to be like NY, it is a wonderful city the way it is, but it's exciting that the downtown area is changing in such a vibrant way.

Hollywood is fun to visit, but I don't have a huge desire to live there. When I was there a few months ago, I felt more in danger walking a few blocks home out there than I did when I was downtown. But aside from that, it just seems very congested and more suburban to me. I do love the Silverlake/Echo Park/Los Feliz/Eagle Rock neighborhoods, though. It's just hard to find as nice a place in our price range out there.

Sorry for rambling! Thanks again SO MUCH for all of your help!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 PM

93 posts, read 244,405 times
We didn't put up a wall (although, I think we're allowed). Our unit has one huge open space, and a second smaller room that doesn't have a door, but is visually separated by being around a corner. We use the huge open space as kitchen/dining/living/bedroom, and just separate the different spaces with furniture placement. We could've used a room divider/Japanese screen for more privacy, but we like to keep it open. We use the smaller room (which is really supposed to be the bedroom) as an office/guest room. It works for us.

The Arts District is safe. It's just that there's not nearly as much foot traffic as in Downtown proper. There's not as much life on the streets, in part because there aren't as many shops, restaurants, bars, galleries, etc. to generate the foot traffic. There are a few places to eat, but that's about it. So it's quieter, and safe, but more industrial with less commercial activity. You'd definitely want a car or a bike to live over there. Whereas, it's quite easy to live Downtown without a car or bike--so much is within a few blocks walking, and there are tons of public transportation options to all parts of the city.

Coming from the East Coast, Hollywood (and most other parts of LA) seem very suburban. But, as you say, SilverLake/Echo Park/Los Feliz have some beautiful homes in great little hillside neighborhoods, and they also have small stretches with shops and things, so you can walk to do things. I think you'll get more space for your money downtown, but I could be wrong. On the other hand, you'll loose out on green space downtown. There are a few small parks, and some buildings have rooftop amenities and/or private balconies. But, it's not the same has having a backyard. (We don't have a balcony or roof amenities, and it's one thing we regret. The weather is so amazing in LA, you should really try for at least some small place where you can sit and have a coffee or a glass of wine outside. Of course, there are numerous bars and restaurants with patios, but it's not the same as having your own little place.)

Good luck with the move! I think you'll love LA!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 AM

22 posts, read 49,673 times
Do any of you know why DTLA lofts are as expensive as they are? I know many of them are recently renovated and considered "luxury style living," but it seems odd to me that place like DTLA which still sounds controversial could meet those prices.

It seems like you can get a place in Hollywood, K-town, Los Feliz and other similar walkable and urban lifestyles for much less. What makes DTLA so much different that they can charge 300-400 more?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:27 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,015,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicklas14 View Post
Do any of you know why DTLA lofts are as expensive as they are? I know many of them are recently renovated and considered "luxury style living," but it seems odd to me that place like DTLA which still sounds controversial could meet those prices.
Honestly at this point, those thinking Downtown is still dangerous are just retarded. They are presented evidence to the contrary, but still hold onto their past beliefs. Downtown isn't dangerous/controversial/whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicklas14 View Post
It seems like you can get a place in Hollywood, K-town, Los Feliz and other similar walkable and urban lifestyles for much less. What makes DTLA so much different that they can charge 300-400 more?
Theres nothing in the LA metro area like Downtown. It comes down to supply and demand and right now, most buildings in Downtown have a very low vacancy rate. Prices have dropped a great deal since around 2007....the rent on my unit is a good $300-400/mo less than it was in 2007. People want to live near work, theres also a TON of USC and FIDM students, and Downtown continues to impove.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 229 times
Hey there!
I'm a photographer and also looking for a great space that I can use as a photo studio! And I've looked at many buildings around the Spring street area in a budget of 2000-2200$. So far The Santee Court buildings I liked the best! And what's very important is that the parking is included to the price!!! Yes it's across the street and not in the building but at least you know you have one! Lol
The rooftop view is amazing and those huge windows probably got me the most!))) The lease personal is very friendly and helpful too. I'm considering moving there. Loved the Toy factory though but didn't find anything lower than 3K out there(((
I'm also new in LA DTLA and moving from Arizona.. so lots of things to explore!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,514,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPhotographer View Post
Hey there!
I'm a photographer and also looking for a great space that I can use as a photo studio! And I've looked at many buildings around the Spring street area in a budget of 2000-2200$. So far The Santee Court buildings I liked the best! And what's very important is that the parking is included to the price!!! Yes it's across the street and not in the building but at least you know you have one! Lol
The rooftop view is amazing and those huge windows probably got me the most!))) The lease personal is very friendly and helpful too. I'm considering moving there. Loved the Toy factory though but didn't find anything lower than 3K out there(((
I'm also new in LA DTLA and moving from Arizona.. so lots of things to explore!
I live downtown and know a handful of people that live in Santee Court. They all enjoy it. Very vibrant, interesting building with cool common spaces.

See if you can get a unit with an in-building spot otherwise you're walking a block or so to your car...and if I understand correctly, that surface lot is leased so it could disappear at any time. Parking in the area is ~$125-250/mo depending where and what kind.

Good luck! Living/working Downtown is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles