Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 PM

14 posts, read 54,431 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

First of all, the information I've found on here has been very helpful as we plan our upcoming move.
We're moving from Chicago to LA this summer. My husband will be working at Children's LA and I'll be at Cedars.

We had considered living somewhere in the middle, but are leaning towards living closer to Cedars so that I can walk to work. I figure it would be doable if I live a few blocks away.

However, is it doable if I live a little further away? I was looking at places online between 3rd and Wilshire (on either side of San Vicente). I'll probably have some shifts that end late at night--would this area still be walkable or not so much?

We're looking for 2BR apts and our budget is <$2400. I'd love it if we could remain a 1 car household for a little longer.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,110,685 times
you should definitely be able to find a 2br in that price range. my brother and his wife lived near cedars in a 2br apartment for $1600. it may not be likely, but you may be able to even find a small house for $2400. and even if you're not walking distance to cedars, there's a rapid bus route along beverly blvd that may be an option.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:24 PM

14 posts, read 54,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
you should definitely be able to find a 2br in that price range. my brother and his wife lived near cedars in a 2br apartment for $1600. it may not be likely, but you may be able to even find a small house for $2400. and even if you're not walking distance to cedars, there's a rapid bus route along beverly blvd that may be an option.

Thanks
Online, it def does look like there are alot of places for rent near the hospital. If we were living a couple blocks (or maybe a mile) south of the hospital, is that a safe walk in the evenings?

And from there, how long can we expect my husband's commute to be to Children's? I've heard that going east during traffic hours is often easier.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,110,685 times
south of cedars along la cienega blvd is city of beverly hills almost all the way down to pico blvd, which is miles away. having said that, safety shouldn't be an issue, but this is a big city and the area around the mall/hospital is crowded and attracts a diverse crowd.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:44 AM

237 posts, read 666,748 times
Depending on your husband's hours, he may be able to use the Metro Red line station at Sunset/Vermont across the street from Children's LA. This would allow you to use a car to commute to Cedar's since your hours will be such that you are MUCH better off in car than walking even a few blocks in even the best neighborhood as RARE, but have happened crimes throughout the entire LA region, occurred with someone doing exactly what you plan to do to walk at hours, especially a woman alone, just "a few blocks from her home." DON'T DO IT.

You may want to find a location where he can use Metro rail and you can have doable commute to Cedar's. West 6th Street is my favorite east-west between downtown and Cedar's, along with West 3rd west of Western Ave., and during your late hour, it will be more than a breeze.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 AM

35 posts, read 95,973 times
Don't walk a night in the Cedars area! It is not a safe area after dark, it is not southside of chi town bad, but still not safe. Check out park La Brea, as a place to rent, it is sort of a gated community about 3 miles from Cedars.

You will need two cars. The rule of thumb in LA is a car for every working adult. Even if you lived at the hospital, you'll still need to get grocerys, and run errands when your husband has the car.

Think of it this way, would you live in the west suburbs of Chicago without a car? Budget to have two cars, you will thank me a thousand times over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles