Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
That is important context. Like you said, it's over the top, but this being done in a roast in entirely different than if it were done in some other setting. Or maybe I've just watched too many Comedy Central Roasts. There is nothing off limits and nothing over the top in them. Brutal.
There are defiantly things that are off limits in any setting including a roast. Racism is one of them. Making that type of joke is crossing the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Once again, a minority does something wrong, you never hear the end of it.

A white person does something wrong, and "it's only a joke get over it" and you never hear about it ever again.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNPLAYBOY310 View Post
Shabazz, I agree except it seems in this case that the event in question is a "roast" which is meant to be non-PC, very in your face insulting but funny. I actually don't like these things because often the humor cuts too deep on a personal level but that's why I wouldn't be involved in one. If he volunteered to be part of a roast then he should have known that these things are no-holds barred.
Brownplayboy310, I’m going to have to agree to disagree with you. Even during a roast there are certain things that are “off limits”, racism being one of them. How would it look if a handy capped person volunteered to participate in a roast out of fun and disability jokes were hurled at he or she? Same thing regarding a homosexual. That would be crossing a line. With that said I am not a fan of roast and would not participate in one nor do I feel a work environment is appropriate for such antics.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Hazing/good-natured non-PC humor occurs at all levels whether one is a 10yo kid or a >$1MM/yr surgeon/lawyer/trader/engineer, etc...whether whitey/Jewish/Indian/Chinese/Mexican/blk, etc...get over it...humans will be humans....been that way for centuries and will be going fwd no matter silly laws or attempts at social engineering

Anyone who can't deal w/real world is free not to opt into such careers or to litigate such alleged "harassment".....but real world is smart enough to figure out which prospective students/employees/investors, etc are more trouble than they are worth....self-selection and natural selection often supersede silly litigation
Occasional musings from the hsw-bot are both amusing, and informingly illustrative of the inhuman point of view. Siri would be proud.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:10 PM

135 posts, read 335,254 times
Well Shabazz You are certainly entitled to your opinion of how roasts should be run but the fact is that jokes on race, homosexuality and pretty much anything else are fair game at these. I think the idea is that you are in familiar company and no one is too sensitive. When I was in High School playing ball we would always have racial jokes going between the black and Mexican players on the team. The thing is we were all friends and could laugh at ourselves and stupid stereotypes. Granted, if an outsider came in with these jokes they'd quickly get punched in the face.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Ok Fontucky, it might work that way in your world but most people who find fault with any source in an internet forum simply Google until they find something they’re more conferrable with. I do it all the time when people link articles from sites I find untrustworthy. But to each his own, Stacey Koon...
Well there goes your credbility...

Stay strong

Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Well there goes your credbility...

Stay strong
Luckily credibility can only be judged by the creditable. So I’m straight…

PS. I’ve also added some entertainment for you…

TEA PARTY RACISM: What The Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism - YouTube

Old 06-07-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Luckily credibility can only be judged by the creditable. So I’m straight…

PS. I’ve also added some entertainment for you…

TEA PARTY RACISM: What The Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism - YouTube
A poster asks you to prove a point and you compare him to the guy who did this

Maybe you should look at this Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy

Besides why stop at Stacey Koon, why not compare him to Goebbels or better still Mengele?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
A poster asks you to prove a point and you compare him to the guy who did this

Maybe you should look at this Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Association fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Besides why stop at Stacey Koon, why not compare him to Goebbels or better still Mengele?
I can tell you didn’t read or understand the postings. A poster asked me to provide a link better to his liking. I provided four addition links but he still didn’t find those suitable. I also brought up the fact that if the sources aren’t to your liking there is always Google. I wasn’t going to entertain the fact that he wanted me to do his work for him. I look at it like this, if you don’t like the sources feel free to do your own research. If you’re too lazy don’t comment. I defiantly find secondary sources when threads are supported by articles from the Blaze or Fox news and I suggest other people do the same. Simple as that…

Old 06-07-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I can tell you didn’t read or understand the postings. A poster asked me to provide a link better to his liking. I provided four addition links but he still didn’t find those suitable. I also brought up the fact that if the sources aren’t to your liking there is always Google. I wasn’t going to entertain the fact that he wanted me to do his work for him. I look at it like this, if you don’t like the sources feel free to do your own research. If you’re too lazy don’t comment. I defiantly find secondary sources when threads are supported by articles from the Blaze or Fox news and I suggest other people do the same. Simple as that…
You compared a random poster to a cop that nearly beat Rodney King to death. That sounds lazy to me (intellectually anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles