Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times

Advertisements

I just read this and it is despicable.

Quote:
It is shameful that a respected African American faculty surgeon at the UCLA Medical Center could be intentionally demeaned based on his race and that university officials could ignore blatant acts of racial discrimination. But that is what is happening at UCLA.
Human Rights Petition: UCLA Chancellor Gene Block: Stop Discriminating and Retaliating Against Dr. Christian Head | Change.org

Last edited by Count David; 06-05-2012 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: two sentence article rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 02:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Sure it is despicable.... IF it is true.

Given that UCLA is a very "PC" university, let's just say I have my doubts that these things occurred...Or at least that there may be some very significant gaps in the information presented.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
How sad and a huge blight on one of America's finest & most respected teaching hospitals. Even if the gorilla slideshow was a joke (obviously a stupid & childish one at that), that kind of prank has no place in the confines of a professional event. Remember, these are highly-trained physicians & surgeons who charge literally tens of thousands for their services. They're not a group of rowdy firemen or mechanics. It really shows there's a lack of professional discipline & leadership at the hospital. I hope this lawsuit causes some heads to roll.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM

203 posts, read 577,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

Given that UCLA is a very "PC" university, let's just say I have my doubts that these things occurred...Or at least that there may be some very significant gaps in the information presented.
Sure it's PC compared to most, but it's no way to say I'd doubt that this occurred because of that...you NEVER know what goes on beneath the surface.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

You capitalized “IF” inferring that the situation described below is unlikely. Have you read a rebuttal to the charge that was good enough to sow doubt in your mind? The information in the linked article appears indicate there were 200 witnesses. Even if the other charges prove to be bogus (witch I doubt if the first is true) superimposing a black mans head onto a gorilla for laughs is racially insensitive at the least and flat out racist and bigoted at the worst. That is something you just don’t do in any setting especially a professional one.

And yes UCLA is a very respected and prestigious institution that’s why it is so shocking something like this might have happened.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Can you provide credible links?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Can you provide credible links?
Why yes I can but so can Google if the source isn't to your liking. If you’re looking for a blaze or Fox News article I can’t help you there. Biased opinionated reporting is their forte.

Christian Head, Black UCLA Medical School Doctor, Files Lawsuit After Alleged Gorilla Depiction

African American Doctor Depicted as Gorilla at UCLA Event

Dr. Christian Head, UCLA, Racial Discrimination Lawsuit | Breaking News for Black America

Saddening: Esteemed African American Doctor Depicted as Gorilla at UCLA Event - mytings

Old 06-04-2012, 06:14 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Why yes I can but so can Google if the source isn't to your liking. If you’re looking for a blaze or Fox News article I can’t help you there. Biased opinionated reporting is their forte.
Oh please. There is proven evidence of bias of in nearly every media channel out there. What that a necessary statement?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Oh please. There is proven evidence of bias of in nearly every media channel out there. What that a necessary statement?
Yes I believe it was a necessary statement. If I felt otherwise I probably wouldn’t have posted it. The poster asked for a “more credible link” and I provided multiple additional sources. I’m well aware of bias in perception and reporting so I pointed out the fact that most right wing media outlets won’t have this story covered for that simple reason.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
It may seem odd that one of the perps was Chinese, but in fact I have found that Asians on average are more racist than whites on average (neither of them are mostly racists, but there are a few in every crowd).

It WAS a "roast", and almost everything goes at a roast, but still this is over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles