Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 AM

23 posts, read 167,719 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will probably be living somewhere in between Agoura Hills and Carson in a month or two. CSUDH is at the top of my list because an occupational therapy master's degree is much cheaper than at USC. Has anyone traveled via public transportation from Culver City to Carson? Or from further away (Sherman Oaks, Encino, etc)? How is that trip? I know it's really long, but I could get in a decent amount of study time. Also, I've noticed that the area around CSUDH is pretty sketchy. Has anyone ever encountered crime on/near campus? Comments and advice are appreciated! Thank you.

Edit: My boyfriend would be open to having a long commute to his job if it meant that I'd have a less hellish commute to school. Are there any decent areas about an hour via bus/20 minutes via car from CSUDH? Redondo Beach? Torrance? Manhattan Beach?

Last edited by leeters84; 06-05-2012 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Nothing? Please help! Thanks.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:12 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeters84 View Post
My boyfriend and I will probably be living somewhere in between Agoura Hills and Carson in a month or two. CSUDH is at the top of my list because an occupational therapy master's degree is much cheaper than at USC. Has anyone traveled via public transportation from Culver City to Carson? Or from further away (Sherman Oaks, Encino, etc)? How is that trip? I know it's really long, but I could get in a decent amount of study time. Also, I've noticed that the area around CSUDH is pretty sketchy. Has anyone ever encountered crime on/near campus? Comments and advice are appreciated! Thank you.

Edit: My boyfriend would be open to having a long commute to his job if it meant that I'd have a less hellish commute to school. Are there any decent areas about an hour via bus/20 minutes via car from CSUDH? Redondo Beach? Torrance? Manhattan Beach?
No one answered because what you are proposing is nearly impossible. You are going to have to stick to those last cities you mentioned (Torrance, / Redondo Beach). Go to Metro.net and find out which bus lines run to the campus and search near there. Valley to CSU DH will be impossibly long on PT. Culver City is brutal with multiple transfers and 1 hour 40 minutes being the shortest distance.

This is mostly due to CSU DH's location. For instance, Cal State LA is much easier to reach via PT, as is CSU Northridge. If your boyfriend is working in Agoura, maybe even CSU Channel Islands would be a better choice. Do any of those have the program you are looking for? If you can get into USC's program maybe even UCLA is worth a shot.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:00 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,567 times
A better way to gauge the commute via public transit is to find out from CSUDH which public trans are available.

The Carson City bus probably has a stop there, and that could transfer to Redondo Beach, Torrance and Garden bus system.

I'm not sure how far away from if the Metro Lines, but worth a search

Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
A better way to gauge the commute via public transit is to find out from CSUDH which public trans are available.

The Carson City bus probably has a stop there, and that could transfer to Redondo Beach, Torrance and Garden bus system.

I'm not sure how far away from if the Metro Lines, but worth a search
Very far.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:12 PM

I googled "CSUDH public transportation" and the first link said

"It's easy to get to CSUDH by bus from most Los Angeles locations. Carson Circuit, Torrance Transit buses, and Metro and light rail provide direct service to most parts of campus. If you are commuting to CSUDH from outside Los Angeles you can use Metrolink for quick and convenient connections. CSUDH also offers employees a monthly subsidy towards the purchase of a monthly or Metrolink pass."

Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I googled "CSUDH public transportation" and the first link said

"It's easy to get to CSUDH by bus from most Los Angeles locations. Carson Circuit, Torrance Transit buses, and Metro and light rail provide direct service to most parts of campus. If you are commuting to CSUDH from outside Los Angeles you can use Metrolink for quick and convenient connections. CSUDH also offers employees a monthly subsidy towards the purchase of a monthly or Metrolink pass."
The closest Blue Line Station is about 2 miles away.

Bringing a bike might save a ton of time getting from the station to the campus - that way you don't have to wait for a bus just to go 2 miles.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM

There's a Metro Trip planner link, hopefully it's ok to post

Metro Trip Planner

Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The closest Blue Line Station is about 2 miles away.

Bringing a bike might save a ton of time getting from the station to the campus - that way you don't have to wait for a bus just to go 2 miles.
I actually thought a bike would be a good idea. For now though we think it's best to live close to his job since I wouldn't be able to attend school until the Summer 2013 semester. We're looking at places in Sherman Oaks and Woodland Hills. Also, those other schools you mentioned (besides USC) don't have OT programs and the tuition for the USC program is insane. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
There's a Metro Trip planner link, hopefully it's ok to post

Metro Trip Planner

Thanks! I was looking for a trip planner. I guess I didn't look hard enough. We're scrapping plans to live close to CSUDH right now and planning on being closer to his job. We'll move closer when I start school next year. Woodland Hills or Sherman Oaks is where we hope to end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles