Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 PM

75 posts, read 205,476 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

A friend of mine is getting ready to apply for business schools in Southern California for the fall of 2013. He has visited Pepperdine, UCLA, and UC Irvine & is looking to apply to all three of those schools plus USC.

I understand that there are "regional" business schools in the area as well (must be, right?). What other schools other than those listed above are potential candidates for him to apply to? He really wants to move to LA so he doesn't mind if the business school's influence doesn't transcend LA's borders.

Just to give you an idea of what I am talking about: I live here in Dallas. An MBA from SMU is the "sexy" pick for potential employers given it's vast alumni support & pull. I just looked up the rankings for SMU's business school and it sits at 59th (if I remember correctly). However, they have a top 5 entrepreneurial specialty and they have such a powerful network that the ranking doesn't seem to matter. Dallas has such a strong job market that being "confined to Dallas, Houston, Austin, SA, etc" doesn't matter due to the great job market & low cost of living.

All that aside, UTD (University of Texas at Dallas) is seen as a "darkhorse" MBA given that employers are just as apt to hire their graduates given the fact that they will demand not as high a salary and the school has earned a good reputation in the region the past 5 or so years. Plus the tuition isn't nearly as high. It is funny how an MBA from UTD has almost become a stong second to SMU's MBA in that it is no longer uncommon for peers to be applying there & no longer as anonymous vs the SMU MBA say, back in 2003 for example.

I apologize for the rant but my question is: Are there similar darkhorse MBA's in the Southern California region that maybe an outsider like myself (or some other cowboy from good 'ol Texas) should be looking at? I would like to think that people like myself & my friend are as smart as our parents have been telling us all our lives but something about having USC or UC Irvine as a "safety school" definitely brings me pause if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,271,632 times
If your friend wants an MBA from southern California, there are really only two choices, UCLA and USC. (Stanford and Berkeley in northern California). Those are the top tier MBA programs in CA.

The only top tier off the top of my head in Texas is UT (Austin). Maybe Rice in Houston. SMU and UTD are certainly not.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM

56 posts, read 236,165 times
Look at US NEWS: Best Business School Rankings | MBA Program Rankings | US News

I think UCI is No. 49; and Claremont is #75.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:24 PM

56 posts, read 236,165 times
Also Pepperdine is #81. Whose rankings matter in the MBA world? US News or Business Week or some other publication?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,789,229 times
CSUF actually ranks pretty well last I checked(ranked 135 by US News in 2011) and is significantly cheaper than every other option. Also the largest accredited business college in the state.
Chapman(97 USNews, 46 BusinessWeek) is well regarded as a more local school, as is Loyola(maybe more so? they're highly ranked as a regional institution[#4 by US News overall for the west] and their part time MBA is among the highest rated in the US). Both are private schools like USC.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM

75 posts, read 205,476 times
Thank you all so much for the info! Yeah--I've noticed the rankings fluctuate for fulltime/part-time as well as the acceptance rate. Definitely something to look into.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM

35 posts, read 96,435 times
USC if you can get it. The school is not the only draw. It is the USC "family" that'll take care of you afterwards if you want to work in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles