U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,150 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be moving to Southern California towards the end of September. I wanted to know get some opinions on where best to look. I have some ideas of what I am looking for and West Hollywood seems like a good fit. My roommate will be working in Beverly Hills so ideally she would like to be within 30 minutes of there.

Safety is out number one concern, we are 22 year old females and would rather sacrifice the size or an older place to be in a safer neighborhood.

We both have cars so at least being able to park on the street nearby is pretty important.

I CANNOT deal with pests and rodents, don't know how huge of a problem that is but it is a complete deal breaker if the word roach even crosses your mind!

We would ideally like a 2 bedroom, our budget for a place (including utilities) is $1500. Way more comfortable closer to $1200 but we could swing it for the right place.

Not too worried about noise, I can wear earplugs and sleep through the night. Washer and dryer in the unit or on site is nice but not a necessity, a fully functioning kitchen is though.

If anyone knows of any places in West Hollywood or any other area that is within reason let me know! Always appreciated as I know there are a million and one posts like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,563,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbrook33 View Post
Hello, I will be moving to Southern California towards the end of September. I wanted to know get some opinions on where best to look. I have some ideas of what I am looking for and West Hollywood seems like a good fit. My roommate will be working in Beverly Hills so ideally she would like to be within 30 minutes of there.

Safety is out number one concern, we are 22 year old females and would rather sacrifice the size or an older place to be in a safer neighborhood.

We both have cars so at least being able to park on the street nearby is pretty important.

I CANNOT deal with pests and rodents, don't know how huge of a problem that is but it is a complete deal breaker if the word roach even crosses your mind!

We would ideally like a 2 bedroom, our budget for a place (including utilities) is $1500. Way more comfortable closer to $1200 but we could swing it for the right place.

Not too worried about noise, I can wear earplugs and sleep through the night. Washer and dryer in the unit or on site is nice but not a necessity, a fully functioning kitchen is though.

If anyone knows of any places in West Hollywood or any other area that is within reason let me know! Always appreciated as I know there are a million and one posts like this.
I'd be surprised to find any two bedrooms in WeHo for 1500.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:59 PM

14 posts, read 24,823 times
Serious question: are you okay with gay people?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manini2010 View Post
Totally not a problem.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd be surprised to find any two bedrooms in WeHo for 1500.
Are there other areas you would suggest?

Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbrook33 View Post
Are there other areas you would suggest?
Your price range is pretty low for a two bedroom, especially if you are more comfortable paying 1200.

Will you have a job or just your roommate?

Honestly with the price you desire, somewhere in the Valley like Sherman Oaks might be a better choice. Take a look at Padmapper (far from all-inclusive but gives you a good idea): Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Los Feliz/East Hollywood might have some stuff available too.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:14 AM

35 posts, read 85,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manini2010 View Post
"We Ho" is one of the most accurate nick names for a place I know of, because it is the destination for gay transplants to LA, ( those who like the water live in Long Beach).

I agree with many of the other posters that rent is going to be more expensive than your budget. If you have a bit more, I would say they are many good apartments west of Fairfax. East of there you can try looking in Park La Brea. Many of the apartments by Cedars Sinai are very nice, but pricey. The general rule geographically is west of Fairfax, north of Olympic.

Back in the day, I lived in a place just 2 blocks west of Fairfax blvd not quite to Korea town, and was surprised to learn that most of the pizza shops would not deliver to my street! After two shootings within the first few months, I understood why!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Your price range is pretty low for a two bedroom, especially if you are more comfortable paying 1200.

Will you have a job or just your roommate?

Honestly with the price you desire, somewhere in the Valley like Sherman Oaks might be a better choice. Take a look at Padmapper (far from all-inclusive but gives you a good idea): Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Los Feliz/East Hollywood might have some stuff available too.

I will have a job as well, she is going out a bit before me and will have a job going out, once I come out I will be looking for a job immediately and then we will look for a place, basically she is just more sure of what she is making versus me. I don't mind driving a bit more than her if I have to.

Thanks for the website, haven't seen that one yet!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofcat View Post
"We Ho" is one of the most accurate nick names for a place I know of, because it is the destination for gay transplants to LA, ( those who like the water live in Long Beach).

I agree with many of the other posters that rent is going to be more expensive than your budget. If you have a bit more, I would say they are many good apartments west of Fairfax. East of there you can try looking in Park La Brea. Many of the apartments by Cedars Sinai are very nice, but pricey. The general rule geographically is west of Fairfax, north of Olympic.

Back in the day, I lived in a place just 2 blocks west of Fairfax blvd not quite to Korea town, and was surprised to learn that most of the pizza shops would not deliver to my street! After two shootings within the first few months, I understood why!
Err... Fairfax isn't really even close to Koreatown, especially not on the west side of Fairfax .

To the OP:
You can definitely live east of Fairfax, the idea that you cannot must from the 80s or 90s. I live well east of there in Central Hollywood and have never had a problem with crime. The only shootings have been domestic disputes and one crazy dude (which really could have happened anywhere). Living south of Olympic is still a bit adventurous, though it is definitely not that dangerous. One thing to note - crime in LA is at a historic low, so if people try to scare you with "east of this" and "south of that" just take it with a grain of salt; it might be true but a lot of times it is an outdated rule of thumb.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM

31,586 posts, read 34,821,923 times
I think you should look for a 1 bedroom to share, as close to work as possible. It doesn't sound like your jobs will be high paying or maybe not even that secure? Don't overextend or you will end up ruining your credit and renting ability. From there you can spend some time getting familiar with things and deciding where to go next. It's very likely you won't stay in the first place you land once the lease is up anyway so think of it as a just a starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or