U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
The car thing is up to you, but it will certainly hinder you if you expect to be going on appointments for your screenwriting concern. There isn't a bus stop on every corner like in east coast cities, and the buses are slow - and expensive. You'll meet people who live all over the area, and how are you going to visit them? And what about trips to other cities in California? You CAN possibly live here without a car, but it WILL definitely restrict your behavior and activities.

I'm glad you liked it here.
LA actually has better bus coverage than the East Coast cities. I know from experience it is much, much better/more extensive/faster than the bus service in Boston.

Sounds like from 'industry' types on this board that if you are a screenwriter or actor it is prudent to have a car because there can be a lot of last minute traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 11,017,542 times
I do plan to get a car at some point, just not until I've been out there for awhile. But it is true that trying to get going as a writer, a car would help so much. I am prepared to ride that out, my desire for not wanting a car initially is that strong.

Completely agree about needing a car at least some of the time, if you want to go to the mountains and stuff. But there are many reasons for me not wanting to drive there to start out, and so I think I'll be fine at least temporarily. It's not a permanent life choice.

As someone said, I'm sure my view of Los Angeles that I received on this first visit will change. But this is just what I gathered experiencing it first.

Thanks for the replies. Good to get some feedback. I really was surprised myself at the liking I took to LA.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 PM

40 posts, read 67,694 times

Visiting LA is a whole different animal than living there. Yes it's magical. Especially for people in the biz.

The city tends to wear down your resolve, unless you strike it rich, it's a very tough city to be middle-class or lower.

Having just moved from LA to Denver, everyone I meet here's from LA. Weird.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 PM

10,001 posts, read 13,827,047 times
LA gets a seriously bum rap these days; probably a reaction to the fact that for so long, it was marketed or held as paradise by so many... may not be the case, but I love it here and would take it over pretty much any city in a heartbeat - oh wait, I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingblacksea
Visiting LA is a whole different animal than living there.
Same goes for any city, though. It's always better when you're on vacation.

Quote:
Yes it's magical. Especially for people in the biz.
I find it has a magical quality to it and am not "in the biz," nor do I have anything to do with it, for the most part... I don't own at TV or watch any shows, and I see maybe 1 or 2 new movies a year.

Quote:
The city tends to wear down your resolve,
Not at all. Seattle wore down my resolve, because it sucked so bad; what was the point of getting anywhere in a place I didn't want to be in? LA actually made me want to be successful, and I felt like I could do it here. And lo in behold, I am!

Quote:
unless you strike it rich, it's a very tough city to be middle-class or lower.
I enjoyed it plenty when I wasn't making much money; honestly, all told, I really enjoy the city itself about the same either way. It's a tough city to be middle class in if you want to live in the city itself, in a free-standing two-story house with four bedrooms, three baths, a living room and a den. If you can stomach living in a two or three bedroom apartment or condo, it's really not THAT tough. If you can live within your means, you can do it here, too.

Quote:
Having just moved from LA to Denver, everyone I meet here's from LA. Weird.
Eh, it ain't for everybody.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:28 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times
LA gets a bad rap because they're still thinking it's the LA of the 90s where one half lives in luxury while the other half lives in a Mad Max style wasteland filled with gangs and violence.

Whenever I tell people I am moving to LA, they automatically think. "you're going to get killed".

After 9/11 though I think that NYC and LA have vastly improved.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,827,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Also, for those that do not own a car, Zip Car is a great option for getting to beaches/mountains/Santa Barbara (Amtrak takes you there too)/Vineyards.

Those who insist you have to own a car in Los Angeles haven't thought things through
I'd suggest the shoe is on the other foot. Using public transit within Los Angeles works okay, but the minute you try to explore Southern California as a whole the alternatives to owning your own car are either more expensive or inconvenient.

Have you ever tried traveling with Amtrak? It takes noticeably longer than driving and it doesn't operate late which greatly limits how far you can get on a "day-trip". Furthermore, Amtrak isn't cheap.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,889,417 times
Does Amtrack go to San Diego or San Francisco?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 PM

Yes, but it takes forever. The only time I travel with Amtrak is if I'm traveling by myself for a meeting or something of that nature. Still pricey compared to driving, but I can get things down on the train.

I'm sure most people fly to San Fran, but I hate planes....

Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, but it takes forever. The only time I travel with Amtrak is if I'm traveling by myself for a meeting or something of that nature. Still pricey compared to driving, but I can get things down on the train.

I'm sure most people fly to San Fran, but I hate planes....
Too bad High Speed Rail costs so damned much to build (or so the estimates have told so far)

Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Too bad High Speed Rail costs so damned much to build (or so the estimates have told so far)
High speed rail throughout California wouldn't be too much, its just that Americans sold their soul to big oil, auto, etc years ago.

Many decades ago big oil, GM, etc destroyed Los Angeles' public transit infrastructure by buying light rail systems only to destroy them. The "its too damned much" sentiment is driven by the same interests that destroyed the rail infrastructure decades ago...

Every developed nation, and even some emerging nations, have high-speed rail systems. But not the United States....in the United States they are "so damned much to build".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or