U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 PM

397 posts, read 824,860 times

Advertisements

You don't need a car in LA.

The key is to live in the right part of the city to access the transit. Of course, the parts that have great transit are the parts the OP seemed to be hating on. If you live in Downtown, Koreatown, or Hollywood you can easily live without a car. I've done it for 2+ years. Zipcar is there but I have never used it.

LA is a spread out city but you'll find that you only want to go to certain places. Anywhere I actually want to go is, at most, is an hour away by public transit. I can get certain place, such as downtown, faster without driving. And then I don't have to worry about the headaches of finding a parking spot and paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,791,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
You don't need a car in LA.

The key is to live in the right part of the city to access the transit. Of course, the parts that have great transit are the parts the OP seemed to be hating on. If you live in Downtown, Koreatown, or Hollywood you can easily live without a car. I've done it for 2+ years. Zipcar is there but I have never used it.

LA is a spread out city but you'll find that you only want to go to certain places. Anywhere I actually want to go is, at most, is an hour away by public transit. I can get certain place, such as downtown, faster without driving. And then I don't have to worry about the headaches of finding a parking spot and paying for it.
I agree, I don't mind the areas so much myself. However, for immigrants or people with families, living in those areas is much more difficult. Also, some people don't want to live there because there is often more crime than the other suburbs of LA.

It's annoying that they only built MR over there. Oh well, what are you gonna do? The ones with the high population always get served first.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,893,434 times
Quote:
Loved Westwood and Santa Monica, to me that is where the city shines. The westside. I also went to Pasadena, liked there too. Unusual because in other cities, I would prefer the downtown and Hollywood-type neighborhoods.
To the OP:

I am sorry but I do not mean to be a dyck, or be a bad representation of LA people (I am a recent transplant), but I hate it when people just think that LA is the beach. Listen, dude or dudette, if you're gonna be one of these small town or small city people that has to have everything be as shiny as a new leather boot then you need not come to LA.

I was re-located from Houston for work and I went along with three co-workers. We're all from Texas and all from Houston, the nice parts too, and we all had to find affordable housing in the Valley. I am the only one out of the four who enjoys ALL of LA. Not that one has to enjoy it all, but can see LA for more than just the beach.

My co-workers and I live in the nicer parts of North Hollywood and they still complain about how old, retro and "sketchy" they find it when they're told everyday by other Angelenos that they should be so lucky to live in those spots for the prices they found with easy access to LA, Burbank, Studio City and Universal.

Yet, ALL they talk about is Santa Monica. They can't shut their friggin' traps about Santa Monica. It's the only part of the city that they find appealing along with Westwood, Brentwood and Beverly Hills. When I tell them that my favorite part of town, the part that I find the most eclectic and awe inspiring that I have to visit at least every weekend is Downtown LA (DTLA), they flip a wig. I love the Grand Central Market, Old Historic Downtown, Broadway, Pershing Sq., the Fashion District. It's amazing.

I also love WeHo. It's gorgeous to me. I don't know how one can even begin to call it a "dump"? I also love Melrose and the bars on Cahengua in Hollywood. I go buck wild on some Korean BBQ in Koreatown. I shop the vintage stores in Burbank and all the way on Melrose.

Sorry, but it shows to me that you're not that broad minded enough to find what makes LA LA. It is really not just the beach or the ritzy resort towns like Santa Monica. In fact Venice is far more interesting. I do not mean to dog on Santa Monica, I am not blind to see it's gorgeous and that people find some sort of stability in nice looking places, but for someone who wants to be a screenwriter, there is nothing I would find too terribly inspirational in Santa Monica.

Sorry, LA is not a dump, it's just your expectations were woefully too high and you were experiencing a hard core culture shock.

I knew when I first arrived, I initially though the same thing, like what did I get myself into thoughts as soon I hopped on the Metro to Hollywood and Highland, and in the car there was a drunk homeless man (at 6pm) ready to hurl on the seat next to him.

Granted I have not yet seen East LA or been down to South Central, but that's because while I am still exploring there are limits to what I consider being "open minded". I am not naive to think that with the right mind set Pacoima (LA's real dangerous hood) is going to be eclectic.

End Rant.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 11,030,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
To the OP:

I am sorry but I do not mean to be a dyck, or be a bad representation of LA people (I am a recent transplant), but I hate it when people just think that LA is the beach. Listen, dude or dudette, if you're gonna be one of these small town or small city people that has to have everything be as shiny as a new leather boot then you need not come to LA.

I was re-located from Houston for work and I went along with three co-workers. We're all from Texas and all from Houston, the nice parts too, and we all had to find affordable housing in the Valley. I am the only one out of the four who enjoys ALL of LA. Not that one has to enjoy it all, but can see LA for more than just the beach.

My co-workers and I live in the nicer parts of North Hollywood and they still complain about how old, retro and "sketchy" they find it when they're told everyday by other Angelenos that they should be so lucky to live in those spots for the prices they found with easy access to LA, Burbank, Studio City and Universal.

Yet, ALL they talk about is Santa Monica. They can't shut their friggin' traps about Santa Monica. It's the only part of the city that they find appealing along with Westwood, Brentwood and Beverly Hills. When I tell them that my favorite part of town, the part that I find the most eclectic and awe inspiring that I have to visit at least every weekend is Downtown LA (DTLA), they flip a wig. I love the Grand Central Market, Old Historic Downtown, Broadway, Pershing Sq., the Fashion District. It's amazing.

I also love WeHo. It's gorgeous to me. I don't know how one can even begin to call it a "dump"? I also love Melrose and the bars on Cahengua in Hollywood. I go buck wild on some Korean BBQ in Koreatown. I shop the vintage stores in Burbank and all the way on Melrose.

Sorry, but it shows to me that you're not that broad minded enough to find what makes LA LA. It is really not just the beach or the ritzy resort towns like Santa Monica. In fact Venice is far more interesting. I do not mean to dog on Santa Monica, I am not blind to see it's gorgeous and that people find some sort of stability in nice looking places, but for someone who wants to be a screenwriter, there is nothing I would find too terribly inspirational in Santa Monica.

Sorry, LA is not a dump, it's just your expectations were woefully too high and you were experiencing a hard core culture shock.

I knew when I first arrived, I initially though the same thing, like what did I get myself into thoughts as soon I hopped on the Metro to Hollywood and Highland, and in the car there was a drunk homeless man (at 6pm) ready to hurl on the seat next to him.

Granted I have not yet seen East LA or been down to South Central, but that's because while I am still exploring there are limits to what I consider being "open minded". I am not naive to think that with the right mind set Pacoima (LA's real dangerous hood) is going to be eclectic.

End Rant.
Wow.

Those are certainly not the reasons why I took a liking to the Westside. It's fine to rant and have your own opinion, but please don't take it out on me or assume my opinion is a certain way because of this or that. I would completely disagree with the reasons you stated.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 PM

No problem. I tried not to take offense but you called all my favorite parts LA a dump. People live there, enjoy the areas, and find them fascinating.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:54 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,791,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
No problem. I tried not to take offense but you called all my favorite parts LA a dump. People live there, enjoy the areas, and find them fascinating.
I don't take sides, but I have to say that you have a good point. I'm an LA native, and even I used to think those southern areas were, well... undesirable. But after having toured myself, if that's where you've been brought up, then that's where you've been brought up. You can have connections and rave spots there, just like anywhere else. They're also remodeling a bit.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,386 posts, read 11,030,401 times
Yeah, I could have worded that better. I just didn't find much to like in those areas as I did with the Westside, which had nothing to do with the beach being there or everything being new and clean. I expected to like exactly the opposite prior to having been there.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 PM

Well the point I was trying to make is what exactly is it about Santa Monica (besides the beach) that makes it stand out from other beach towns like say in Florida? Venice, no question. But I found Santa Monica to be a tourist trap kind of place tbh.

Westwood reminded me a lot of the Rice Village (only much fancier) back home, which is the college area near Rice University in Houston. A cool nice spot to meet other college students but nothing remotely captivating.

Do not get me wrong, I love my place in NoHo and wouldn't trade it for an apartment in DTLA but I love traveling over there and just getting lost in all of it. I can see why directors such as Michael Mann and Nicholas Winding Refn of Drive find it so fascinating.

Even famous director Werner Herzog said that LA (minus the glitz of the Westside) is the most captivating city he's ever been to. And mind you he said this is so without the Hollywood Hills.

Like him I agree it's "RAW".

I love Manhattan NYC but even though Rudy Guliani cleaned it up, it's Disneyland now by comparison to LA.

Just saying, I guess you do have to get used to the areas.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:07 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,101,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasevemom View Post
I have lived in L.A. for 12 years, all of it in Santa Monica or within a couple blocks of the Santa Monica city limits, and I love it. If you have a good income (or are single and could live in like, someone's garden shed) and don't mind renting indefinitely, I think you would be incredibly happy in Santa Monica (I always was). I never felt the need to go east of the 405 or north of the 10. But it's nice to know that if I wanted to go to something in Hollywood I could.

I can't imagine living here without a car, honestly, but I've never tried. I know people do it. But yes, if you want to be in the movie business you will have to have a car. People do not want to wait for you to transfer to 3 different bus lines or bike your sweaty self to a meeting in midsummer. The entertainment business is TOUGH. Do not give people more reasons to reject you. I moved out here for the same reason (screenwriting ambitions) but eventually drifted into fiction writing instead. That said, I can advise you on screenwriting stuff if you need it (classes to take, Nicholl Fellowship, etc.) and I am not going to be one of those people who tries to discourage you. Who am I to say who will make it and who won't?

I am in the process of buying a house in the Mid-City area (a really nice residential pocket just west of La Brea and north of the 10), and will miss Santa Monica terribly, but I will not miss renting. Just a personal preference. And one thing of interest to me (and to you!) is that within 4-5 years there will be an amazing light rail line that goes all the way from downtown attractions like the Staples Center to Santa Monica and back, so when that's finished I'll never have to worry about traffic again (my husband still works in Santa Monica and is going to have to suck it up and bear the commute for a few years).

You are DEAD ON when you say you like the westside best. I literally don't think, until I started house-hunting, that I had crossed east of the 405 more than once a year since I stopped doing background/extra work (another fun thing to play around with that's very compatible with writing if you don't have a full time job, but ONLY if you have a car and either GPS or are great with maps).

Hope this helps! And look me up if you ever need a fellow LA-lover/writer to talk to!
I've lived in LA for 2 years, and I find no need to go west of Vermont, so to each his own. It depends on whether you prefer culture or a cushy beach life at its expense. Personally I wouldn't live anywhere except Los Feliz, Echo Park, Silverlake, Atwater or even DTLA. What I love about LA is that there is so much more to it than that shallow cliche "LA lifestyle" that people love to hate. The cool part of the West Side is Venice the rest is just cultures of affluence, even though its fun to go to Beverly Hills and look at nice cars.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,101,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelonafan View Post
to the op:

i am sorry but i do not mean to be a dyck, or be a bad representation of la people (i am a recent transplant), but i hate it when people just think that la is the beach. Listen, dude or dudette, if you're gonna be one of these small town or small city people that has to have everything be as shiny as a new leather boot then you need not come to la.

I was re-located from houston for work and i went along with three co-workers. We're all from texas and all from houston, the nice parts too, and we all had to find affordable housing in the valley. I am the only one out of the four who enjoys all of la. Not that one has to enjoy it all, but can see la for more than just the beach.

My co-workers and i live in the nicer parts of north hollywood and they still complain about how old, retro and "sketchy" they find it when they're told everyday by other angelenos that they should be so lucky to live in those spots for the prices they found with easy access to la, burbank, studio city and universal.

Yet, all they talk about is santa monica. They can't shut their friggin' traps about santa monica. It's the only part of the city that they find appealing along with westwood, brentwood and beverly hills. When i tell them that my favorite part of town, the part that i find the most eclectic and awe inspiring that i have to visit at least every weekend is downtown la (dtla), they flip a wig. I love the grand central market, old historic downtown, broadway, pershing sq., the fashion district. It's amazing.

I also love weho. It's gorgeous to me. I don't know how one can even begin to call it a "dump"? I also love melrose and the bars on cahengua in hollywood. I go buck wild on some korean bbq in koreatown. I shop the vintage stores in burbank and all the way on melrose.

Sorry, but it shows to me that you're not that broad minded enough to find what makes la la. It is really not just the beach or the ritzy resort towns like santa monica. In fact venice is far more interesting. I do not mean to dog on santa monica, i am not blind to see it's gorgeous and that people find some sort of stability in nice looking places, but for someone who wants to be a screenwriter, there is nothing i would find too terribly inspirational in santa monica.

Sorry, la is not a dump, it's just your expectations were woefully too high and you were experiencing a hard core culture shock.

I knew when i first arrived, i initially though the same thing, like what did i get myself into thoughts as soon i hopped on the metro to hollywood and highland, and in the car there was a drunk homeless man (at 6pm) ready to hurl on the seat next to him.

Granted i have not yet seen east la or been down to south central, but that's because while i am still exploring there are limits to what i consider being "open minded". I am not naive to think that with the right mind set pacoima (la's real dangerous hood) is going to be eclectic.

End rant.
thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or