Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I drove through L.A. the other day on my way back home to San Diego from the Bay Area and I honestly did not want to go back home.
Just don't tell that to anybody down in SD. They don't take a-likin' to that sorta talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:18 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why is Central LA such a dump???
why does imaterry78259 continually insist on trolling the los angeles forum with his anti-LA posts?

seriously man, your act is unbelievably lame. do you really find this entertaining? grow up.

and for the record, there some very nice, well-kept neighborhoods in central los angeles, most notably hancock park, windsor square/larchmont village, and los feliz; hipster/artistic neighborhoods such as silver lake, echo park (which features some beautiful victorian homes in the angelino heights subdistrict), and the arts district in DTLA; and other popular/non-dumpy neighborhoods such as the fairfax district, miracle mile, parts of downtown, parts of hollywood, and west hollywood (although some people would contend that weho is part of the westside).

even the gritty neighborhoods of central los angeles such as koreatown, westlake, east hollywood (which includes thai town and little armenia), and the non-gentrified, non-polished parts of downtown LA are fascinating places with tons of character and great ethnic food.

basically, there is no shortage of nice and/or interesting neighborhoods in central los angeles. not that you care - your aim, as usual, is to infect the LA board with your juvenile nonsense.

Last edited by pbergen; 07-12-2012 at 01:43 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 AM

186 posts, read 377,730 times
My husband writes screenplays too and we too are thinking of moving to LA from Tampa FL. Scared to death to pick the wrong area to live in. What did you finally decide?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM

186 posts, read 377,730 times
If anyone here can pinpoint good areas for families with teens in LA/subburbs I'd be forever grateful. Safe areas with good schools mainly. We are middle class for now, depending on how hubby does with his movies. Will have vehicle and will want to be somewhat close to wherever it's HAPPENING around there in/for the movie industry.
Many thanks and good tidings to all.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Great post! I, too, am thinking of moving to LA. I am currently in NYC and was apprehensive after reading the horror stories of the "sprawl" and how public transportation was a nightmare. I don't drive either. I am not expecting LA to be anything like NYC (and I don't want it to be-I am leaving NYC for a reason lol) but I am happy to hear that it's not as bad as I am imagining.

I do expect to get my license and have a car while living there, just nice to know that I have options either way.
Let's just say this, although it is possible to survive without a car, and I assume you do know how to drive, right? It is very challenging to survive in a city that is car friendly, but not mass transit friendly. Will you to persuing a movie career like so many other young people or will you be transferring with the company you are now working for? One of the hardest parts of trying to get a job in Los Angeles, is the commute issues without a car, depending on what part of town you live in and where you end up working. You are right, it is nothing like living in or even near NYC< DC,or Atlanta for that matter.

It sounds like you have never been to So Calif, luckily for for the poster, he was able to visit before making the move, that is the only way anyone can begin to get any idea what an area is really like.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
LA gets a bad rap because they're still thinking it's the LA of the 90s where one half lives in luxury while the other half lives in a Mad Max style wasteland filled with gangs and violence.

Whenever I tell people I am moving to LA, they automatically think. "you're going to get killed".

After 9/11 though I think that NYC and LA have vastly improved.
It isn't all that difference than the 90s I don't think. The positive part is, reduction in crime, you are rgiht about that, but Los Angeles is a very different city and I can understand why some find it less than the perfect haven to live. It is almost a love/hate thing. You rarely see people saying, Los Angeles area is nice, I enjoy living here but if I had to move it wouldn't bother me a bit...You hear: I can't wait to get the heck out of here or, don't say anything about my heaven here on earth decause Los Angeles is heaven.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:23 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let's just say this, although it is possible to survive without a car, and I assume you do know how to drive, right? It is very challenging to survive in a city that is car friendly, but not mass transit friendly. Will you to persuing a movie career like so many other young people or will you be transferring with the company you are now working for? One of the hardest parts of trying to get a job in Los Angeles, is the commute issues without a car, depending on what part of town you live in and where you end up working. You are right, it is nothing like living in or even near NYC< DC,or Atlanta for that matter.

It sounds like you have never been to So Calif, luckily for for the poster, he was able to visit before making the move, that is the only way anyone can begin to get any idea what an area is really like.
It's not quite as bad as this post makes it out to seem. I pretty much rely on the PT for everything (job interviews, chores, leisure) here in LA. I don't find the system to be lacking compared to my last city, Boston - in fact I find it to be more extensive here, just slower (unless you are afraid of occasionally riding buses, then there's no help for you).

DC and NYC are another story though, I'm sure.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
L.A is like a magical place people from all over america and the world come here for a better life or to experience the american dream people from chicago and new york move here maybe they won't admit it due to ego but the ones I've met fell in love with los angeles the women & weather is second to none and throw in the quality of life the beaches palm trees big houses barbeques legal weed the mountains and desert and it really is the most diverse city on earth its a certain energy you get in L.A from the pride of the people rooting for the lakers and dodgers the love for gangsta rap 2pac the tattoos & piercings the giant malls the swapmeets the feeling that you have to look decent in L.A have a nice body nice car & clothes is a must in L.A so those who dont like are those that can't keep up with the socal lifestyle

Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Not to mention the stream of thought style of blogging.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi768 View Post
My husband writes screenplays too and we too are thinking of moving to LA from Tampa FL. Scared to death to pick the wrong area to live in. What did you finally decide?
I did decide to move to Los Angeles, and I will be doing that this year. Good luck with your plans, Tampa is wearing me down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles