U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 PM

34,702 posts, read 17,885,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
People operating vehicles and not paying attention are infinitely scarier and more dangerous every day than earthquakes.
They're also scarier and more dangerous than root canals, but I still try to take precautions against those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They're also scarier and more dangerous than root canals, but I still try to take precautions against those.
Well that's just it - take precautions for earthquakes, and relax. None of the paralyzing fear so many outside observers seem to expect needs to be realized.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 PM

2,920 posts, read 9,043,829 times
I know these answers are highly unsatidfying to many, but you live with the knowledge that a destructive earthquake could happen, but that is something you know, just as you know you could be involved in a serious auto accident through no fault of your own. There is literally nothing you can do other than generic precautions...and most buildings are safe, so people really don't have a reason to be overly dramatic or scared. It is a regional risk factor and isn't anything that a normal person would be scared about on a day to day basis.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:14 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,630,508 times
I don't think about it at all. It's out of our hands. It's like driving down the road in Iraq, sure there's a real good chance I'll get blown up and either killed or maimed. But so what, there were more trucks than bombs Same applies in CA, it's such a lage area to pinpoint exactly where. My only hope is that the bulk of the quake is in the desert areas. Like the Hector Mine quake. It was a 7.1 and I slept through it lol

Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM

27,342 posts, read 29,875,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I have a much greater chance of getting hit by a bus or getting impaled by a low flying duck than I do of every dying in an earthquake so I wonder when one will hit but I do not worry about it.
I think living in the aftermath of a quake is a lot worse than dying. If we ever get a quake like the ones they've gotten in Chile or Japan over the last few years, the aftermath will last for at least a decade.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 PM

29 posts, read 119,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think living in the aftermath of a quake is a lot worse than dying. If we ever get a quake like the ones they've gotten in Chile or Japan over the last few years, the aftermath will last for at least a decade.
There is no doubt it will be bad, but I think the resilience of LA will surprise people.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 PM

10,894 posts, read 10,591,012 times
This thread is going to jinx us.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 PM

105 posts, read 192,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Actually I have done my own research on this and the San Andreas runs right under Palm Springs and San Bernardino , BUT the energy from the quake will be pushed into Los Angeles and will travel in all directions all the way from Santa Barbara to San Diego and the Imperial Valley.
Do you know what a 7.3 earthquake feels like from 100 miles away? I do. I can guess roughly how far an earthquake is based on the length of the waves.

Here is some important research to do. Do you know what affect the duration of a quake has on the Richter scale? Do you know if a 8.0 quake is better or worse if it lasts 1 minute compared to 10 minutes? I think there was a 8.0 quake in Alaska many years ago that lasted about 10 minutes. How deadly was it? How deadly would it have been if it was in a more populated area? The answers to those questions are ignored by the news media.

As for where the San Andreas is, if you take the Antelope Valley freeway from Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) to Palmdale, you can see the very crooked lines in the rock that was cut out for the freeway where the San Andreas is. It is in the area just before Palmdale; I think a little before the lake.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 PM

105 posts, read 192,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Northridge had its "Big One." The stress on the fault(s) most likely shifted to the north and northwest. Which means communities such as Santa Clarita, Newhall, Valencia, Fillmore, Ojai, etc are probably at more risk for a large quake than Northridge is.
Using that logic, those other communities would have gotten quakes after the Sylmar quake in 1971. If quakes are that predictable, then Simi Valley is next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles